• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock electric cooling fan - keep it or replace it?

As for a few of you Internet experts.... quit posting bs info. Electric fans do not work well on an xj.

High-end electric fans will work on tall radiators. The problem is our XJ radiators are very short and do not allow large diameter, high CFM fans to be used.
Small diameter electric fans never match the CFM capacity of larger fans.
Newer vehicles that use electric fans have systems designed to handle the high electrical loads.
Our XJs were not designed to handle the additional electrical load of fan and need expensive upgrades to the alternator, wiring, fusing and relays, a lot of extra stuff to go up in smoke, at the wrong time.

The stock mechanical fan is fairly foolproof as long as the fan clutch is checked out regularly.
Guess the choice to go electric or stay stock depends on how you use your XJ.
We regularly drive many miles off the pavement, in our trips around the West.
I want the drivetrain to be as simple, dependable and as near stock as possible.
When something does break, I want the parts to be readily available. Stock XJ parts are quickly available at any auto parts store or online.
Aftermarket fans, controllers and relays are not.

You people do what you do and I'll continue to do what I do..........I really don't care what you do for yourself.

That said.........

You people continue to spew false information, that pisses me off.

For those of us who know how to wire, how to set up an electrical system.......Efans are no more a tax on the system than any other electrical devise.

Because some jackwad says so? and you repeat it ad nauseam.

My alt puts out 105 amps at idle..........at idle.

And no, AMC/Chrysler engineers are not, were not, imperial. Jeep is a wiring/electrical cluster-F from the get go.

And, if they were so F-ing smart, why are 70% of you even dealing with an over heating problem to start with? and you are, we all are.

You people continue to spew false information, that pisses me off.

I am glad the forum has found a higher deity that speaks for all the different types of XJs we own. Go ahead and take your awesome electrical skills to a prius forum.

People who actually wheel modified jeeps can give their points of view without upsetting you :bawl:

I am glad the forum has found a higher deity that speaks for all the different types of XJs we own. Go ahead and take your awesome electrical skills to a prius forum.

People who actually wheel modified jeeps can give their points of view without upsetting you :bawl:

I'm still trying to figure out what false information has been spewed. No one so far is blatantly wrong.

I am starting to think someone might be a little hurt that they dropped a lot of money on an e fan setup and it doesn't blow away the stock mechanical setup in cooling capacity.

Last edited:

Vacate your engine bay, build your own modified engine, paint, strip out your existing harness, rewire...............etc......

Then run your mouth.

I build my own, every bit of it.

Last edited:
Says the guy who is running a 4cyl with a bigger radiator than a 4.0 has

MEH! He has an AC pump and no shrouds: Ask for the videos of him wheeling in "verified" 110* ambient temperatures, with the windows rolled up, and a BSEG on his face, and more "verified" videos of him starting up after a short break from said wheeling.

In defense of the stock (?) "KUBOTA" analogy, I remember a 1970's BMW that parked near me, and the electric fan kicked on 3 minutes after the owner walked off. Thus, his 1970's technology is much advanced over the 1960's technology the OP berates.

Myself, I'll stick to fixing what's broke...

Why are you so pissed off? Because people that know better don't agree with you?

Who are you and what do you actually know?

That is the point I'm making.

Just the same people saying the same thing over and over.

I see no pics from any of you, you don't actually do anything, no inspiration from any of you.........notta.........day after day

Let's start with you, post up, what have you built, created, rebuilt, painted, wired.......etc..........?

Not a damn thing, I suspect.

Let's see it.

Why are you so pissed off? Because people that know better don't agree with you?

I've asked one question of multiple board...this-

Will a JK drag link fit a WJ knuckle? Do they share the same taper?

Not one of you have an answer, so far.

Since I'm the idiot, and you and everyone else, knows better than me, answer my ONE question.

In fact, I think it's the only question I've ever asked here.

This idiot awaits your answer.

When something does break, I want the parts to be readily available. Stock XJ parts are quickly available at any auto parts store or online.
Aftermarket fans, controllers and relays are not.

I'm sorry but this argument does not hold water.
Fan control via temperature switches and common 5-terminal relays is Very Easy to accomplish using parts readily accessible and available in every LAPS.

Now, regarding your argument about finding High-CFM fans that fit our radiators, I do agree. There are some out there, but they are VERY pricey and somewhat hard to find. Lots of trial. And error and by the time you find one you'd be money ahead staying stock with a ZJ mechanical clutch fan.

I don't buy the argument made by someone about 1.5" holes being needed in the radiator fan shroud. But that's another discussion.

Additionally, making our vehicle electrical systems support an electric fan in lieu of the mechanical doesn't require any more upgrading than getting proper voltage to the headlights. I've done both several times on XJ and other platforms. Relays are wonderful things.

I've asked one question of multiple board...this-

Will a JK drag link fit a WJ knuckle? Do they share the same taper?

Not one of you have an answer, so far.

Since I'm the idiot, and you and everyone else, knows better than me, answer my ONE question.

In fact, I think it's the only question I've ever asked here.

This idiot awaits your answer.

Yes they share the same taper.

You could always go to any parts store, ask for a WJ TRE and a JK TRE and compare, but that sounds too simple for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes they share the same taper.

You could always go to any parts store, ask for a WJ TRE and a JK TRE and compare, but that sounds too simple for you.

This.
Get on with the guys at a parts store- shoot the shit, buy them lunch, have them look stuff up for you and show you how to do it yourself.

I have never failed to find at least one parts store I couldn't get along with to the degree I'm allowed to use their computers. Once you can do that you can look up the part and find information on tapers, major/minor diameters, etc, anything you want. While it may not be listed for every part (Masterpro is good about not listing details, Moog is good about listing them) there is usually enough of a selection of a given part that you can find the info you need.

Heck, come to it, pull one of each off the parts shelf. Learn to use a micrometer. Measure them yourself.

This is just NOT HARD. If you're going to get into the world of non-standard fitment of vehicles and vehicle systems, you need to put in a little skull sweat and realize that one hour of measuring is worth weeks worth of replies from "some dood on teh interwebz".

Very nice.
Have you retrofitted a GM TBI system to this? I can't tell what engine it is- it looks like a 4.0, but I'm thinking it's a 4-cylinder (EDIT: did some googling, yup, definitely appears to be a Jeep 2.5L 4-pot) (I'm looking at this on a cellphone and don't have my glasses, so cut me a little slack, ok?). But I don't see a fuel rail, I'm guessing the former injector bungs have been plugged and the injection is done at the TB, making me think you've retrofitted a GM TBI.

Very neat build. Do you have a build thread?

Who are you and what do you actually know?

That is the point I'm making.

Just the same people saying the same thing over and over.

I see no pics from any of you, you don't actually do anything, no inspiration from any of you.........notta.........day after day

Let's start with you, post up, what have you built, created, rebuilt, painted, wired.......etc..........?

Not a damn thing, I suspect.

Let's see it.

I would have supplied pictures, specs, spreadsheets with thermal reading, RPMs of fans, etc.. But, since this thread has degenerated away from civil discourse, I see no real value.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion, based on their experience. That's how I've developed my opinion, as well as listening to other's experience.

Would I like to see an electric fan configuration work for ME? Sure, but running a 4.6L motor, in a 5500 lb. vehicle, with a 10" high radiator, at 120 degree weather with 5% humidity just won't cut it. FFD Dynamics agree; Griffin agree.

It seems this thread has run its course.

David Bricker / SYR - TUS

I don't know what's more tired.

This subject, or 'jeep driver'.

ugh.

Back