• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

switching to a ox locker

Yeah, 'cause those are "ultra" reliable. The air lines NEVER fail.

ARB's make me happy I got an OX.

Air lines fail due to Installation error! Not due to a air line just leaking.

Cables come out of adjustment due to the inherent design and stretching, and also variable cable length with the changing radius of the bends, causing the locker not to function.

And your right the OX is so much better than the ARB and much more reliable. No wonder why no one runs an OX in ANY CalRocks, UROC, KOH Or Ultra4 car that I know of, yet I bet a close estimate is that 95% of the selectable lockers in all the rigs in those organizations are ARB.

But hey to each their own.

I mean hell, why put a spool in anything either right? Just weld it :gee:

Air lines fail due to Installation error! Not due to "an" air line just leaking.

That my friend is a crock and you know it. I've been around too many to know that is not true. Lines get pinched, crack and then leak, cables don't.

That my friend is a crock and you know it. I've been around too many to know that is not true. Lines get pinched, crack and then leak, cables don't.

:confused1 SO its the air lines fault that it was installed somewhere to get pinched? Crack? the nylon line doesnt just crack. and if your a good installer / shop, you typically sleeve that air line and never have to worry about a thing.

Again, a quality install the First time will assure trouble free air delivery for over a decade.

:confused1 SO its the air lines fault that it was installed somewhere to get pinched? Crack? the nylon line doesnt just crack. and if your a good installer / shop, you typically sleeve that air line and never have to worry about a thing.

Again, a quality install the First time will assure trouble free air delivery for over a decade.

Look man, I'm not going to argue with you about the structural intergrity of nylon, but I do know they crack. They're susceptible to heat and sharp objects including rock, and just like any other nylon product they progressively dry over time. ARB doesn't include "sleeves" with their product, do they? So that's custom. We're not talking about custom. We're talking about standard out-of-the-box equipment. That being said, the nylon lines ARE the weak link of ARB's, and I've seen too many fail over and over and over again. If I were to compare selectable lockers' delivery system, the nylon line to the insulated steel cable that Ox provides the answer would be clear. Nylon would lose.

And it's the cable's fault for being installed somewhere it gets pulled on and stretched? It's the same thing. :doh:

And it's the cable's fault for being installed somewhere it gets pulled on and stretched? It's the same thing. :doh:

I agree. The only way an ox is going to pop out is if it is misadjusted or the cable is too short so its sheath gets stretched or it is bent/kinked, both due to improper length or routing.

I don't like the cable design because it is annoying to route but that has nothing to do with its reliability when installed properly.

I agree. The only way an ox is going to pop out is if it is misadjusted or the cable is too short so its sheath gets stretched or it is bent/kinked, both due to improper length or routing.

I don't like the cable design because it is annoying to route but that has nothing to do with its reliability when installed properly.
I can see what he means about the cable stretching but I don't know about anyone else, but my shop compressor builds up moisture a lot in the summer from the heat and humidity. That right there you run the risk of rotting the bottom of the tank, getting moisture in the diffs, and you have to drain it. That seems like maintenance to me. With an OX's cable you keep it tight and greased. It's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. They're both good in their own ways and both have their issues. You'll never get a perfect product.

Obviously people are going to take preference of one over the other, it's common nature.

This thread started as "Will I have to reset my gears when I install an OX?" not "I want to hear everyone complain about what they like better." So to the OP, I would first do a pattern test to figure out where you're at to start with, then I would remove the bearings off the carrier and grind out the centers so they slide on and off with slight effort(test bearings) and double check with the OX, and adjust accordingly. Once set, you need new bearings, but it's good insurance to replace bearings while it's apart anyways.

this thread reminds me of a saying I read in a book the other day. It was funny so I thought I would pass it on. It had to do with someone who was in an argument and said,

"You dont have to eat the whole turd to know it is a piece of sh*t."

Kinda funny I thought. It fits in here somewhere, just not sure where. I personally dont know if the OX is any good, but have heard lots of people complain about OX, ARB and Lockright so whatever. I just broke a ring gear in a d30 with a lockright on 35's. checking the ring gear surface on the carrier it had a run out of .020 Im not sure if I bent the carrier by driving it over the broken teeth or if it bent then caused the ring gear to fail. I ran that lockright for many years though with no problems. I am just now putting a detroit up front. I figure that can help.

anyhow bottom line is a full case locker has to be better than a lockright as long as you dont mind keeping it running right. Even with my detroit Im going to have to pop the cover and look it over and drain the oil periodically.

this kinda got off topic though, his question was about the install. I think John already answered it.

KH

Ya I'm gona have to add +2 to the ox.

I'm suprised no one mentioned how arb have (some not all) have had problems with the seel in the diff that the operates the locking ring, potensionally blowing oil out the vebt tube

Dublepost

Last edited:
I have heard that even with an electric shifter or an air shifter a cable is still needed. Is this true?

For the electric activated method, a shorter cable is used to connect the solenoid assembly to the differential cover. Where to mount the solenoid assembly is up to you.

For the air activated method, an air chamber screws directly into the side of the differential cover, and directly activates the shift fork. No cable is used.

I went for the air option when I put in my replacement 30 axle that already had an OX in it. This replaced my ARB axle, so I had air already routed to the front axle. No need to figure out how to route the cable that way. I do have to extend the air line a bit, since the air chamber is on the front of the housing, and the ARB air line went into the top of the housing.

David Bricker / SYR

For the air activated method, an air chamber screws directly into the side of the differential cover, and directly activates the shift fork. No cable is used.

David Bricker / SYR

That is nice to know. However, I was hopeing to be able to get away from buying extra support equipment (a compressor). The cable and cable routing is a big turnoff. From the reviews I have read adjusting the cable could be more of a hit and miss along with regular adjusting. I wounder if OX will come out with an electric shifter that screws directly onto the cover eliminating the cable completely?

All in all, I like the ruggedness and the fact that not many people have broken the unit itself speaks volume of the product.

The adjusting of the cable isn't that hard. Just some what time consumeing. But here is a good write up for doing it with the new setup
http://demon4x4.com/Tech/oxs.htm

Back