• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

some advice from bow hunters?

kayle666

NAXJA Forum User
So im considering buying a compound bow or a crossbow for target practice, not really hunting as im way to lazy for that. in middle school we had an archery program and i loved it and being CA they killed it. ive been hunting CL but honestly i have no idea whats worth what.

so my questions are pros and cons of compound vs cross. i admit that the crossbow is more appealing because it looks like it takes less skill. but then again i have no damn idea. im looking for a mid grade bow anyway something intermediate not pro by any means, but not so basic im gonna have to buy another one again in a year.

thoughts? advice? dont do it?

thanks in advance!
:cheers:

Head over to your local bow shop and shoot a bunch too see what you like. Bows can be 200 bucks or 3000. Arrows range from 3 bucks each to.30.
I killed my first black bear, and 4 wild boars with 350 dollar rig. Then I just upgraded from there.

Archery is very addictive.

Sights, range finders, arrows, broadheads, strings cables, rests, quivers, releases, peeps, sights....the options are endless.
Just pick a bow you like. Any. And build from there.
And start living at archerytalk.com.

Last edited:
Lol. Well get yourself a crossbow for target shooting. My grouping at 100 yards is 15 -16 inches with my 72 pound compound. Crossbows can group at 7 inches at 100 yards EASY.
I have never seen one at our local ranges.

Best suggestion is to take it to your local archery shop. They can determine if it's worth fixing. They can test for cracks, warping, limb pressure, etc.

Would you say you know what you're doing Mako?

I've got some old bows from my grandfather's garage that I wouldn't mine re-stringing and playing with if they're safe.

What has more resale value, crossbow or bow?

Where do plan on shooting, indoor range or field archery?

if you are looking for something to have fun with and just shoot and learn , buy a recurve or long bow all instinctive no sights or other bs just a bow and arrow and hrs days years of fun.

a crossbow is not much fun to target shoot with not to mention pulling the weight back every time you shoot, not for the lazy lol.

a compound bow is fun and can be tuned in to be very accurate with practice.

While all three are great fun i think a compound would suit you well

From my personal experience...a compound bow is way more fun than a crossbow if you are just into some non-competetive target shooting!
I did both, and the crossbow of course is a lot more accurate and impressiveley powerfull, but for me it got boring after 5 shots. Reloading takes a lot of time and the shooting is not so much different to a rifle, that there would be some "special expierence". Other to that the compound bow reloads fast and it takes some skill to shoot it accurate over some distance. When you manage to shoot a nice grouping after some practice, the feeling of success is bigger...so is the fun.

(In addition to that, the compound bow would be my weapon of choice in case of a whatever-outbreak. It is silent, deadly, and with some practice you can shoot more than one arrow in a short time, if you would need it. It is lightweight, reliable because it is simple and sturdy, and the ammunition is reusable. So having some bow skills won't be a disadvantage....just in case! :D )

Back