• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

superior or Warn

Has anyone broken the carrier while using either a Dana 30 27-Spline Warn/Superiour shaft or on a 30-Spline Dana 44? The carrier's in question are the Detroit Locker and ARB. I don't think it happens too often but curious how many XJs have had this happen since the shafts and u-joints are stronger than ever.

Is FarmerMatt running a Detroit in his front EB dana 44?

4WDXPRT said:
Has anyone broken the carrier while using either a Dana 30 27-Spline Warn/Superiour shaft or on a 30-Spline Dana 44? The carrier's in question are the Detroit Locker and ARB. I don't think it happens too often but curious how many XJs have had this happen since the shafts and u-joints are stronger than ever.

I broke a Detroit TrueTrac back in the day (6 years ago?) with welded 297's and spicer shafts.

D-30 carriers are tiny.

CRASh

race_judge said:
I busted my stock D-30 long shaft in Moab Sat, and I need new shafts, I am not that hard on my stuff normally, just did a stupid thing( and I am not telling what) , who sells the yukon shafts at a good price?

John

Momma always says......stupid is as stupid does....... :wierd:

4WDXPRT said:

I broke an ARB for my hp44 not to long ago. It was about 18months old and the side gears were stripped off. I sent it back to ARB, they warrentied it quickly and told me that they only warrenty about 6 or so a year in the D44's, but they warrenty lots of D30's. At the time when mine broke I was turning about 6 grand on a stroker motor, 38TSL's,warn shafts and CTMs. The stub shaft broke, the CTM broke and the ARB still was locked and had turned itself into a spool(it wouldn't unlock at all). Now I still don't know what gave first, my theory is...the stub shaft broke, the the CTM got wiped out causing a quick unloading and lashing on the ARB side gear,stripping the teeth off.
On a side bar, I was bitching about the Warn warrenty earlier in this post, called again today and they just sent them out....so hopefully they will be here soon.

My experience with Superior has been good. I have the stock replacement shafts(read: untreated) with 297 joints in my CJ Dana 30. On my second trip out with them, I broke an ear off a stub shaft. The unharmed spicer joint fell to the ground. I sent back the inner and outer shafts with the good u-joint, and received a complete new set under warranty. The only other problem I have is that when the shafts broke it caught the ball joint, it broke again at the splines in the carrier, broke the carrier and bearing, broke the lock right, and shaft fragments got into the ring and pinion taking the ring gear out. They were good to replace the shafts, but I'm on my own to replace the ring and pinion, locker, carrier and bearings.

Well... now I don't know what to say. I took 3 shafts by my machinest. The only "hardness" tester he has is the pen type tester that drops a steel rod & catches it at the top of the bounce. I admit that this isn't very accurate, but does get you in the ball park. Both the Currie & Spicer tested at around 38. The thing that threw me for a loop is the warn barley tested 30? We tried in several places along the shaft all with the same results. Also doing the old file test the warns would grab the file where as the others would just allow the file to skate on by. Now I'm really baffled.

Matt

What scale was he testing in? There are several different ones which could be why the numbers different. I'm not exactly sure why those numbers came up. I did email Warn and Superior today and I will see if any of the local guys have either shafts that I could have our Met guys run some tests on.

As for the variance in the Yukon shaft hardness, I would say that it's due to then Quality Control at the plant that does their shafts(India I believe). I would expect the shafts from Warn to have a higher quality control and they should be able to hold a consistent hardness.

4340 should have a hardness of Rockwell C42-46. Anything above 48 becomes brittle.

300M however should be treated to a Rockwell C of 50/54.

Back