• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Speaker Resistance

How many ohms resistance are is the stock speakers? Not the speakers in the infinity system but the base four speaker set up.

Speaker coils are typically rated in impedance, rather than actual resistance. They're listed with the same unit, but usually take a different meter to measure.

Automotive speakers are generally rated at 8 ohms impedance.

Um, automotive speakers are generally rated at 4 ohms impedance.

It is true that while doing their thing, speakers present a complex resistance termed "impedance" composed of coil resistance, inductance and capacitance but you can measure their resistance at rest with a standard ohmmeter to get some idea as to whether they are within spec and undamaged. A speaker rated at a nominal 4 ohms impedance will probably typically measure in the neighborhood of 3 to 3.5 ohms.

Um, automotive speakers are generally rated at 4 ohms impedance.

It is true that while doing their thing, speakers present a complex resistance termed "impedance" composed of coil resistance, inductance and capacitance but you can measure their resistance at rest with a standard ohmmeter to get some idea as to whether they are within spec and undamaged. A speaker rated at a nominal 4 ohms impedance will probably typically measure in the neighborhood of 3 to 3.5 ohms.

Really? I'd thought it was eight. I wonder where I got that idea - I'll have to check.

Thanks!

4 ohm it is-- just pulled those killer Jensens out last week

8 ohm was the standard for home speakers back when home speakers were still bigger than the receiver.

Here ya go 5-90::cheers:!
Ya, 4-ohm for the car and 8-ohm for the house is the general rule. A lot of the 'home theater in a box' systems now use a 6-ohm speaker and DO NOT play well with anything else. Onkyo seems to be a rare exception to this; mine came with standard 8-ohm speakers and the amp will drive any 8-ohm load (per channel).

Back