• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suspension lift

BasselAlawar

NAXJA Forum User
Greetings,

I am new to this forum and its my pleasure! I am from Lebanon middle east!
I have a 1998 xj with 6" lift kit on short arms. The current setup is 4.5 RE coils with 1.5" coil spacer at the front and 5" leaf spring with 1" shackle at the rear.
The ride is bumpy and somehow harsh. What is your advice?

I think 6" lift with short control arms is too much- pulls the front axle back a bit and makes getting the right pinion/ Castor angles about impossible. Too much geometry-
I'd yank out the spacers in front and the shackle in back but I'm a newbie here so hopefully others will chime in with more experience

Pull the spacers up front, get shackle relocation boxes of your choice in the rear and set them up to match the 4.5 in front. Get drop brackets for the front. Enjoy the smoother ride. If still not where you want it, start looking at better shocks.

Are your fenders not trimmed but running 33/35's and that's why it's 6"?

If you wheel, the RE drop brackets will cost you a lot of ground clearance. I would look into a set of LA's at that lift. I'm running at 6" w/ RE springs and love my ride!

They take up no more clearance than longarms do. The arms go right through the middle of where the drop brackets run.

But they are about $500 cheaper.

They take up no more clearance than longarms do. The arms go right through the middle of where the drop brackets run.

But they are about $500 cheaper.

Yeah, my biggest regret was believing drop brackets were bad and going with a 4.5" long arm when I really only needed a 3" and drop brackets. Now any time I need to pull the transmission cross member, I need to mess with the suspension and that adds a good 30-45 minutes to what could be a simple task.
Live and learn.

I'd invest in some good quality shocks as well

Out here, db's are just known as "rock magnets"! We actually had one of the local members split his entire frame rail open! Never been hung-up with la's!

LA's if you wheel and drop brackets if you just drive it on the streets...that will change your angles add better shocks and you will be golden.

Its funny how that can be a problem in arizona, but not at the hammers.

Thank you all for your advises! for better view; I have adjustable lca and uca; OME shocks and double cardan driveshaft. I didnt trim the fenders and have 35s. I read alot about drop brackets and my main concern is clearance. I haven't found a good long arm kit with no welding required!
What kind of shocks do you consider are the best? and arent ome shocks good?

Here is my rig
20160827_150616954_i_OS.jpg

Its funny how that can be a problem in arizona, but not at the hammers.

If you listen to one person in this thread, make it cal

Could you Kindly tell me which are bolts on?
I saw BDS- the issue is that I have ax15 and not auto transmission
I saw Clayton- it requires welding
I saw Rusty- has bad reviews

Can you kindly assist

If you don't want to weld go with TNT. Very well constructed plus you get full coverage underneath your rig. I love my TNT kit.

Back