• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Started the bedliner, pics inside, please post your opinions so far!

3457892360_221f308fe6.jpg

i started mine today. got the passenger side done. i love how bad ass it looks with the front fender black and the lower portion of everything else.

Just an opinion, but I think that looks like you just got in a wreck. I like the black quarter panel look, but the front fenders like that just looks unfinished. :dunno:

Well yesterday I went ahead and started prepping for my lower quarter panels and went ahead and bed lined it. I used Duplicolor with the roll-on kit. I spent awhile on prep and decided to use a sanding wheel with my angle grinder to speed things up. Where there was surface rust, I took it to bare metal, and primed everything after sanding with Krylon primer w/ rust stopper. (Don't have a huge rust problem, just HATE it). I also went a little crazy and did the wheelwells too. Here's how it turned out, let me know what you think!

Picture001-1.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture006.jpg

I am planning on following the same body line all the way down the truck to under the rocker panels. After that's complete, I am going to re-install these:

sp1.jpg

All in all it was a pretty tedious job, I am not too keen on how the lines came out, but it is starting to grow on me. Let me know how you feel... Negative or positive comments are always welcome! :eeks1:

Looks great. Also, good thinking on using it as protection behind the cladding since that is a magnet for causing rust. About the lines, if you are concerned about it just use 3/8" black pinstripping to make the lines "crisp". I did it on mine. I used POR-15 as the "primer" coat and then sprayed 2 coats of duplicolor on while still tacky. After completely dry finished it with the pinstripping and it turned out professional looking as far as being clean lines. This is the only pic I have now but if you want I can get a close up.

bedlinerlowerrockers.jpg

I have used the dupli spray and the roll on and hands down roll on by far!!!! the spray goes on nice but later flakes off I did hours of prep and masking and everything!!!

I didn't like the duplicolor spray at all. Thankfully I only used it on the rear bumper. I originally used Herculiner roll-on (five coats) on two different occasions. then i scored a new gallon of bondo bed liner for $30. i then put two coats of it on over the herculiner. Boy, it was a waste of time and money. i mixed it up like it says and it was thick like tar. it didn't spread easy at all and looked like crap when done. so...i spent several hours sanding it down and then put three coats of plasi-kote roll-on bed liner. Only $45 for the gallon kit from Wal-Mart. I really like it so far and pleased with the results. It has the same texture as the Herculiner, goes on easy, and inexpensive. The only thing to see is how it holds up long term.

CIMG0209Large.jpg

I want to see a close up of yours! I have a silver Jeep too and Im thinking of doing the same thing.

Here are some close up shots:

Driver rear quarter:
rearquarter2.jpg

Driver side:
driverside.jpg

Driver side door:
driverside2.jpg

Driver side inside door:
driverinsidedoor.jpg

Again, same shot previously in thread of completed look as a whole:
bedlinerlowerrockers.jpg

Since I was going to be using POR-15 as my primer/basecoat, I took off the door panels and got inside the doors at the bottom seem also and painted all of that and also the outside of the inside door (if that makes sense). You can see where I stopped and jsut above that is where I wrapped the pinstripping around to the inside. I wasn't concerned with looks and topcoating the POR for UV protection for this inside of the door since that part barely sees sunlight.

I am happy with the Duplicolor Spray can application. I am assuming the roll-on product is better but I got the cans for free. This is nothing new and common sense but here is what I did to ensure good adhesion, crisp lines, uniform color and prevention of fading/chalking:

1. Obviously wash jeep thoroughly.
2. Scuff up surface with 180-220 grit sandpaper and orbital sander.
3. Wash again, making sure to clean thorougly.
4. Wipe done with Acetone, repeatedly.
5. Tape off and paint a primer coat of POR-15, wait till minimal finger drag
and apply 2nd coat.
6. While 2nd coat of POR-15 is still tacky/minimal finger drag, apply light
coat of duplicolor.
7. Wait 30 minutes or so, reapply 2nd coat. Wait 2 hours, apply 3rd/final
coat.
8. Wait till barely tacky and apply thin coat of rustoleum satin black outdoor
paint. Reapply within 45 minutes.
9 Wait 48 hours and reapply 3rd coat of rustoleum topcoat.
10. After completely dry apply pinstripping to make a crisp edge.

Last edited:
That looks good man! Im not a big fan of the more textured bed liners. I didn't realize the duplicolor came out smooth like that. Would it be ok to put down POR-15 as a "primer" and just spray over that with a satin black? Im just wondering whats the point of putting duplicolor over the POR15 then topping that with paint.

That looks good man! Im not a big fan of the more textured bed liners. I didn't realize the duplicolor came out smooth like that. Would it be ok to put down POR-15 as a "primer" and just spray over that with a satin black? Im just wondering whats the point of putting duplicolor over the POR15 then topping that with paint.

Yeah, you could definetly put down the POR-15/chassis saver/or eastwood rust encapsulator as a primer then topcoat with 2-3 of the satin black rusto. Only reason I used the duplicor was that I got it free and I figured if it's bedliner, less chance of scratching through to bare metal.

My bumpers and tire carrier, rock sliders and roof rack are all done using 2 coats of POR with 3 coats of rusto satin black.

LiKe I said I got the duplicolor free and figured I would use it since the rockers take the brunt of stones (flying from the tread of my tires), when in the woods, branches and logs and jackasses with taller trucks opening doors and gouging my lower door panels :). Also, I read that duplicolor had a chance to chalk out so I jsut used the rusto for a UV protectant top coat and in the process, extra rust proofing since michigan is hell bent on uses TONS of salt instead of gravel or half the salt with beet juice. Don't even get me started on the potholes and shotty asphalt jobs done year to year here. They will tear up a road, spend from May till Nov. doing it and then it only last like 3 years. How about using rubber in with the asphalt so that it will last atleast 7 years or longer (in europe in sweden and germany, autobahn their roads last 20+ years before needed maintenance) but no, they can't do that. It wouldn't justify our taxes and jobs. Granholm sucks ass.

Back