• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stripped Steering Box Bolt

Philprof

NAXJA Forum User
I installed my JCR bumper with tie brackets. As I was re-installing the steering box, the upper bolt stripped. I stopped as soon as I felt it give.

two questions:

1. how big of a deal is this? is it urgent that I fix it? undriveable?

2. What is the best way to fix it?

I saw one other thread on this that seemed inconclusive. Any one run into this?

thanks

adam

No offroad or fast turns until you fix it.

Helicoil the hole and everything will be better than new.

In a pinch you could drill out the box and put a nut on the other side. I would either double nut it our use a nyloc.

Don't know if you guys have Ace Hardwares out there, but around here they have the helicoil sets.

Before you drop a bunch of coin for a box, maybe a pull-n-save yard might be an option.

If it was me i would drill and tap all three holes for 1/2 - 20 and replace all the bolts with grade 8 hardware.

When I broke two bolts off in the box I ended up drilling and tapping them and going with 1/2" Grade 8 Hardware. Quick and fairly easy! Most of the bolts are a little tight to get a nut on the end of them.....even the bottom ones.

If you go to 1/2", I don't recommend 20 tip. They get messed up too easily with rust. Stick with the coarse thread. 20 tpi is sometimes harder to get in the grade 8 as well.

If you go to 1/2", I don't recommend 20 tip. They get messed up too easily with rust. Stick with the coarse thread. 20 tpi is sometimes harder to get in the grade 8 as well.

My mistake. Old man is correct. 1/2" 16 is it?

Hate to stir up an old thread, but 1/2" x 13 TPI (4" long) was what was common at both Tractor Supply and Home Depot for bolts, as well as a tap. I will be drilling out a stripped one tomorrow with what I got.

Hate to stir up an old thread, but 1/2" x 13 TPI (4" long) was what was common at both Tractor Supply and Home Depot for bolts, as well as a tap.

1/2" x 13 TPI is the SAE course thread size.
1/2" X 20 TPI is the SAE fine thread size.

The discussion was to use Course over Fine thread, and Ghost said 1/2" at 16tpi ?, I was just saying that 13tpi was the common coarse thread found at the hardware stores.

I was and still am never very good at the difference in which is which for each size..... Kind of glad this came up. I've got a box to install on my new project and was wondering what size the bolts were....... :cool: 7/16 x 4" is standard?

7/16 14tpi (threads per inch), 4" long is standard, MAKE SURE ITS GRADE 8 !!!!! I just bought two yesterday for the good threaded holes, then the stripped hole is getting drilled and tapped for a 1/2" bolt instead of putting a helicoil in.

Back