• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sopa Internet strike

The thing is, it's not that easy. There might be some really good bands out there, but they are just starting out. No matter how good you are, you gotta start somewhere. If you're trying to get your music out there and it's being stolen, you don't make enough money to get by on and you end up quitting. Every good band was once a nobody struggling to get by. Popularity is no measure of greatness...look how popular Godsmack and Nickelback once were...:D
On the other side there are bands out there now that are hugely popular but never quite fit the mold record labels require. Thanks to YouTube, music sharing sites and many other sites like these, bands like that have been able to hit the mainstream. And are making money hand over fist.

If it wasn't for youtube (would be closed under SOPA) We wouldn't have Justin Bieber! God save the biebs!

More hope and change from our buddy and his goons in Washington.

If the sites want to have an impact get Facebook and the other social sites to participate. I know people that would go into withdrawal like a junky if they could not get to Facebook.

More hope and change from our buddy and his goons in Washington.

If the sites want to have an impact get Facebook and the other social sites to participate. I know people that would go into withdrawal like a junky if they could not get to Facebook.

check out that link i posted, people are doing exactly that over wikipedia of all things. I agree though too bad there wasn't just one big switch to throw to shut all of the web down at once for like 8 hours. I don't think people realize just how dependent we all are on the freedom we have in using the internet in it's current state.

As a content provider (music label), I applaud anything that gives copyright laws some teeth. I understand that sopa's vague in some regards -- in need of certain revisions -- however, the current online atmosphere is comparable to the wild west (without a sheriff in sight), and the latest generation needs to understand there's an actual dollar value producing media content. It’s not free.
nice troll

BTW, contrary to that YouTube video, we’re not part of some stereotypical corporation who takes pride in going after regular folks, we’re not proponents of corporate censorship, we’re not a bunch of old farts desperately holding onto prehistoric marketing models, we don’t want to put any legitimate site out of business, or single-handedly destroy innovation. We simply want to protect our artist’s interests, and we would like to see some improved laws to help us achieve that goal. You need to ask yourself if you think it’s normal for a musician to spill their guts on a record, and bare a huge expense at the recording studio only to have their content sold on some foreign site collecting revenue via MasterCard, Visa or PayPal with none of that revenue going back to the artist. Would you take kindly to some Chinese firm stealing Lockheed Martin blueprints so they can manufacture their own model for resale? Would you take kindly if MasterCard was the payment provider for those transactions? Would you take kindly if there were no laws at your disposal to correct this problem? That’s what's at stake to us, and I wager you watch movies and listen to music more often than you blow shit up, so maybe there’s some value to what we provide afterall.

I understand artists should get the money for what they have written and produced, but the problem with SOPA is it is extremely vague to what it concerns. It is an anti piracy bill and when you think piracy you mostely think music and movies, but it is an anti copywrite infringement bill. So because it is so vague, technically naxja could be fined for some of the links people post. Even if the link isn't to a pirated fsm even if its to a copied, copywritten tech article from a magazine on someones blog or something rediculous. Or they may even be fined for the southpark clip that was posted. As harmless as it may seem. Did the makers of southpark lose any money with the clip that was posted? No. SOPA is more than just ensuring musical artists and their record labels get their money, it the government controling us just a little bit more in a way that doesn't seem like much but when actually studied, takes away much more of the freedom that we still have.

Well he went from applauding it and backed down to not wanting blanket solutions but happy it brought attention.
Did I not also say "I understand that sopa's vague in some regards -- in need of certain revisions "?
SOPA brought attention to the problem, and I think that's a good thing; I think these protests are a good thing too. Hopefully a compromise will come out of this mess opposed to having copyright reform swept under the rug for yet another decade.

I find it ironic, that based on previous "discussions" we have had, that your comments are in perfect alignment with Marxist Saul Alinsky
You can take your Marxist Bullcrap and cram it where ever it is folks like you generally cram things. My business functions in a capitalist environment, and I’m not looking for any special treatment. I simply want the right to sell or share my product in a fair marketplace (just like any other business). No more, no less.

Ah! Previous arguments set up a response like that . Now that makes alot of sense and like you said i don't "know" the guy .
You can always read my profile. My turn-ons include: Intellectual Thuggery, Sexy Sex, Polish Vodka, Canadian Whisky, Cuban Cigars, Italian Cuisine, Brazilian Brunettes, and Jeeps.
My turn-offs include: cloudy days, fatties, smelly cheeses and fanatic freaks (ie xjeeper).

