• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stolen, Recovered, Busted Ignition

BlaineB. said:
That doesn't make sense why you'd have to pay to get your vehicle back given it did not get impounded for a traffic or parking violation...
Denver does it the same way. My truck got lifted a couple years ago. I got a letter a couple weeks later telling me where it was (DPD had my phone number from the report). DPD found it. I had to pay for over a weeks "storage" because they didn't call me asap. To make it worse, I had to pay for an extra day of "storage" because my registration had expired the day before I came to get it. I had about three weeks before it got stolen. They wouldn't let it leave the yard with expired plates, not even to flat tow.

Don't pay the $850, surely you can swap in a used one for much less. I don't know anything about the electronic security problems you're running into, but I gotta believe people on this board can help you find a way to disable that stuff. As you point out, it ain't very secure against thieves, only against owners trying not to get ripped off on repairs.

I went through the same thing as you, in Memphis TN. PD charged me for towing and storage and wouldn't let me see it before payment, etc. My jeep was actually recovered through a freak within 2 hours of being stolen, but the city didn't admit to having it until 4 days later (yes, you guessed it, storage charges are based on number of days).

I also got the same runaround about getting it fixed, dealer-only parts, etc., gonna cost $1000 to get it fixed. I actually left it damaged and drove it like that for several years - using a screwdriver to start it and having to reach into the guts of the column with pliers to flip the high beam switch. This caused difficulties at the city-mandated annual inspection. Sometimes they would pass me, but often they failed me because of the bright lights thing, whereupon I would inflict the whole stolen car unfairness thing on some poor city inspector. I refused to get it fixed and just kept going back every few months until somebody passed me. Likewise the police officers who gave me tickets in the interim for no inspection sticker. Plus, on numerous times when a police officer was within sight for some reason while I was starting the car, I always made a big show of fiddling with the screwdriver like I was stealing the car myself (no cop ever said anything, although a few gave 2nd looks). In retrospect, I guess I kind of went overboard on my protest, but it really is ridiculous the way they penalize drivers for having their cars stolen.

Finally I got a used steering column from a junkyard for $125 and swapped it out - turned out to be not too difficult as everything is plug-and-play. Just be organized about it, and take pictures (or make good notes) as you disassemble.

What color are your keys... if they are the grey fat head keys then you have the sentry system. If they are black and thinker you don't. That sentry system is crap anyhow.. had my XJ stolen with it... but of course it wouldn't let me start it to pick it up.

My 2001 was broken in to some time ago and it was the sentry Key that kept him from driving off with my xj. He fond my UN-coded key I had in the glove box.

" Win I go hiking I take the un-coded key with me on the trail. And the real sentry key under the back seats. So if I loss my key on the trail. I'm only losing a $5 key not an $100 key ! "

So He tried two time to re-start the jeep but the sentry Key kill the engine both times. I only ended up losing $120 for a new window, and my new Garmin GPS60, And he also toke my un-coded key. Sense It happened out side my apartment. I also had all the locks re-keyed

That Suck the Cops are charging towing and impound fees.

i just had the ignition lock ripped out of my 2000 cherokee. luckily I came back before they could make off with the jeep. was able to find someone on the naxja classifieds that was parting out their jeep, sold me the ign lock and door locks w/ key for $40. While I was looking, I also found this website http://www.carlocksandkeys.com/
I think the ign lock cylinder w/ key was around $40. They also have the door locks if you want the ignition key to match the door keys or just cary both keys.
It is a pretty simple procedure to replace the ign lock on the 97+ cherokee, dunno about the coded keys but I guess mine were not coded.

Well, I certainly am not paying that. As I said, I do not have the Sentry system. My key is flat and black, I have made keys at the hardware store with no issue, my car was not immobilized when stolen, and the dealer ran the vin # and verified that my xj does not have it! I don't know what my mechanic is talking about. I don't even think steering column is damaged besides the ignition switch and plastic ring--thieves did a nice, clean job. (oddly, the whole job was clean--they replaced the bezel after removing the radio and neatly disconnected the wires from the amp. Seems like it was done right at the impound.)

Anyway, I think I could get away with just replacing the ignition switch and, if i want, having it rekeyed. Or, if worse come to worse, go ahead and get me a JY Column and do it myself. F that! I ain't paying $850

Well, I certainly am not paying that. As I said, I do not have the Sentry system. My key is flat and black, I have made keys at the hardware store with no issue, my car was not immobilized when stolen, and the dealer ran the vin # and verified that my xj does not have it! I don't know what my mechanic is talking about. I don't even think steering column is damaged besides the ignition switch and plastic ring--thieves did a nice, clean job. (oddly, the whole job was clean--they replaced the bezel after removing the radio and neatly disconnected the wires from the amp. Seems like it was done right at the impound.)

Anyway, I think I could get away with just replacing the ignition switch and, if i want, having it rekeyed. Or, if worse come to worse, go ahead and get me a JY Column and do it myself. F that! I ain't paying $850

Unbelievable that they did a professional job. At least they didn't have to drestory more then they needed for their whole $50 of profit.

Yeah, not need to spend $850 for parts your vehicle doesn't have.

Back