• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering/wobbling issue on every XJ I've owned

Excessive toe in could cause the outer tire wear

A problem with camber could be causing the inner tire wear.

Toe in is usually fixed by replacing worn steering components.
Camber is usually fixed by replacing ball joints. There are corrective ball joints that are adjustable if something is close enough to be corrected. If it's way off them you'd need to probably have a new C welded on the axle, or just replace the axle- whatever's cheaper. Axles are often only $100 from the JY.

Really you just need to check all parts out for play. In your case something may be bent or welded crooked in the past.

I thought of suggesting shocks, but I'd tend to think they'd cause wear all over the tires.

IF the shocks are junk, I'd definitely replace them!!

steering components, improper alignment, worn ball joints, etc. will cause those issues among others. Also, were the tires brand new with a mfg date in the last year, or were they used / older tires that were swapped on? Note that you can also get new tires that have a radial pull inside of them, which will cause all sorts of driving / vibration / etc. issues (good reason to stay away from cheap tires)

Back