• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swing Down Tire Carrier

it looks like it will do the job, but be pretty awkward with a full-size spare in place. I'd also hate to see it in an off-camber situation.. where low CofG is more important, especially since you already have your hi-lift up top.
just my .02 , i'm sure you'll work it all out, AND it'll work to YOUR satisfaction.

You are going to be doing a LOT of weight lifting with this setup. You are looking at not only the weight of the spare, but you mentioned two jerry can holders as well! What is that, roughly 50 lbs for the 32" spare tyre and wheel, bit over 40 lbs each for jerry and fuel plus the weight of the carrier itself. That would be a 130-140 lbs which you will picking up over half of!

harwood39 said:
i would for sure pull the cans out to tip it down.

so wait. now to access the hatch, you have to go to the back. unload everything off the swing except the tire, unhook the two hooks, lower it down, do whatever you're gonna do back there, and then reverse it all to put it away?
seems like a lot of work...
I'm not convinced....

blocks rear view and brake light.

Add a sheet of diamond plate so when you swing it down its a instance table. That would be cool!

Maybe another horizontal bar at the hinges so the swing down would be a roof rack ladder too.

Looks good but complicated. Also looks like a great rear window blocker. And is it kinda a biotch to get to the trunk as the tire swings down and it looks like it'd be in the way if you wanted to stand directly behind the trunk?

well ok, i know its kinda a pain to get into the hatch, but im not in the hatch everyday and i cant haul anything else back there(got a welder, tool box, and a bunch of other stuff for search and rescue) Soon will have a power tank in the place where the spare was. And i know it blocks rear view(find me a tire carrier that wont) and the third brake light, but i am adidng a couple lights into the bumper.

I like the ladder idea, kinda one reason why i made it a fold down so i can use it as a step but ya, it could use another bar.

also, i will keep everyone updated for sure. Most people hate the ideas for things i will be doing to the jeep, but its mine so idc what others think. Like i am removing the rear seat, putting a tool box on one side and a storage box on the other. They will be on ball bearing sliders so they can pull out through the doors for access. Than i am putting a power tank where the spare used to be, a welder, and power inverter in the hatch area. Along with other misc things.

Than, this is the interesting part, where the rear 2 side windows are, those will become little hatches to access the trunk area too. I have a glass company in town that can drill out the glass for hinges and a latch so i can retain the glass if i really want to, than seal it with the same weather stripping used on doors. And if the glass becomes too much of a pain, either tinted plexi or just a sheet of steel.

Also can anyone get me the measurements of a jerry can??

here is a link to my project page http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=243654701#post243654701

Last edited:
Way to go! Good job!
I say build what you want for your own reasons!
I am thinking something similar only more like the Poison spyder rear TJ stinger.

you built it? did you build it the way you want it? are you happy with it?
thats the great thing about building something yourself, you get what you want (normally).
course you post here your gonna get some criticism, but thats good too, now you have new ideas for the next build.

I like it if for no other reason than I haven't seen one like it before, which is what I go for when I build things... which I suck at normally.

i wish it would have been more like the poison spyder design, but i had the tubes already bent went i got them. They where originally for a front stinger on a yj, got 2 sets for free from a buddy.

im def. going to remount the everything on my roof to that, dont know where to mount the high lift on it yet.i wnat it to be on the backside as i want the room for the jerry cans. any help would be great.

not underpowered... I have a 6000w/12000w power inverter. And going to dual bats. I have a Lincoln Pro Mig 140 which is a 110v (20amp 3000w to 5000w constant/10000w peak draw) ac welder that is going in the back. Trust me, i know i cant use one ofe the welders i have in my production shop(miller XMT 460v). It is just for quick trail repairs, not production type welding.

Back