• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speakers

Unclewolverine

NAXJA Forum User
Are there any particular speakers that will hold up better to rough service? I've tried a few different sets and the headliner one blow out quickly, door ones don't seem to last long either. High dust/ vibrations service in my mail jeep.

Not that I have an answer for you, but which brand/model speakers are failing for you?

Might be nice to know what doesn't hold up well. Dust and vibration are common to many of our XJs.

My Polk's are over 20yrs old!

When I installed MTX 2-way component speakers in the doors of my 2000 XJ, I added door baffles behind the speakers to minimize water and dust exposure inside the door. They've been in place for over 12 years and still sound great!

Not that I have an answer for you, but which brand/model speakers are failing for you?

Might be nice to know what doesn't hold up well. Dust and vibration are common to many of our XJs.

Mostly stock ones I've got out of junkyard units, others I don't remember, they were cheap and I'm not usually a speaker guy. Opening and closing the driver door 50 to 75 times a day is particularly hard on the one in my driver door. The 130 miles over extremely poorly maintained gravel roads 6 days a week is probably what does in the headliner ones. Back when I had an xj with tailgate speakers I remember those basically broke all the time from the tailgate slamming.

You're clearly using the rig in extreme conditions, so upgrading to a higher quality speaker that can handle the elements will be beneficial to both performance and longevity. Might even want to look at marine rated speakers or SxS speakers, as they are waterproof-ish and designed to operate in extreme conditions.

You're clearly using the rig in extreme conditions, so upgrading to a higher quality speaker that can handle the elements will be beneficial to both performance and longevity. Might even want to look at marine rated speakers or SxS speakers, as they are waterproof-ish and designed to operate in extreme conditions.

I did find some that are rated for construction equipment, pricy but maybe worth the investment.

Back