• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SubThump 10" Box

apaz321

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought and installed this SubThump box and speaker. Have not wired in the amp but it was a super easy install and fit perfect just wanted to share a pic and some kudos to the guys at SubThump it totally beats the 2 or 3 hundred you'll spend on a stealth box. The instructions were well written and easy to follow as well. Check it out
http://subthump.com/Jeep-Sub-Boxes/Cherokee

What speaker are you using and what amp are you planning to run? I would like to get one of these and run the Dayton sub, but I'm stuck at the moment trying to find an amp that will fit under the seat.

What speaker are you using and what amp are you planning to run? I would like to get one of these and run the Dayton sub, but I'm stuck at the moment trying to find an amp that will fit under the seat.

A zapco studio 300 amp will fit and a memphis amp will fit. The zapco sounds waaaaaay better because it's a class A/B. Check them out on ebay, they come out often.

I've been running one of these for 2 years now, and I love it.

Running a JL 10-w1 in the box. No new rattles as a result of the sub. Fosgate 300 watt amp under the rear seat, fits just fine.

Sounds great to me, but I'm not looking for big, overpowering bass.

I have a fosgate 10" punch speaker and i ordered my box with the adapter so you can run a deeper speaker. and im actually going to try and find a good amp today so i can do a clean set up and mount the amp under the front passenger seat. i didnt post pictures because what he has on his site looks just like it haha it sits flush and looks super clean even with the spacer rig to run deeper subs. all the instruction were really easy to follow definitely recommend this buy 110% :thumbup: they also give a 10" or 8" option for the box. here is a pict of mine anyway
http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/k582/apaz321/

I finished everything last night hooked up the amp and it sounds nice. mounted the amp under the passenger seat, i had to take out some insolation so it would sit lower but that was it.now the seat moves front to back no prob. it was a little bit of work but it turned out nice. ran all the wires through the panels so its clean and no wires show.my dumbass took pictures of everything when i had the seat off then once i was all done i realized it didnt have a memory card in the camera haha so no pics sorry.

thats not a lot of volume of air for an 8 let alone a 10.

yeah well to each his own is what it comes down to i guess and personal sound preference. I was really wanting something that took up no space and sounds decent.I had 2 12's in a box in the back storage area and they sounded amazing, but took up space. All am i saying is that one ten back there in a box sounds good and the bass hits hard enough to sound good in the jeep and will not rattle the windows in the neighborhood. Plus since its a hatch and has all that SUV space back there it makes a difference and does carry the bass well. Pretty much ist a good set up for someone that wants the space and doesnt mind not having brain rattling bass haha. also depends if you get a good 10 and amp you can get that rattle but it will cost a pretty penny.

my 10 is in a 14x15x14 box (i think.. been a while since i made it) and it really isnt that bad. takes up some space but its just strapped down right now. once i do some other things i'll tuck it away nicer. i like having the extra bottom end... 6.5" woofers just dont do it for me.

Ok so I just installed this box and can say WOW i was very impressed with how it sounds for such a small box. I went searching for a shallow mount sub that was rated as close to the box volume as possible. I found a pioneer 10" shallow sub that was rated at a minimum box volume of .35 cubic feet. Iam running a 500 watt MTX thunder sub amp and some poly fill in the box and it sounds great!!!

Finally finished up my install on my SubThump box today and thought I'd provide a little feedback. First off, I must say I was very impressed with the construction of the box. There was obviously a lot of though put into designing it. Nice mitered corners to squeeze in a little extra volume, all seams sealed, completely carpeted all the way around the exterior (front and back) even though all you'll ever see once it's mounted is the front panel. Instructions were a bit vague in regards to which "tabs" had to be trimmed off the unibody to get the box to fit, but after you look at it a bit you can figure it out pretty easily. Shipping was nearly a deal breaker on this purchase for me as it tacked on nearly another $45 to my purchase. I emailed my concern over the shipping but was assured that's what UPS was charging him.

First off, stock cargo area cubby hole:

100_0386.jpg

100_0387.jpg

100_0390.jpg

A few years back I installed a Select Increments XJ Pod:

100_0371.jpg

100_0372.jpg

100_0375.jpg

And now the SubThump box:

100_0404.jpg

100_0405.jpg

100_0407.jpg

As you can see, the SubThump box sits flush with the panel so it actually takes up less space than the XJ Pod. You can see the indentation in the carpet on the floor of the cargo area from where the XJ Pod used to sit.

