• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spot lights

thebluebuffalo

NAXJA Forum User
anybody ever add a "police" style spot lights in the a pillars? i've been thinking about it. don't how hard it would be.

I just dismantled a XJ that had one on it. It looked like they simply drilled a hole through the A-pillar and mounted it through the hole. The wiring all stays inside the cab. I still have the light that came out of that rig, but I dont know if it works or not.

Damn... what size hole would that be?? And that seems like that'd be a B*TCH to drill through. Would be pretty handy to have one though.

PurpleCherokee said:
Damn... what size hole would that be?? And that seems like that'd be a B*TCH to drill through. Would be pretty handy to have one though.

the hole was approx 5/8"-3/4". it is just big enough to send the shaft through the A-pillar. The light is a 2 piece unit when installed.

I used to install those lights when I worked at police supply store. They are easy but kinda scary the first time, especially in your own vehicle.
Contact Unity, they make the lights and the mounting kits, they even come with a template to make sure you get the hole right. Make sure you move the wires out of the "A" pillar before you drill though or you may not like the results. (several hundred bucks). Just follow the directions and it will take less than 20 minutes.

damn, ive got two of those lights and thought id be cool showing up with the first one mounted on an XJ. well sorta. id suggest mounting it center of the roof like just above the rear view mirror. when mounted on the piller and you point the light over the passenger side it really glares the hood and windshield.

2stix said:
damn, ive got two of those lights and thought id be cool showing up with the first one mounted on an XJ. well sorta. id suggest mounting it center of the roof like just above the rear view mirror. when mounted on the piller and you point the light over the passenger side it really glares the hood and windshield.

how would you do that?

I have mounted these lights on every power wagon I've ever owned, and there were a few. My $.02 is mount them high as you can on the pillar for two reasons, one is to help with that glare over the hood. and two the light is a little more protected by the body lines of the truck from those trees that like to eat them . (xj's don't have those body lines now that I think of it, kinda flat all over). The other tip I have is to mount the rod as parallel as possible with the ground. that way when you swing the light left to right you don't have to fiddle with it any more than possible when that deer your shine'n takes off running. :) Oh, and double check that when you open your door that it doesn't wack the head of the light. That tip is worth a couple of new bulbs in my experience.

BTW, been a reader for nearly a year and finally felt like jumping in since I knew something for once. You guys have a great crowd here and really help those of us new to xj's. I'd like to say thanks for all the info. Now if someone can tell me why they stuffed the coil down by the oil filter and all the splashy water, I'll feel much more comfortable.

The installation wasn't bad - as said previously, just be sure to use a center punch to mark your drill spot so the bit doesn't walk and goof up the whole thing. Drill straight in and plot your angle so it doesn't put the handle too close to the dash or steering wheel. There wasn't any wires INSIDE the pillar, just the wiring for the dome light running just under the plastic pillar moulding. Also, don't wire the light to your fuse panel. Make a totally separate circuit from the battery - those lights draw big amps. Also, those spotlights come in several different shaft lengths, be sure to get one for the Cherokee so that the handle isn't coming way into the cab, or too short to be able to turn and rotate easily.

If you do any deep woods 'wheeling or canyon rock crawling, they aren't a great idea as they stick out past the body quite a bit. I laid my XJ over onto the driver's side and - as you can see - the spot light caused some nasty damage to my pillar and windshield (pushing the pillar in AND twisting it a bit). If the spot light weren't there, the pillar would have not been damaged. I coulda lived with the door damage from the mirror being smashed inward, but the pillar repair was a big pain.

P1010375.jpg

Last edited:
Back