• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Space for a spare 33"

Whoa whoa whoa crazy talk.

1. 84-96 hatches are fiberglass, it'd be a disaster to screw a tire carrier on there with a tire and actually expect it to hold up.
2. Even with proper reinforcement, good luck with the stock hatch struts holding up a 80 pound tire.
3. There's no practical way to ensure proper reinforcement on a fiberglass hatch, really. And it'd be tough to do so even on the sheet metal 97-01 hatches.

ddeadserious said:
Whoa whoa whoa crazy talk.

1. 84-96 hatches are fiberglass, it'd be a disaster to screw a tire carrier on there with a tire and actually expect it to hold up.
2. Even with proper reinforcement, good luck with the stock hatch struts holding up a 80 pound tire.
3. There's no practical way to ensure proper reinforcement on a fiberglass hatch, really. And it'd be tough to do so even on the sheet metal 97-01 hatches.

thats what i was thinking. on a 97-01 if the steel hatch would hold it, the hatch with the tired would be super heavy.

Whatever you do, just make sure it's secured. An 80 pound tire flying around in the cab during an accident on the trail or the road will kill you at surprisingly slow speeds.

mudslinger4x4 said:
if you can't get a swing out bumper just mount it on the hatch. i've seen some people do it on here. take a mount from something like a liberty or wrangler and bolt it to the back. that way you still have the same amount of room as when you would normally open the hatch.

It will only work on a steel gate in any practical sense. And would require buying stronger gas struts to hold the gate open, and help lift it.

And as far as I know, it hasn't been done yet?
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=933765

Soon, though I hope... we shall see.

XJEEPER said:
I'm working on a cargo rack that will sit above the spare and my plan is to weld a plate to the floor that will incorporate a quick release retension system for the spare so I don't have to rely on a ratchet strap. I doubt a strap would do little to keep the tire in place if I were to go rubber side up............

Depends on the ratchet strap. Redart (Beard) makes a 3 point ratchet strap for tires. I'll take a pic of mine when i get home.

anotherskait said:
It wont fit laying flat in the back.

My 33x12.5 BFG MT fits in the back of my 92' just have to kick it off to the side so tha hatch will close.

My answer to carrying 33x10.50 was a little unconventional. Mine's mounted in the ('94)OEM location. I removed the valve core and put a nylon strap around the tire and sinched it up til it was flat with negative air pressure. Replaced the valve core and left the strap. It's definately a snug fit and touches the hatch when closing it. It's been like that for a couple of years with no problem. One other thing, it helps that the spare has about half the tread gone. I also put a vinyl cover over the tire so stuff I carry won't get black rubbed off on it. Oh yes, I also have a Thomas OBAC to deal with the lack of air in the tire.

Back