• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Someone stole my stuff, need screw size

XJ=Fun

NAXJA Forum User
So... Someone stole my grill and headlight bezels. I ordered a new set, but am not sure what the screw size is. Any recommendations? :dunno:

Just root around your garage. I bet you find some randoms that fit. Or go to the junk yard and grab some. Pull your dash panel off. The ones that hold in most of the components are the same. Bring one to the hardware store for comparison. I never separate my screws when I do projects and it's never mattered.

A P.O. of my XJ seemed to think drywall screws were interchangeable with the OEM hardware. Personally, I have not been impressed by the quality of the drywall screws. There is a better way.

JY is one answer.

I have an automotive paint supplier which has a carousel of body fasteners. The right stuff would be there. You might see if you can find a similar shop in your neck of the woods. Perhaps search for PPG suppliers.

I have also found a "book" of body hardware at my local NAPA. It is a binder with each piece laminated onto the pages. Kind of thick and bulky, but a great way to search for the right thing. It might be worth noting that this NAPA also mixes automotive paint. I don't know if that "book" can be found in all NAPA stores or not.

#6 / #8 screws 1" to 2" depending on location.

Lows sells some stainless steel ones, if you want that little detail look. Or just buy a small bag of #6 and #8 screws. also at lows. I use Lows of ALL my auto shopping

Back