• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spinners in the snow/ice question -

Cheropair

NAXJA Forum User
I see these stupid wheels that keep moving even when they are stopped, believe they are called "spinners"- to each his own on their aesthetic value :puke: !

Question is, what happens in the snow/slush when these things get covered and freeze? Looks like a quick way to create an ICE DISC OF DEATH! What with the frozen stuff stuck to that crazy doo-dah. Any idea what happens?

I understand that normal wheels are exposed to the same snow/slush/water, and by turning they tend to sling most of the stuff off. Occasionally you will get snow packed inside, and that can throw the balance off. The wheel is held on by 4/5/6 or more lugs, not likely to dismount from the vehicle, even if it has a great imbalance.
A spinner, on the other hand, is held on by one little bearing in the middle. The thing may or may not spin, and it would seem to be a likely candidate to catch a lot of spray off of the road. Since it may not spin, the water could flow to one side and refreeze, leaving a "heavy" point. This process continues until A) material build-up hits spinning wheel, sudden acceleration of "spinner" and exteme inbalance rips out bearing, or B) hit a bump and all the added weight rips out bearing.
The ICE DISC OF DEATH comment is a little off, I don't care for the things - but I am serious about the question as to what happens in winter driving conditions - seems as though they disappear when the weather gets nasty, so I want to know what WOULD happen if run in the snow/freezing rain.
Here in the Midwest, I've had slush build up inside the fenders and refreeze - after driving on the highway it can get so close to the tires that it is difficult to turn into the driveway. I can see this may be a problem with the "spinners", and mainly wanted to know what happens......

They are heated like the mirrors so they will keep spinning.

The BLING must keep BLINGING!

:D

hinkley

Spinners like that have already caused at least one accident that I know of when the driver of a caddy came up to a stop sign and with the wheels spinning looked like he was going to run it. A work van slammed on and locked up the brakes and all their ladders and the rack broke loose. I almost had one of those ladders come thru my windshield. Car behind slammed into the work van. I'll admit they do look cool but they are a hazard as far as a driving visual reference is concerned, 'if the wheel is turning they're moving' type of thing. Luckily we don't have alot of that stuff around here, only the tourists out of NYC and such.

Do most people that have spent that kind of money on rims really drive them in icy/snowy/salty conditions?

I recently saw a set of spinners on the driven wheels of a semi tractor on I-70 westbound. I like to see people with a sense of humor.

Lawn Cher' said:
I recently saw a set of spinners on the driven wheels of a semi tractor on I-70 westbound. I like to see people with a sense of humor.
Me too, except this one had numbers in the middle...and it was only the hub. :D

BlackSport96 said:
Me too, except this one had numbers in the middle...and it was only the hub. :D

I thought those things were on the trailers? (Are they odometers or something?) These were actual Bling spinners, I'm not kidding.

Spinners are out now. The new thing to have is floaters. The outside doesn't spin and it makes the car look like it is floating down the road.

All the info can be found on www.gizoogle.com

There is a kid at my school who put these $50 spinner hubcaps from Wal Mart on his POS red dodge pickup. It looks hilarious. He painted the insides of them neon green.

Not to worry Cheropair. Most vehicles with these wheels are left stuck in there drive ways when the snow level reaches above 1/2".

Hunter-Lynchburg said:
the smart ones run winter wheels and switch back to the bling when the winter weather subsides.

Hunter

never seen a smart person that spent $$$ on spinners

RichP said:
Spinners like that have already caused at least one accident that I know of when the driver of a caddy came up to a stop sign and with the wheels spinning looked like he was going to run it. A work van slammed on and locked up the brakes and all their ladders and the rack broke loose. I almost had one of those ladders come thru my windshield. Car behind slammed into the work van. I'll admit they do look cool but they are a hazard as far as a driving visual reference is concerned, 'if the wheel is turning they're moving' type of thing. Luckily we don't have alot of that stuff around here, only the tourists out of NYC and such.

I must agree, ive seen the same sort of thing, and done it my self. When you cautch out the corner of you eye a car with those things spinning, its looks like the car is moving. its easy to think they are pulling out in front of you.

Back