• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sure a dana 30 can handle 35 inch tires.

KarlVP said:
My rig has been a trailer queen for more than a year.

I pushed it WAY too far.

Ever drive down RT 2 in front wheel drive with a front detroit? Take the back roads...
try it with an aussie... or don't not too much fun. It hopped every time I shifted gears.

KarlVP said:
IMHO the dana 30 is a great axle. I beat the ever living piss out of mine. Yes I have had a few failures.

However, it has NEVER left me stranded. (It is a mighty fine polished turd). But there have been occasions when I drove home on the front end after breaking driveshafts or rear end parts.

Now that I have the tow rig, my retardedness skills have advanced even more.

I'm really amazed it has lasted as long as it has.

Is the dana 30 the greatest axle ever?... probably.

Will a dana 60 shit parts with me wheeling on it... probably. Just a matter of time.

In summation; wheel it till it breaks repeatedly. Once it starts breaking every weekend, it's time to upgrade.
"Wheel it till it breaks.." That's why like you I couldn't see changing axles out now. I agree 100% with in reason like you, 35's are the boundary for me, and or pushing the envelope of the D30. That's why I'm still wheelin' the D30. Some people feel the 33's are it for the D30... safer yes. We definately add stress to the D30 when 35's are on it. How much depends on how we use them. Imo, if I have to upgrade then I will go with the D60.. I've seen what it takes to break a 60 compared to a 44 or a 30 and if you need to upgrade, ihmo don't waste the money on anything less if you have 35's or bigger and plan on wheelin' it...
That's all. Oh yeah, I have a lot of respect of what the D30 can do as well... and like you I'll see what breaks and how before considering a change out.... with my 35's on it.

Once you start to break a few parts on your 30....its all downhill from there.
But up to that point, its hard to beat that axle, and I run mine out at JV on a regular basis, on 35's.
I'm not too sure how it will do when I get those 40's though...
:D

KarlVP said:
In summation; wheel it till it breaks repeatedly. Once it starts breaking every weekend, it's time to upgrade.

that is exactly how i felt about stock tie rods, lol. when it got to 3 in one day it was... "that time"

:laugh3:

mojojojo said:
that is exactly how i felt about stock tie rods, lol. when it got to 3 in one day it was... "that time"

:laugh3:

and You still waited multiple months to upgrade. You broke 2 or 3 in August and the same amount again in October.

Back