• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock electric cooling fan - keep it or replace it?

This.
Get on with the guys at a parts store- shoot the shit, buy them lunch, have them look stuff up for you and show you how to do it yourself.

I have never failed to find at least one parts store I couldn't get along with to the degree I'm allowed to use their computers. Once you can do that you can look up the part and find information on tapers, major/minor diameters, etc, anything you want. While it may not be listed for every part (Masterpro is good about not listing details, Moog is good about listing them) there is usually enough of a selection of a given part that you can find the info you need.

Heck, come to it, pull one of each off the parts shelf. Learn to use a micrometer. Measure them yourself.

This is just NOT HARD. If you're going to get into the world of non-standard fitment of vehicles and vehicle systems, you need to put in a little skull sweat and realize that one hour of measuring is worth weeks worth of replies from "some dood on teh interwebz".

Every counter guy in every store in my town know me by name, know me by voice when I call..........even the dealer parts guy.

Went to NAPA this morning, they had the JK not the WJ.....as expected. Parts guy was not willing to order in just so I could compare........as expected, warn out my welcome.

Called Quadratech this morning.......tech guys don't know.

Called Skyjacker this morning...........tech guys don't know.

At about $1K for parts I'm interested in, I need to know. https://www.quadratec.com/products/56119_0091_07.htm

I could, drive two hours to PnP and spend two hours pulling WJ knuckles......drive two hours home............done it dozens of times.

No, no one knows what the tapers are, so far.

Very nice.
Have you retrofitted a GM TBI system to this? I can't tell what engine it is- it looks like a 4.0, but I'm thinking it's a 4-cylinder (EDIT: did some googling, yup, definitely appears to be a Jeep 2.5L 4-pot) (I'm looking at this on a cellphone and don't have my glasses, so cut me a little slack, ok?). But I don't see a fuel rail, I'm guessing the former injector bungs have been plugged and the injection is done at the TB, making me think you've retrofitted a GM TBI.

Very neat build. Do you have a build thread?

That's right, I married Renix with Chrysler, successfully, and as far as I know, I'm the only one to have done it.

There are more XJ, TJ, KJ, WJ, ZJ, parts on my MJ than MJ parts, and I'd like to add JK to that list not to mention the long list of aftermarket parts. Not to mention the I also have GM and Ford parts on my MJ.

Haven't seen many of you do that.

I'm going after 350mm rotors and 6 pot calipers...........ain't seen any of you do that either.

I'm looking for creativity and imagination..........I must be in the wrong spot.

I would have supplied pictures, specs, spreadsheets with thermal reading, RPMs of fans, etc.. But, since this thread has degenerated away from civil discourse, I see no real value.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion, based on their experience. That's how I've developed my opinion, as well as listening to other's experience.

Would I like to see an electric fan configuration work for ME? Sure, but running a 4.6L motor, in a 5500 lb. vehicle, with a 10" high radiator, at 120 degree weather with 5% humidity just won't cut it. FFD Dynamics agree; Griffin agree.

It seems this thread has run its course.

David Bricker / SYR - TUS

Maybe that's your problem.

Every counter guy in every store in my town know me by name, know me by voice when I call..........even the dealer parts guy.

Went to NAPA this morning, they had the JK not the WJ.....as expected. Parts guy was not willing to order in just so I could compare........as expected, warn out my welcome.

Called Quadratech this morning.......tech guys don't know.

Called Skyjacker this morning...........tech guys don't know.

At about $1K for parts I'm interested in, I need to know. https://www.quadratec.com/products/56119_0091_07.htm

I could, drive two hours to PnP and spend two hours pulling WJ knuckles......drive two hours home............done it dozens of times.

No, no one knows what the tapers are, so far.

I'll throw this out there but I know you'll find a way to get pissed about it :skull1:

Tie Rod End Insert

What's the deal with that skyjacker crap? Just get some DOM and inserts and make your own steering for half the price.

I'll throw this out there but I know you'll find a way to get pissed about it :skull1:

Tie Rod End Insert

What's the deal with that skyjacker crap? Just get some DOM and inserts and make your own steering for half the price.

I have one objective.

I have read every one of Blaine's posts (vanco), many many threads on WJ swaps, I'm well aware of the geometry issues and so forth.

The one thing that I have yet to see anyone try is the JK drag link for UTK steering.

I just want to see if it will work.

to the OP.

if you had a large, mostly square radiator like a TJ, then you could probably get an electric fan that would do the job.

but if you want to keep the long rectangular XJ rad, you will not find a better fan setup than OEM.
you might get by with some Efans depending on your climate, and what you are doing with it.
but for those of us that have to deal with working our engines in warm weather, the stock mech fan does a much better job than any suitable electric replacement.

Back