• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Subframe sleeving or T&J stiffners??? What do you suggest to beef up the unibody?

Subframe sleeving or T&J stiffners??? What do you suggest to strength the unibody?

• sleeve the frame rails

Votes: 21 45.7%
  • T&J stiffners

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 32.6%

• Total voters
Re: Subframe sleeving or T&J stiffners??? What do you suggest to beef up the unibody?

Gil BullyKatz said:
The TnT's are not channel shaped...

My info is that they are L shaped...

You are right. I stand corrected. I just went and looked at the set on the wifes XJ and they are L shaped.

-Matt

Re: Subframe sleeving or T&J stiffners??? What do you suggest to beef up the unibody?

kinda L shaped :laugh3:

DSC04351.JPG

if you build the arms into a crossmember, angle will be fine as they will be tied together.

Wow, I didn't know the TnT stiffeners where L shape. Glad I didn't get them because I would have been dissapointed.

I made mine out of 3x6 tubing and split it down the middle with a plasma cutter.
It stiffened up my roofless XJ allot and made a soild foundation to tie my cage into. I also tied the rails into my drop brackets, sliders and front and rear leaf spring mounts. Lots of carefull stitch and rossett welding with the mig.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Big Red said:
Come on Crash, post up what you have done.

I would be willing to bet Crash is out at JV where YOU should be! :laugh3:

Re: Subframe sleeving or T&J stiffners??? What do you suggest to beef up the unibody

If you're going to be installing a cage you'll want to anchor it to the sub frame, right?
If you don't sleeve the frame rails (whether using channel, angle or the TNT setup) you have no way to effectively do this.
IOW the T&J, or others like it, won't do what you want.

cracker said:
I would be willing to bet Crash is out at JV where YOU should be! :laugh3:

That's where I SHOULD be, but I'm on the baby watch!

Weather is perfect down there right now! No snow!

CRASH said:
That's where I SHOULD be, but I'm on the baby watch!

Weather is perfect down there right now! No snow!

Thanks for commenting on this thread about JV, but can you please share your vast experience on beefing the unibody please. I knew you were not making JV and were lurking around here.

You can bolt on as much stuff as you like, it will still crack at:

a) rear bumper mount bolts;
b) gas tank filler relief hole;
c) front leaf spring mount;
d) top corners of the hatch;
e) 1/3 to 1/2 way up the A-pillar;
f) A-pillar to firewall/fender support transition;
g) front crossmember to frame junction, next to the radiator.

There is only one way to fix these items. A fully integrated cage that is tied to 8-10 points along the entire length of the chassis. My 8 point cage stiffened and fixed all problems behind the A-pillar, which concentratedteh stresses forward of the firewall. I'm taking the rig down after Christmas to finish the cage from the firewall forward, as well as add provisions for the little grunion's Recaro seat. He'll be sitting on 1" .120" tube tied directly to the triangulation members behind the driver's seat.

You can see pics of what Jes and I did on the "Cagey Happenings" thread, or Jes's buildup thread. Tons of both our cages, as well as other frame stiffening stuff here:

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/pictures?userid={0641A5A9-DB40-46BE-9569-B61D5BC8B151}&albumid={B3D02FCC-E1FD-4BE3-B066-A64F50E00DDF}

Re: Subframe sleeving or T&J stiffners??? What do you suggest to beef up the unibody

kid4lyf said:
If you're going to be installing a cage you'll want to anchor it to the sub frame, right?
If you don't sleeve the frame rails (whether using channel, angle or the TNT setup) you have no way to effectively do this.
IOW the T&J, or others like it, won't do what you want.
guess again...
T&J stiffeners weld to the uni-frame and also bolt on at the spring hanger and LCA mount. I think the guys at T&J tie their jeepspeed rigs' cages into the stiffeners.

B4 you do any of these, you need to think about how they will either work with or interfere with your other stuff like rock sliders, long arms, skids, cage, etc. I've been up close and personal with the T&J's on their race XJ's. They look like they are probably the most effective stiffeners, but I won't buy em because they will cause hassles with my rocker skids and drop bracket braces and will be in the way if I choose to cut the LCA mounts off for a long arm swap.

It looks like the T&J ones wont work with long arms.

JP Magazine did a hack & weld write up about a year ago modifying T&J's
inorder to work with a LA kit.......looked pretty counter productive.

Stiffy systems can mess with alot of LA kits, some brands wont fit at all,
some require some mods and yet others (such as Claytons) will go in as
intended. Detours has changed it's front lower control arm connection inorder
to work with a few LA kits, T&J has'nt addressed this area at all as far as I
know....even running plate or angle iron interferes with alot of kits, Full
Traction comes to mind the last time I looked.

As with anything, its best to map out your build, figuring out what works
with what, sooner or later....after some abuse, this will be an area you'll
want to address if you wheel the rock.

Detour said:
JP Magazine did a hack & weld write up about a year ago modifying T&J's
inorder to work with a LA kit.......looked pretty counter productive.

Stiffy systems can mess with alot of LA kits, some brands wont fit at all,
some require some mods and yet others (such as Claytons) will go in as
intended. Detours has changed it's front lower control arm connection inorder
to work with a few LA kits, T&J has'nt addressed this area at all as far as I
know....even running plate or angle iron interferes with alot of kits, Full
Traction comes to mind the last time I looked.

As with anything, its best to map out your build, figuring out what works
with what, sooner or later....after some abuse, this will be an area you'll
want to address if you wheel the rock.
Do you know the website for Stiffy systems?

Hmmm, my bad......thats slang for referance to Unibody Stiffening System.

Theres referance to sites within this thread...and others....

Back