• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some California Laws Suck

I run a smog station and napa is full of shit. Go to a competent muffler shop the can order OEM replacement cat. We use them all day long, and there half the price.

My universal cat from Summit has passed smog twice.

Then again, in Washington, they don't care what is under the hood or under the car so long as the emissions from the pipe are within limits.

I have a question along these lines.

I've long been a fan of put a cat on the vehicle from a vehicle with a bigger engine. I usually end up using a cat that was intended for an 8.1 L Chevy truck application.... I'll grab the biggest high flow cat I can find for that application in the diameter I want, and put it in.

Over 4 different Jeeps now and the last 6 years or so I've been doing this, the Jeeps have all passed with flying colors, leaving the smog guys scratching their heads cause the POS looking Jeep puffs cleaner than a lot of newer cars. My theory is that the more actual catalyst, the cleaner the tail pipe emissions. And, since normally the tail pipe emissions tank when the catalyst metal is gone (either from fuel dump, age, or impact) that is when you fail smog. So, more catalyst... barring fuel dumps or smacking off rocks... means the thing will puff cleaner for longer too.

And, on those 4 Jeeps over the last 6 years or so, it has seemed to work.

Sorry this is such a long ass thread hijack, BTW.

NOW for how this all ties in to Kommifornia and the OP's first post:

I've got a 98 XJ with 201 K miles on it. It was tagged as a gross polluter before I got a tune up done and O2 sensor (upstream) changed. After that, it passed, but only barely, and I don't think it will pass again next year.

I'm upgrading my exhaust anyway, and I've been thinking of putting a 2.5 to 3 inch in/out cat on this thing, like I've done on those others. The other ones were all OBD I though. I can't find a high flow big ass big block cat that has provision for the downstream sensor, so I am thinking of doin what Johnny did and welding the bung into the new cat.

My question here is twofold: 1) Will that sensor trigger a code if the Jeep is "running too clean"?

2) Short of going to Johnny's smog guy, what are really my odds on passing/not passing (assuming no codes)? I mean, it'll be a physically larger than stock unit, it'll have the O2 sensor, the Jeep will puff cleaner than the day it came off the line... I think I'd be good... but really dunno.

Oh yeah, reason for upsizing the diameter of the cat is that I'm looking to go to 2.5 inch pipe from the header all the way out... and if I end up with non-mandrel bent stuff, I'm thinking of maybe 2.75 or 3 inch to make up for the crimps in the bends.

over2land said:
I've got a 98 XJ with 201 K miles on it. It was tagged as a gross polluter before I got a tune up done and O2 sensor (upstream) changed. After that, it passed, but only barely, and I don't think it will pass again next year.
If I was you I'd find out what is wrong: my 97 has probably 180K miles on it (hard to say exactly as the cluster got swapped out couple times) and it passes cleaner then new with nothing fancy done to it.
My 99 which has about 160K miles on it passed as a new one does.
My dad's 94 which has my old engine out of the 98 with someplace between 170 and 190 K on the ticker also passes with flying colors.

What am I getting at? Sounds like you have a problem and I don't think that putting in a bigger cat is the right solution.

My question here is twofold: 1) Will that sensor trigger a code if the Jeep is "running too clean"?
nope
2) Short of going to Johnny's smog guy, what are really my odds on passing/not passing (assuming no codes)? I mean, it'll be a physically larger than stock unit, it'll have the O2 sensor, the Jeep will puff cleaner than the day it came off the line... I think I'd be good... but really dunno.
I think that all they do is look to make sure there is one there.
Oh yeah, reason for upsizing the diameter of the cat is that I'm looking to go to 2.5 inch pipe from the header all the way out... and if I end up with non-mandrel bent stuff, I'm thinking of maybe 2.75 or 3 inch to make up for the crimps in the bends.
I'm trying to remember the discusion and the end of it, but for some reason I remember reading about loss of power/performance when going with a bigger diameter exhause due to the loss of back pressure. You might want to look into that before upgrading.

Remi-

I think the problem is that the O2 sensor was shot for so long or at least long enough, and it was run in this condition that the added fuel dumped caused cat failure. The first 100 miles or so I had it (and drove it :banghead:) I got 6 mpg. That number was highway (not sitting in traffic).

Now, I'm getting 20 or so highway... depending on speed.

Oh yeah... my tune up... the plugs that came out... not one was under .060 gap... it'd been that long since they'd been changed. Two were over .080 (the max my gap tool goes to)

As for the back pressure thing. I've heard that. But my red MJ, I went with 2.5 pipe, 2.5 in/out cat, and 2.5 70-series flowmaster and I've had no problems out of the MJ from that particular modification. Not saying I'm going bigger out of the gate... but if I went with a 3.0 in/out cat and 2.5 pipe... then if I wanted to go bigger in the future (I'd never go past 3.0 with the 4.0L six) I can. And, I can do it without replacing the dang cat again.

I have a shop I use here in Riverside that fully welds the tube, stands behind their stuff (I've busted a weld on my YJ 5 times now... at the stainless header to the down pipe... because my driveshaft annihilates it... 4 of the 5 times I've gone back bitchin about a leak, they fixed it free of charge (the other one time, I had them make me a new head pipe). Point is, they are cheap, they stand behind the work, and everytime I mess with suspension or skidplating, it is easy and cheap enough for me to go back and get things changed. So, if I wanted to go 3-inch I could... and it'd be like 100 bucks, maybe 150 to do so out the door. Not a huge deal if I wanna play around with exhaust. You know as well as I do, not everything you are told can be believed, and sometime you just gotta find out for yourself.

Perfect example: I was told the torsion rubber MORE bombproof motor mounts would work fine in the XJ with no out of the ordinary vibes. Yeah, maybe not. In my MJ with the Renix and the manual, I didn't see this kind of vibration. I put the mounts in it today, drove it maybe 20 miles since, and already I'm half tempted to make some ZJ or WJ mounts work in there. Can't beleive everything you hear/read.

I've never heard that before. Just go to an exhaust shop, they'll set you up.

I work at NAPA in WA state and we have a listing that says OBDII vehicles with CA emissions won't pass with the cat we sell.

Back