• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spectre 4" inline filter and ARB Snorkel (stock air box delete)

meh, that kills it for me. i had terrible luck with a k&n filter and dust. i'll try and see if theres a dry filter option for this... i mean, the factory airbox just takes up too much effing space.

After reading this post last night, I began to wonder the same thing. So I visited the Spectre site, dug around a little and found the filter specs--

6.5" o.d.
Tapers to 3.67" o.d.
overall length 8.6"
3" i.d.

Then I visited AEMs site and looked for the closest dryflow filter--

P/N 21-2038DK
6" o.d.
Tapers to 5.125 o.d.
length 8.125"
3" i.d.

I dug a little more the msrp is about $55, and a prefilter cover is another $32

I could not find cfm ratings for this filter however, it may be close enough. I do not see why it would not fit that housing.

I hope this has helped someone.

Matt

Last edited:
I thought who cares, then I realized you must be in California. From an automotive standpoint, it must suck to live there. Could you just get a CARB sticker from something else and put it on there or do they check it that closely.

Yeah, we definately have some extra hoops to jump through. My current K&N FIPK is CARB approved and it came with an embossed CARB sticker with the K&N logo on it. I'd guess my smog check place has never verified the CARB ID# on the sticker before. They probably just look at the logo on the sticker and the matching logo on the intake and call it good. Now if they saw K&N on the sticker and Spectre on the intake, they might get a little suspicious. I'm just hoping that at my next smog check they don't care that I've replaced my K&N cone filter with a nice blue Amsoil one...

I understand what you are saying but I can tell you that my stock air filter was not filtering well (Purolator), my TB was full of fine dust. On my other XJ's that are running K&N's the TB's are always clean at the throat.

I guess you could cover the filter with a prefilter cloth like K&N uses, shouldnt be a problem.

Now that is weird. I tried K&N but got dusty in the intake tube right after the first trail ride so I cleaned it out and went with purolator filters since and it's never been dirty after the switch and it's been two years and a few dry summer runs.

does the filter stay sealed through deep crossings?

Don't know yet, but I have sprayed it down with a hose (while the engine was running) and checked it after wards and it was dry

would it be better to use this filter and use a reducer on the intake side to 3"?

4" inlet/outlet and 5" body

More air is better! I don't have the room to neck down at the fender though

Now that is weird. I tried K&N but got dusty in the intake tube right after the first trail ride so I cleaned it out and went with purolator filters since and it's never been dirty after the switch and it's been two years and a few dry summer runs.

My stock air box was far less water/dust tight than this set-up, and that was part of the problem.

I checked and cleaned the filter 2 weeks ago after 7 trail runs this season and it was still clean. While on the trail I turn my snorkel backwards to keep tree limbs from hitting/hanging and that helps keep some of the dirt out of intake as well, plus being higher from the settling dust helps also.

On the road I turn it back around and it works like a ram-air unit, I can actually feel the engine build power on the highway the faster I run.

I'm lovin' this set-up!

Sorry, I'm not too familiar with the pre '97 models... Is that the ABS pump behind the filter housing in your picture? Do you think this set up would be compact enough to use in a '97-'01 with ABS? I know I'd have to relocate the washer fluid bottle regardless, but here's what I'd be working with...

100_8826.jpg

Edit: Oh, and I wonder if that Spectre set up is CARB approved? :eyes:

Not to Hijack, But how did you get that air compressor mounted like that?

is it hooked up to an airlocker? every one i've heard runs quite a bit on the trail.

My Viair 480c is hooked up to 2 air lockers, The trick is to have an air reservoir so it does not have to run often. I use it to charge a 200PSI 2.5 gal Vair air tank (Installed up under the rear bumper). It runs for about 5 minutes to charge up the tank then I can switch the lockers on & off all day & it will not run (Until I need it fill up the tires).
My setup is a little complicated, I had to install a regulator to drop the air pressure to around 95Psi for ARB use, I installed a 100psi safety valve downstream of the regulator to ensure the air lockers from excessive pressure (in case the regulator ever fails). I used air brake tubing to connect the underhood compressor to the rear air tank, a 210Psi safety valve in the tank. I hook up the Air hose at a quick connector installed directly on the tank. It airs up a 32 inch tire from 10 to 32PSI in under a minute.
PS: I used the ARB compressor harness to run Viair compressor & Lockers, It works fine.

Last edited:
Do you have a link to Spectre's site for that filter setup? Searching 9833 on their site doesn't find anything. This would be perfect for the cowl intake setup I'm planning.

Not to Hijack, But how did you get that air compressor mounted like that?

I made a bracket for it out of some scrap aluminum plate. Removed the mounting feet and then bolted the bracket to the end of the compressor. There are already threaded holes there that you can use. I designed the bracket to re-use the rubber isolators. I spoke to one of the techs at Viair and he saw no problem with mounting it in that position. I also have a Viair 480C so you should be alright, however I don't think you could fit anything much larger. As it was I had to replace my K&N cone with a shorter Amsoil cone to make room.

100_7945.jpg

100_7944.jpg

100_7946.jpg

As for heat affecting the CAI, I'm in agreement with you. I have a 1 gallon Viair tank mounted above the rear axle and dual ARBs. I get about 20-30 activations before the compressor kicks on and it only stays on about 1 minute. Sure it gets hot when you're filling tires, but that's only once at the end of the run and you're not driving then anyways. Getting back on the highway to drive home cools it down pretty quick.

Back on topic, I passed my CA smog inspection last week with an Amsoil filter on my K&N FIPK, but I'm still curious if anyone using the Spectre filter thinks I'd have room for it with my ABS equipment in the way?

I made a bracket for it out of some scrap aluminum plate. Removed the mounting feet and then bolted the bracket to the end of the compressor. There are already threaded holes there that you can use. I designed the bracket to re-use the rubber isolators. I spoke to one of the techs at Viair and he saw no problem with mounting it in that position. I also have a Viair 480C so you should be alright, however I don't think you could fit anything much larger. As it was I had to replace my K&N cone with a shorter Amsoil cone to make room.

100_7945.jpg

100_7944.jpg

100_7946.jpg

As for heat affecting the CAI, I'm in agreement with you. I have a 1 gallon Viair tank mounted above the rear axle and dual ARBs. I get about 20-30 activations before the compressor kicks on and it only stays on about 1 minute. Sure it gets hot when you're filling tires, but that's only once at the end of the run and you're not driving then anyways. Getting back on the highway to drive home cools it down pretty quick.

Back on topic, I passed my CA smog inspection last week with an Amsoil filter on my K&N FIPK, but I'm still curious if anyone using the Spectre filter thinks I'd have room for it with my ABS equipment in the way?

Very Nice, I think I am going to remount mine that way.

Back