• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering debate between: wj steering, currie, rustys

How would you guys compare this to the currie system?

Heims vs TREs, I'd prefer the Currie.

CurrieOnRig.jpg

RockKrawlerOnRig.jpg

So you dont have to modify the sway bar links and the tb? How would you guys compare this to the currie system?

Right, no messing with the track bar or sway bar links. It's beefier than the Currie, it's OTK, and I think it's a little cheaper.

It's a real nice option if you don't want to get into fab work.

havent read through the tread yet. sorry, but i have the rugged ridge steering from cse offroad. brand new with a warranty with dom tubing for $180 shipped. get it on ebay its like 10 or 20 bucs cheaper then everybody else. and its a complete bolt on.

"Beef up your ride with Rugged Ridge steering components. This is a bolt-on solution for preventing bent tie rods from wheeling with larger tires. The tubes are 1.25" ID SAE 1018 that is cold rolled, pierced, and drawn through dies to produce wall thickness of .25". this true DOM tubing with no seams or welds to fail. Heavy-duty 7/8" rod ends feature standard tapered ends to fit stock knuckle applications. You get one ton strength without any modifications to your steering knuckles."
http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/73040

edit*** im on 35 mtrs and im at 6.5 inch of lift with stock pitman arm(havent installed my droped arm yet)***

havent read through the tread yet. sorry, but i have the rugged ridge steering from cse offroad. brand new with a warranty with dom tubing for $180 shipped. get it on ebay its like 10 or 20 bucs cheaper then everybody else. and its a complete bolt on.

"Beef up your ride with Rugged Ridge steering components. This is a bolt-on solution for preventing bent tie rods from wheeling with larger tires. The tubes are 1.25" ID SAE 1018 that is cold rolled, pierced, and drawn through dies to produce wall thickness of .25". this true DOM tubing with no seams or welds to fail. Heavy-duty 7/8" rod ends feature standard tapered ends to fit stock knuckle applications. You get one ton strength without any modifications to your steering knuckles."
http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/73040

edit*** im on 35 mtrs and im at 6.5 inch of lift with stock pitman arm(havent installed my droped arm yet)***

Ok so that appears very simular to the currie setup...both are bolt on, but they are still just like the stock setup only with beefier rods..

The only similarity that I can think of between the two is that they both are direct bolt ons. The Currie is just stock steering but beefed up and designed for use with lifted vehicles. The Rugged Ridge is a completely different design. Rugged Ridge is the same inverted t design as the JCR 1 ton. They are both prone to tie rod roll but the Rugged Ridge tie rod ends are stock size taper to fit the knuckles without modification. A friend ran the RR on his rubi with 4.5"/37s and it was crap on there and easily bent. Then my brother bought it from him and ran it on his unlimited with 2.5"/1"bl/32's and it wandered all over the place. The RR steering is junk imo and I also have a high opinion of JCR products but I havent had good luck with the JCR steering either. Personally Im not a fan of the inverted t setup. I like steering kits where the drag link connects directly to the knuckle.

I just came across this problem myself. I just lifted my XJ another 3". So now it it somewhere around 6". I have the Currie Steering system and I like it so far. It is built for the stock axle in mind. Not a true high steering system (over the knuckle), but it is definitely heavy duty. It is solid chromoly steel, not tube like some of the others.

With the lift, I had a couple of clearance issues with the steering stabilizer mount, but I correct them by cutting the mount and moving it back. I also had to grind some metal off the sway link mount on the axle side.

Now once I put in my HP Dana 44 with Reid Racing knuckles, I am going to have to upgrade the steering to something mixed from ORU. I won't know exactly until I finish building the axle and install it.

Overall, I think Currie has one of the best steering upgrades out there. All depends on how high you want to raise your Jeep. Currie is good for around 4 - 6" of lift.

Hope this helps.

KJ

Rusty's

Pros: None

Cons: Rusty's makes it.

i run there setup and whoop the shit outta it with no problems on my trail rig! :thumbup:

Back