• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spectre 4" inline filter and ARB Snorkel (stock air box delete)

Well crap. Nevermind whether it will fit my rig or not. The info on that link you provided specifically says that the filter housing is not CARB exempt when used as part of a custom intake system. Oh well.

Well that sucks! I get better mileage with this airbox than I did with the stock airbox. Better mileage means more efficient, I don't buy into that CARB crap.

would it be better to use this filter and use a reducer on the intake side to 3"?

4" inlet/outlet and 5" body

More air is better! I don't have the room to neck down at the fender though

In a situation like that, no. Something like that would actually end up hurting performance. Low RPM power doesn't like large intakes, it likes small(with-in reason) intakes.

Think of it like this: You have a glass of water(water being the air out side), and you want to drink that water(you being the engine), so you grab a MacDonalds straw and start drinking. Now try drinking that same glass of water, sucking it through a fire hose. The MacDonalds straw will have a lot more velocity than the fire hose. The same thing is applied to engines. You either need an engine that can draw in more air per revolution(more displacement), or draw it in a lot faster(a lot more RPMs) to make use of that larger intake.

In a situation like that, no. Something like that would actually end up hurting performance. Low RPM power doesn't like large intakes, it likes small(with-in reason) intakes.

Think of it like this: You have a glass of water(water being the air out side), and you want to drink that water(you being the engine), so you grab a MacDonalds straw and start drinking. Now try drinking that same glass of water, sucking it through a fire hose. The MacDonalds straw will have a lot more velocity than the fire hose. The same thing is applied to engines. You either need an engine that can draw in more air per revolution(more displacement), or draw it in a lot faster(a lot more RPMs) to make use of that larger intake.

That is true for the area under the throttle body. That does not apply to the area above the throttle body where the filter is.

The solution;

Eliminate the air box and route the air tube through the fender to a inline filter.
P1020255.jpg

After you have a suitable hole you need to make the CCV inlet work with the air tube. What I did was to pick up a "1/2 hose barb to 1/4 npt" brass fitting and mark and drill the the downstream side of the tube to accept the hose barb. You will need to use a 7/16" drill bit and then tap the hole with a 1/4"x18 NPT tap.

P1020252.jpg

Thinking about using this setup...that can't be right. Is the drill bit size wrong I'm guessing?

Anyhow I noticed Spectre responded to your email and could not verify if the filter housing was watertite..
Have you gotten a chance to put this system thru its' paces?
:D

Debating going with the K&N equivalent of this setup now....because Spectre has raised their prices it appears. It seems the Spectre unit does not come with filter while the K&N does. And the K&N already has a bung..

Spectre 4" 'airbox' with 3" inlet/outlet - $65 on Amazon
_____Spectre 4" inline filter element - $25.50 on Amazon
___________________________total - $95.50

K&N universal CAI system - $106 on Amazon

I agree with the dry filter...but options are limited for a snorkel and airbox delete combo...

Okay, it's NPT threads....I wasn't thinking. I had the threads of 1/4" in my mind, with a 7/16" drill bit. 1/4" NPT isn't 1/4"! Thanks Wiggleworm

The only thing I didn't see this thread really address (or maybe it was mentioned) was a sump for water to drain and bypass the filter. I suppose a pre cleaner head would be an option. There are some chinese kits on ebay that come with one as opposed to the traditional snorkel head. I guess that should suffice..although I'm not a huge fan of the bird feeder on top of my jeep lol

I agree with the dry filter...but options are limited for a snorkel and airbox delete combo...

Okay, it's NPT threads....I wasn't thinking. I had the threads of 1/4" in my mind, with a 7/16" drill bit. 1/4" NPT isn't 1/4"! Thanks Wiggleworm

The only thing I didn't see this thread really address (or maybe it was mentioned) was a sump for water to drain and bypass the filter. I suppose a pre cleaner head would be an option. There are some chinese kits on ebay that come with one as opposed to the traditional snorkel head. I guess that should suffice..although I'm not a huge fan of the bird feeder on top of my jeep lol

Are you talking about rain water getting into the air box? Its a non issue. I have driven though downpours on the highway and barely any moisture makes it to the air box/filter. If you have this concern, turn the snorkel inlet facing rear ward. You will loose the ram-air effect like that though. I run trails with the snorkel facing rearward due to the tree limbs that I run through. At low rpm it works just fine. Its sufficient at high rpm.

I understand what you are saying but I can tell you that my stock air filter was not filtering well (Purolator), my TB was full of fine dust. On my other XJ's that are running K&N's the TB's are always clean at the throat.

I guess you could cover the filter with a prefilter cloth like K&N uses, shouldnt be a problem.

I use # RC 4690DK filter cover from K&N and clean it with water in the sink (wife is not home.. :shiver:) each time we come back from the desert. The filter looks clean. Before I had to clean the filter almost each time! :repair:

Back