Re: SubThump 10" (or 8") Box

Now for a few behind the scenes shots. I wish I had more, but I didn't have my camera handy while I was doing all the prep work. I completely lined the backside of the exterior body panel from the C-pillar to the D-pillar with DynaMat Extreme. That was a major PITA getting all the way up under the rear window and behind the seatbelt tensioner, but hopefully the DynaMat makes a difference for me. The rattles from my XJ Pod drove me nuts to the point that I'd keep my bass turned all the way down. I was going to do whatever I could to help make sure that didn't happen with this box.

Here's the box mounted up without the panel in place:

100_0399.jpg

It is attached to the unibody with one screw up front:

100_0401.jpg

And two at the rear:

100_0400.jpg

If you look at the above picture you can see the hole I drilled to reroute the lift-gate wiring.

Here's a head on shot of the finished product:

100_0402.jpg

For reference, I have an 8" Polk/MOMO MM2084 installed in there. Polk recommends .35 cu ft and this box is .32 cu ft so I stuffed some polyfill in there to help make up the difference. SubThump will also make the box with a 10" hole, but I already had this 8" Polk and I'm not into pissing off the neighbors anyways. I just wanted this sub to help fill in the lows that my speakers don't provide.

If you compare the first pic in this post to the last one, you'll notice the dimensions of the box are different than what you end up seeing once the panel is reinstalled. The panel actually sits in front of the box and just acts as a frame to cover the screws that you attached the box to the unibody with. The box does not protrude through the panel at all.

The color match on the carpet is fair, but by no means an exact match, at least for the 97-01 Camel color. It looks a little pale or faded in comparison to the factory carpeting. Maybe it matches early model tan interiors better? I really don't know...

Whether this install ends up looking professional or ends up looking like garbage really comes down to how good of a job you do cutting out the cubby. Since the box doesn't stick through the cubby it's really up to you as to where exactly you cut it. I would recommend cutting along the inside of the cubby right where it is at the same depth as the groove surrounding it. This will give the appearance of a "bead" running around the SubThump box and will make the panel sit nice and flush up against the carpeting on the new box. That is where I made my first attempt at cutting out the cubby. It didn't go so well... I was using a jigsaw and it drifted up on top of the "bead" as I was rounding a corner. Second attempt I used a utility knife and followed the top of the "bead" around the cubby. I made a couple of slow careful passes with the knife and it cut through it beautifully. I then took a Dremel with a sanding drum to it and smoothed out all the edges. Final product was nice, smooth, straight edges. It doesn't sit flush against the carpet as I was hoping for, but it looks good overall and I'm sure I'm the only one it will bother. You can see the gap in this picture:

So how does it sound? I don't know. My little boy was napping when I finished up and I never got a chance to try it out after that. I'll play around with it while I'm out snow wheelin' tomorrow and will post up my findings...

Well, snow wheeling didn't provide the opportunity I was hoping for. The run was a lot of fun, but I had the dog in the cargo area and the little boy strapped into his car seat in the back. I tried turning it up for a bit but it bothered the boy (he's only 2) and scared the crap out of the dog...

So tonight I ran to the drugstore for the wife. It was only a couple of miles round trip but man, what a difference! I've been listening to music without bass for so long that I had kind of forgotten what it was like. The 8" in this box puts out more than enough bass for my needs. Rock, rap, and Jimmy Buffett all sounded much richer and fuller than they had in a long time. I'm not turning heads or making babies cry, but I'm finally hearing my music the way it was supposed to sound. It hits nice and hard with no rattling or vibrations, from the box anyways...

I'm going to have to try to find some time to crank it up when I'm not driving so I can work on tracking down a couple of intermittent rattles I could hear elsewhere in the Jeep when the bass hit just the right frequency. I guess that is to be expected in an 11 year old vehicle though. Overall I am very pleased and would recommend the SubThump box to anyone looking to add some bass to their system without sacrificing cargo room or having to figure out what to do with a box when you fold the back seat down.

I'm going to have to try to find some time to crank it up when I'm not driving so I can work on tracking down a couple of intermittent rattles I could hear elsewhere in the Jeep when the bass hit just the right frequency. I guess that is to be expected in an 11 year old vehicle though.

Maybe your license plate is one of the rattles/noises. I can't begin to tell you how many(mainly ricer) cars I hear with radios loud and the plates making awful noise. Dynamat your plate or what I did for free on my Mustang was find some old vacuum tubing and make 4 little spacers to put between my body and my plate on the mounting screws. Solved the problem easily and cheap. YMMV.

Back