• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sway bar hitting spring with 3" lift

Believe & Receive

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have this problem with their front sway bar? On the passenger side the top "nub" of the sway bar is kinda up under the spring so when ya hit a bump you can hear it hit and click, but on the driver side it is about 1/4 inch away so that one does not hit. When the BOSS gets home ill have her post some pictures. Anyone dealt with this problem or have any ideas? Im by Copper Penny in South East if anyone is around and wants to take a look. Thanks, jimmy

I pretty sure its not hitting your springs.

LOL, Thank you i feel much better now :) wow i was looking at it and it was right under my spring that loud noise i hear and that thump i feel must be nothing. Im a smart ass but yeah it is hitting. Guess its my bad though for not mentioning it had been hit slightly in the front on that side. It has since been pulled out but my sway bar looks to be about 1/4 inch pushed back. Im hoping maybe my sway bar could have just bent slightly or maybe shifted itself to the left of the front left bracket causing it to push back a tad but the rubber IS most definitely up under the spring. Im referring to the top of the sway bar link. (yes i had to look that up) My friend has the same 98 xj his is stock and they seem to sit really close anyway. Could the 3" lift require getting a upgraded bar and maybe some shorter arms which would pull the bar down giving me the clearance? My bad i should have my ducks in a row with pictures before i post asking for help. Thought maybe this could have been common.

If you got hit hard enough so that your sway bar is hitting your spring, you have bigger issues to worry about.

I'd like to see the pic so I can figure out what the nub part of the sway bar is for sure, but I'm thinking you are referring to the connection point from sway bar end link to sway bar itself. I had a similar problem with my 5.5" lift and had to relocate the sway bar down and back about an inch with the included relo bracket.

Check to see if your axle is centered, or if your control arms are aligned properly. How long have you had the lift? What lift is it? Is this a new problem?

I've got the same thing going on, pretty sure centering the axle with a proper track bar and/or sway bar link extensions will fix it.

I just purchased the xj last week and it is my first. The guy i got it from lost his job and needed to sell it, It was also his first and he only had it for about 3 weeks. The hit in the front was not bad and it has been heated and straightened. It measures out ok so there is no frame damage. He had bought a used Rubicon Express 3" lift and put it on but he did not upgrade anything else. ROCKNXJ "I'm thinking you are referring to the connection point from sway bar end link to sway bar itself" YES that is what it is and its only the rubber bushing part. Im going to need a quick release sway bar anyways right? Anyone got one for sale? lol Thanks everybody! Ill check to see if Axel and Track are centered.

Do a driveway alignment to see if everything checks out and measures the way it should. Check toe in, axle centering, and all that. See if your tires hit the lower control arms during full turn. Before I swapped to an adjustible track bar, my axle was off just enough to rub the dirver's LCA during full turn.

Naturally, I do not know the extent of your damage, but check to see if your sway bar is bent, or if the spring is seated properly in its perch.

You can find used JKS sway bar "quicker" disconnects on the forum or in craig's list fairly easily. If you are handy with tools, you can also make a set. Also look for an RE 1600 track bar or equivalent. With discos and a better track bar, you'll have what you need for greater articulation with the 3" lift.

Don't forget to post pics. Oh, and sign up for a NAXJA membership and start taking advantage of the full benefit of being a paid forum associate and all-around great guy. (you'll also find vendor discounts).

Like was mentioned you need sway bar extensions/disconnects or sway bar drop brackets for over 3" of lift. Any of these options should help the problem.

x2, longer links required. Mine as well make them quick-disco's. Most manufacturers offer adjustable links so you can keep the same ones for various heights up to a point (usually in 2-3" increments)

Hey, thanks for taking my advice and becoming a new NAXJA member. There's no looking back now! Come drive the Rubicon with us in the Sierra Chapter and I'll buy you a beer.

Back