• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strong Gas Smell

50willys

NAXJA Member
Every time I turn off my '96 XJ I get a strong gas smell when I walk by it.
Any ideas what could be causing this?

What area are they coming from? I would check around the evap canister.

There are a number of ways you could have leaks at the fuel tank. Since the O-ring for the sending unit is in a vertical orientation it is easy to get that seal placed incorrectly when servicing the fuel pump. (Note that GM makes a version of that O-ring which has tabs to help keep it centered.) The rollover vents have rubber grommets which are likely to be old and cracked at this age. Likewise, the vacuum lines for those rollover valves may be old and cracked. The fill hose and vent hose could be the source, though I have never seen those go bad. However, if the shield to protect them is missing the probability of their getting damaged will be higher. And then there are situations such as mine, where the previous owner decided to mount his subwoofer in the rear by screwing it to the floor, right into the tank. And then removed it for sale, but patched the holes in the tank with Bondo.

And of course, you also have the gas cap itself. The seals on those do go bad over time.

Back