• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sound Systems??

Sorry that was not posted when I asked.
I'll stop asking stupid questions now....

imma honky said:
400 watts for a head unit?!?! I dont think so.... The max I have seen so far is mine, 27 rms (dont remember the peak).
**Cheapxj, You said you put a 00 or 01 headliner in your 89... did that require many mods to get it to fit or did it just slide right in? Also, where are the speaker spots located? B/c I already baought a soundbar, but I havent put it in yet.

the easiest way to install the newer headliner in the older XJ would be to grab ALL the newer domelights/visors and the mounting hardware, from there, it's just remove the old, replace with new.

I had to modify mine ONLY because I have a factory sunroof and I did not grab the newer domelights. the rear light fit well, I just had to turn it sideways, the old-style front domelight will not cover the hole in the headliner of the newer XJ, so you defintely need to grab that, unless you have a roof console. If your sun visors are the short ones (they do not meet in the middle) they will probably fit the newer headliner's existing holes.

it was extremely simple though, and since the speaker wiring doesn't go through the hatch (the harness that goes into my hatch is about shot) you don't have to worry about losing connection in the harness between the body and the hatch.

I've also gotten my new headliner wet, and it has yet to show any signs of sagging. I am EXTREMELY happy that I did it. the newer one will have the holes for rear shoulder harnesses, so be aware of that (if you don't have the shoulder harnii, that would be an excellent location to mount some 3/4" tweeters)

here's what it looks like in mine
myxj10.jpg

myxj12.jpg

Sweetness. It looks really good. How much did it cost you to gank all it out (im assuming you went to a j-yard). The tweeters idea sounds good, but I like hauling people around, so i think ill keep my rear harnesses. Plus, I can put that speaker bar anywhere, maybe jerry rig it up in the center....that would make 8 speakers! Thanks.

i know this

sony explode head unit., 4 inch infinity kappa separates with passive crossover in both the door and the headliner try www.hookedontronics.com they have really good prices, then 2 kappa 12 inch subs, the amp is bolted to the sub box which only took up 4.5 inches of space behind the passenger seat I might be able to get you picts, and send you the plans for the box, but this is all a few more dollars than you wanted to spend, but it was less than $600 and I'll put it up against any of those little kids driving mommies neon's with the weed whacker exhaust and spending thousands of mommy and daddy's money on stereo equipment and neon mods.

if wanna play with the big dogs, u have to stop peeing like a puppy...... opps rant, yea well

That sounds like a sweet system, except for the Amp mounted to the box. That is a sure way to shorten the life of your amp. They don't appreciate the constant vibrations of the woofs. I would strongly suggest installing your amp under the rear seat. My eclipse amp is fairly large, but it still fits under the rear seat on the drivers side.

imma honky said:
Sweetness. It looks really good. How much did it cost you to gank all it out (im assuming you went to a j-yard). The tweeters idea sounds good, but I like hauling people around, so i think ill keep my rear harnesses. Plus, I can put that speaker bar anywhere, maybe jerry rig it up in the center....that would make 8 speakers! Thanks.

cost $7 for me, the Jeep was rolled and the headliner was creased, but I cut the crease out when I cut for the sunroof.

they started putting the shoulder harnii in the rear in 1990, mine doesn't have them at all (just lap belts)

I'd strongly suggest not putting a soundbar in the center. set up a good soundstage up front and use the rear speakers for mid-range fill. the highest frequencies are the most directional, as the frequency gets lower, your ears are less able to tell where the frequency is coming from.

tweeters, mounted in the right spots make ALL the difference in the world with stereo imaging in a vehicle.

CheapXJ... about that sunroof

I want one really bad. Yours was factory right? How hard do you think it would be to install one from junkyard? Or would it be better to go with an aftermarket one?

Mine's a 95 4 door. I don't want an electric one, just one that is clear and tilts up, or removes completely.

Thanks...
I've had my liner completely out, and would have no problem cutting etc..

If you intend to run the mains off the head unit then look for very efficient speakers rather than a high-power head. Many companies way over-rate their stuff to make it look better. Peak power is only important if you listen to music with a wide dynamic range....this does not include most popular styles of music, but classical and movie soundtracks often have very dramatic dynamic changes and you'll hear the unit run out of power when it happens... at any rate. Go with Clarion, Alpine, or Eclipse if you're looking for SQ (if you're just looking for SPL, ignore everything I write...doesn't matter anyway - you'll be deaf soon enough...remember, anything over 110dB long-term can damage your hearing, anything over 120dB can damage your hearing, even short-term. These numbers do go up as the frequency goes down, because you are less sensitive to those frequencies, but I don't have the numbers.) Pioneer is also an excellent brand, but not in the same class as those three (and the price reflects it). If it fits in older models, go for the Alpine MP3 capable head; I have a slighty older version of it and it is an excellent unit. Having MP3 capability is fantanstic. This is out of your price range right now, but I would save up and do it right the first time... even if you have to run the stock speakers for awhile. Anyway, I'm not gonna ramble on and on... but that's my advice. Save up and buy a very good-quality head unit. Stick to high-quality brands (I named four, but in an effort not to offend anyone's system here I'll not name brands that are NOT high-quality, except for Sony. I apoligize to anyone that owns Sony, I hope you're happy with it. But to everyone else, avoid Sony car-audio products. I'll leave it at that.) And to answer your very first question, my system consists of:
(I don't remember any product numbers for any of this stuff and don't feel like looking it up!)
Alpine MP3 Head
Boston Acoustics 5.25" Frnt
Boston Acoustics 6.5" Rear
Audiobahn Amp connect (4 ga. PWR + GRD; shielded interconnects, etc.)
Audiobahn Class AB Mono channel amp (1801Q? somewhere around 400-500 watts at 3 ohms)
Audiobahn SQ 10" sub, .6 FT sealed box (shoulda made it just a little bigger - rolls off too quick, not as much cabin gain as I anticipated)

I haven't spent a significant amount of time working on it since I first put the system together, so it could sound better than it does. Oh well... Good luck!

Oh yeah, and concerning the subwoofer box rolling around offroad - here's what I did...
http://community.webshots.com/photo/62833728/62834558rTiesD

I know this isn't the for sale forum, but I just thought I'd let the stereo people know that I have a pioneer 12" in an unopened box in my garage that I'd like to part with. I got two of them from a friend, used one for my cherokee, and never touched the other. If anyone is looking for something like that, PM me.

Marcus

I ordered a JL Audio 10" box from a local car audio shop. If fits in the pass side, recessed area behind the wheel. It was around 160.00.

I put an old bazooka 10" sub in for now, and cheap amp. It sounds ok, but will be better with a good speaker and amp. It has a black textured finish like a bedliner. In fact, it blends in really well with my bedlined interior.

I have an alpine deck, and JL Audio 5.25s in front and rear sound bar. In front, they're mounted in bedlined aluminum door panels. No more carpet strip, and some sound dampening gained. These 4 are run by deck power for now, but an amp is in the future.

CB

Back