• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE installed need DS

Brian Carpenter

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a NP231 SYE from PORC, and haven't put it under the jeep since I would lose wheeling time while I measure and order the DS from Tom Woods. Have any of you done this mod? Do you remember the length? I run a D-44 in the rear of my 88 XJ

Thanks in advance-
-bc

Brian Carpenter said:
I run a D-44 in the rear of my 88 XJ
and? For best results, you need to measure the distances on your jeep. If you go to Tom Woods website it shows how to measure. Anyways, what works for someone else might be too long or too short for you.

it takes less than a week for PORC To get their driveshafts in, they usually dont' take very long. Better to do it the right way the first time.

sorry to hijact but does anyone know if its alright to do without a new driveshaft and sye for a little while until i have money saved or am i hurting more? and the same with the pinion angle being off.

jeepinxj99 said:
sorry to hijact but does anyone know if its alright to do without a new driveshaft and sye for a little while until i have money saved or am i hurting more? and the same with the pinion angle being off.

I think it is fine for a while (depending on how much you drive) My 88 is a trail; rig.. locked front and rear. I put about 1200 miles on it a year. I had the stock drivetrain in use for 2 years with a 6"lift (that has sagged by now) and originally a d-35c. All of that worked well until I over-stresed the pinion (tore out the bearing, sheared off the pinion shaft, and cracked the housing) of the lincoln-locked d-35c and had to junk the axle. It was at that point that I did the SYE, new rear DS and a d-44. The 44 is under it, but I have been waiting for the snow to swap the transfer case and order the DS.

As far as your pinion angle concern.. I would look into a couple of drop-shackles for the leaf springs.. they will add 1-1 1/2 inches of lift (or so they say) and tilt the axle properly. I have found that shims promote axle twist and shorten spring life in the same way lift blocks will.

My friend ran 3" of lift and 31's for a while on his 98. He had some vibes but nothing too bad. He ruined the bearings in his transfer case in about a year from the vibes and the angles...

Try a local drive shop. Most can make you a new drive shaft in a day so you dont lose any time at all then.

Do it right the first time. Install the SYE, then measure DS distance per the Tom woods website. Install the DS and then measure your angles and shim appropriately. While your waiting for the new Driveshaft, put it in 4 x 4 and run it on your front D-30. You'll do fine as long as you don't overdo it.

Brian Carpenter said:
I installed a NP231 SYE from PORC, and haven't put it under the jeep since I would lose wheeling time while I measure and order the DS from Tom Woods. Have any of you done this mod? Do you remember the length? I run a D-44 in the rear of my 88 XJ

Thanks in advance-
-bc
I have an 87(w/Aw4-231) w/porc sye. When I spoke to Tom he told me to take measurements and I ordered my shaft before I pulled my case apart. I am also running a xj dana 44 in the rear and my new tom woods d.s is the same lenght as the stock unit in the front. So I can use the front or rear d.s in either position. So to awnser your question I think it is about 32 1/2 inches(center of travel) or the same lenght as the stock front shaft.

xjoe said:
I have an 87(w/Aw4-231) w/porc sye. When I spoke to Tom he told me to take measurements and I ordered my shaft before I pulled my case apart. I am also running a xj dana 44 in the rear and my new tom woods d.s is the same lenght as the stock unit in the front. So I can use the front or rear d.s in either position. So to awnser your question I think it is about 32 1/2 inches(center of travel) or the same lenght as the stock front shaft.

Finally!

thanks for the measurements. Lift aside you have the exact same setup.
(it is the internet after all.. someone had to have it!)
Thank You,
-bc

all you have to do is measure how far the sye comes out from the case then get under your jeep and measure from that distance to your pinion yoke . its always best to measure YOUR vehicle weather your is the same on paper or not.

Back