• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering debate between: wj steering, currie, rustys

Richard, the lower end of the Currie draglink actually has an improved angle over the stock setup.

0707_4wd_04_z+currie_enterprises_currectlync_steering_system_install+steering_components.jpg

Pretty sure he was talking about the WJ setup removing a steep drag link angle...

While the Currectlync steering system will fit all of the previously mentioned vehicles, John Currie indicated that the kit functions best on vehicles equipped with some degree of lift. This is due to the fact the Currie steering components are much larger in diameter than stock and require a bit more clearance for unobstructed operation, as well as because the drag link is slightly angled to better maintain proper steering geometry in a wide range of lifted Jeeps.

I realize this is just a copy in past from an article. All the same, the drag link is kicked out a bit at the knuckle end and then angled up from there. So the TRE can retain closer to a stock degree of rotation on a lifted rig. Thats why you really don't put Currie steering on a stock Jeep. Reading back I think we are talking about two different things, or part of the same thing. Yes, your steering angles may be the same, as for as end to end is concerned. But the Currie setup is designed to take some of the stress off of the TREs at those increased angles.

my rig came with the Rustys HD tie rod and Drag links and so far i like it.

i just replaced all the ends wiht moog tie rod and DL ends, put on new U joints, new wheel bearings, and Bilstein 5150 shocks and the front feels Strong as HELL!

i recently put it up on my alignment rack, and it is also SUPER easy to do front end alignments. took me bout 8 minutes once everything was set up.

I was running a custom Tera/JKS/Currie/CrawlerTech/WJ setup on my '99, but at 7.5" of lift. At 5" or less, the Currie will not inhibit your rigs capabilities at all.

Just your ability to pop into any auto parts store in america and grab a replacement TRE before driving a thousand miles home? ;)

Mike-G actually carries an entire spare currie steering setup, on top of the currie steering he has under the front of his jeep.

I suppose that works, but really..

Mike-G actually carries an entire spare currie steering setup, on top of the currie steering he has under the front of his jeep.

Letterman does the same.

I passed a guy on the Rubicon a couple weeks ago with a broken Currie drag link end. Sucked to be him.

Letterman does the same.

I passed a guy on the Rubicon a couple weeks ago with a broken Currie drag link end. Sucked to be him.

Yeah, I'd consider Currie if it wasn't for that stupid built in TRE on the drag link.

I couldn't find a better steering setup than OTK WJ when I was building a D30.

At 5.5" of lift my draglink had the slightest angle to it. Driving on the road was a dream.

You can buy pretty much everything you need from JKS now with only some minor welding required.

If I were to do it again though, I wouldn't have used the WJ TREs on the draglink I'd have used the GM/Chevy "1-ton" TREs and built my own draglink.

I couldn't find a better steering setup than OTK WJ when I was building a D30.

At 5.5" of lift my draglink had the slightest angle to it. Driving on the road was a dream.

You can buy pretty much everything you need from JKS now with only some minor welding required.

If I were to do it again though, I wouldn't have used the WJ TREs on the draglink I'd have used the GM/Chevy "1-ton" TREs and built my own draglink.

Thats exactly what I did, it worked really well.

I think if *I* were doing it again, I'd use rod ends, though. :)

Just your ability to pop into any auto parts store in america and grab a replacement TRE before driving a thousand miles home? ;)

I haven't been able to confirm this. But someone with Currie steering needs to pick up a left hand ZJ TRE and try and thread it in. Even then, most people carry spare joints regardless of the setup they run. How is carrying spare Currie TREs any different? If you destroy the built in TRE, than you are probably past the limits of that steering systems anyways.

Actually, a Currie HD TRE is 22mm, not the 7/8" that they claim. So a ZJ TRE should go right on. When I called them on it (delayed my steering upgrade), their answer was "well its close enough".

I had WJ TREs and a JKS draglink setup on the Tera knuckle. For the tierod, I had one custom made and threaded to accept Currie HD TREs.

The problem lies when you go OTK with the draglink on WJ TREs.

You end up needing a RHD draglink TRE at the knuckle. The only place I've found that manufactures it is Crown, and the quality has slipped.

I ran it about a year ago for several months on 33s and 35s and never had a problem with it. Recently though several have had problems with the TRE bending and/or snapping.

Im thinking that the currie setup would be best for me, because its bolt on..i cant seem to find an otk setup that doesnt require moving the trackbar, and swaybar links... I have no skills when it comes to fabing parts...if anyone has any other suggestions feel free to post them up.

Look into Rock Krawler. It's a good setup. It looks a little odd where the drag link passes the tie rod, but it works.

It's OTK and you don't have to move the track bar. All you have to do is drill out the knuckles.

Look into Rock Krawler. It's a good setup. It looks a little odd where the drag link passes the tie rod, but it works.

It's OTK and you don't have to move the track bar. All you have to do is drill out the knuckles.

So you dont have to modify the sway bar links and the tb? How would you guys compare this to the currie system?

Back