The thing is, it's not that easy. There might be some really good bands out there, but they are just starting out. No matter how good you are, you gotta start somewhere. If you're trying to get your music out there and it's being stolen, you don't make enough money to get by on and you end up quitting. Every good band was once a nobody struggling to get by. Popularity is no measure of greatness...look how popular Godsmack and Nickelback once were...:D
Exactly. You can’t judge success based on the bottom line alone. The marketplace is full of niche service providers whose gross sales will never match the figures of their mass-market counterparts. Just look at some of the guys that offer parts for our XJs. AJs Armor’s sales pail in comparison to those of an oem bumper manufacturer; does that imply he offers an inferior product? Hells no!!

nice troll
Not really. I have a vested interested in copyright laws, a large portion of our sales come from America, US laws have a way of quickly disseminating into Canada, and gosh darn it, we have ‘teh internets’ up here too.
Nice fail though.

I understand artists should get the money for what they have written and produced, but the problem with SOPA is it is extremely vague to what it concerns.
I agree with what you said. Maybe I'm being naive, but I'm still hoping to see some compromise -- with a resulting law that translates favorably across international markets.

The sponsor/author of SOPA has been caught Violating a copyright.

Texas Rep. Lamar Smith, R-San Antonio has been using an image for his website background that he did not pay for or even give credit to the photographer.

"I do not see anywhere on the screen capture that you have provided that the image was attributed to the source (me). So my conclusion would be that Lamar Smith's organization did improperly use my image. So according to the SOPA bill, should it pass, maybe I could petition the court to take action against www.texansforlamarsmith.com."
http://www.vice.com/read/lamar-smith-sopa-copyright-whoops

Last edited:
On the other side there are bands out there now that are hugely popular but never quite fit the mold record labels require. Thanks to YouTube, music sharing sites and many other sites like these, bands like that have been able to hit the mainstream. And are making money hand over fist.
Youtube would likely undergo a massive change, to where the only access to copyrighted material would be through the actual copyright owners, and depending on your view, that could be good or bad. Music sharing sites like iTunes, Amazon MP3, Pandora, Spotify, etc etc, would be unaffected. They make deals with the content providers to use/sell the music, video, whatever and pay royalties to the provider. Bands, like Karmin, who have relied on YouTube exposure and iTunes/Amazon MP3 sales to get off the ground would still have access, but they also wouldn't have hundreds of other links to their music, not giving them credit, which, again, could be good or bad depending on your outlook. Sites such as Limewire or Kazaa would be shut down since they generally are nothing more than people illegally sharing files and viruses. I see no problem with that.

The wording needs to be considerably more specific so that abuse would be less likely/impossible, but I also see us having a hard time enforcing any such law since the web isn't just American. I wouldn't support the bill as is, but making piracy more difficult is always a good thing.
If it wasn't for youtube (would be closed under SOPA) We wouldn't have Justin Bieber! God save the biebs!
You've just convinced me we need SOPA.
The sponsor/author of SOPA has been caught Violating a copyright.

Texas Rep. Lamar Smith, R-San Antonio has been using an image for his website background that he did not pay for or even give credit to the photographer.

"I do not see anywhere on the screen capture that you have provided that the image was attributed to the source (me). So my conclusion would be that Lamar Smith's organization did improperly use my image. So according to the SOPA bill, should it pass, maybe I could petition the court to take action against www.texansforlamarsmith.com."
http://www.vice.com/read/lamar-smith-sopa-copyright-whoops
That's pretty hilarious.

I find it amazing that some of the most popular and successful bands ie grateful dead, phish, Spokane brothers, have relied on people sharing "pirated" music recordings to spread their talent, in college I saw more than one band gain fans by handing out CDs after to copy and pass on

And on NPR yesterday they spent a couple mins telling how to get around the censorship then and if it happens for real

No but they could have easily burned 2-300 CDs for less than $100 and made good money

correct me if I am wrong but Ive always thought that If I go to a music store and buy a cd and start listening to it, then one of my friends hears it (who has never heard it) and i burn a copy and GIVE not sell it to him, I did not break any laws. Am i correct in my thinking??? But what if he in return is listening to it and another friend likes it and he does the same thing and GIVES not sells it to him. Did he break any laws?? Copyright laws were originally put into place to stop people from selling pirated music not sharing with your friends.

So What Laws were broken if any??

correct me if I am wrong but Ive always thought that If I go to a music store and buy a cd and start listening to it, then one of my friends hears it (who has never heard it) and i burn a copy and GIVE not sell it to him, I did not break any laws. Am i correct in my thinking??? But what if he in return is listening to it and another friend likes it and he does the same thing and GIVES not sells it to him. Did he break any laws?? Copyright laws were originally put into place to stop people from selling pirated music not sharing with your friends.

So What Laws were broken if any??

You might be right...up until the Digital Millennium Copyright act of 2001.

That pretty much made any copy of any kind...including copies for yourself (ripping a DVD to have on your hard drive) illegal.

Back