• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedo Wont work

xjwisconsin

NAXJA Forum User
had a problem with the lock/cylinder... while checking the switch on the coumn I removed the upper dash panel and the gauge houseing to get a better view... now the speedo wont work... everything else is working fine. any one got a suggestion

You probably ripped out the speedo cable out of the back of the speedometer, check to see if it is plugged in all the way.

PS the Chief option was probably the coolest looking cherokee back in the 84-87 model year. I like the red paint with the black stripes!

cable is still attatched to back of guages but seems like it isnt attached to anything down the line... did I fuck something up? where does the cable attatch to on the transfer case... Im looking but not finding... its dark and all I got for light is a headlamp.

Last edited:
I think mine sometimes gets disconnected or loose when it's cold. In the mornings the needle just bounces from 85(the max) to zero and back. It looks like Mr. Toads wild ride.

Im not sure if yours is the same set up as mine but on my 87 the cable from the dash is 2 piece. There should be a connecter down by the brake cable to the firewall. Check to see if your cable is connected there. If it is disconnect it and try to spin the inside cable ( to the dash ) and see if your speedo works if it does it will eliminate the dash and dash cable. I would start there since you pulled the dash and thats when your problem started.

checked... mine is a full length runfrom the back of the guage through the firewall and into the transfer case... I pulled out the loose cable... approx six feet worth... have yet to tackle the transfercase... called the stealership and they want 40$ for a new cable... complete... also checked an autozone in town, guy told me they had a replacement innner cable but said it was crap... do I need to replace housing and every thing... or just the interior cable itself?

I think I would replace everything ( cable, etc.) Do you have a PULL-A-PART junk yard in your area? If so the cable is only 5.00-10.00$
We have them here and they are great the prices are the same everywhere check it out go to pull-a-part.com and you can search in your area. they also have prices. I go to ours in Louisville KY evey time I get a chance.

Back