• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speakers too heavy for back hatch

mike harris

NAXJA Forum User
I mounted 6x9s in boxes to the rear hatch.They sound great but the hatch won't stay open now.Where can I find higher pressure struts?Thanks

mike harris said:
I mounted 6x9s in boxes to the rear hatch.They sound great but the hatch won't stay open now.Where can I find higher pressure struts?Thanks

Your struts are kissed.......$20 each at Checker.

I just did a cheap trick with mine after mounting 2 6x9"s, 2 4"s and a shovel and axe on the outside...

Get an extra strut...

Take two little pieces of 3/16" plate and drill two holes (same size as the male threaded stubs of the strut) in each about 1.5" apart - next un-thread the ends of the struts off and assembly a pair together - I could then run three struts on the hatch...

Matt

5-90 said:
What year XJ? The struts may be shot to begin with...

Also, why boxes? Any particular reason? I fit 6x9's in my rear hatch behind the trim panel without any real trouble...

5-90
The speakers sound "tighter" in boxes.The strutts held fine without the speakers.I kind of thought I would have to address this problem while I was mounting them....these are really heavy 6x9s.They are 400 watts and the magnets weigh like 50 oz. a piece!I noticed the strutts hold better on a hotter day,I think this is due to the fact that the hotter air causes the gas to be more expanded thus creating higher pressure.I don't think these strutts are worn out...It's just that the speakers are HEAVY!!

Matt said:
I just did a cheap trick with mine after mounting 2 6x9"s, 2 4"s and a shovel and axe on the outside...

Get an extra strut...

Take two little pieces of 3/16" plate and drill two holes (same size as the male threaded stubs of the strut) in each about 1.5" apart - next un-thread the ends of the struts off and assembly a pair together - I could then run three struts on the hatch...

Matt
HEY Matt,I'm mounting my shovel and axe to the jeep here soon,and was thinking of mounting them to the hatch.How did you do it?

I just used some old tech and copied the front of the shovel mount off my 1943 MB and then just made a basket for the axe head - the shovel handle is held on by a 1/4" diam. friction fit rod that goes up through the handle...

The axle handle is just a wing nut and bolt affair - now that I chopped the back I mounted the same stuff flat and use a second wing nut and bolt for the axe...

Hatch mounts:

exo_shovel3.jpg

And the new bed mounts:

gear_mounts1.jpg

Matt

Back