• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Solving my 2000's heat soak issue

i have had major heat soak problems on my 01, i recently installed a set of hood louvers from american rock rods, have not had a problem since.

before the louver install, i had less heat soak issues if i ran fuel with no ethanol. since the only ethanol free fuel around me is 94 octane, i picked up a superchips tuner second hand for cheap and installed the perfromance 91 octane tune. it pepped up the jeep, improved my mileage, and then once combined with the louvers, totaly eliminated the heat soak issue.

Question: Have you checked your fuel pressure? I had what I thought was heat soak. Turned out the pump was only putting out just under 30psi. New pump solved the problem. Before you spend $$$ check the fuel pressure to see if you're around 40psi or so at the rail.

Copied from one of my builds on another forum

Found something the other day at work that should completely solve any more heat soak issues I'm having(beyond the big *** hood vent and soon Taurus fan swap). Heat Sheath - Aluminized Sleeving | Design Engineering, Inc. We only carry the 3/4" stuff, but I figured I would give it a shot and see how it works:
P7200004.jpg

P7200007.jpg

I'm using the intake of the other engine I have as a chance to test fit every thing, makes it nice so I don't have to fiddle with trying to figure out everything on my engine. 3/4" is a little too big, but it works. Just put the sleeve over the injector, pinch the excess material, fold it over, and secure it with a small zip tie, I put the doubled over part on the bottom side of the injector for a little better insulation from the manifold. The great thing about it is I think they sell you about 2' of sleeving, I only used 8-9" of it trying to figure out the best set up, and have cut that down to about 6" now, plenty to do a couple more engines.

I used the ELK timer, set to 3 minutes on the factory e-fan. I have found it is most effective if I turn the fan on a few minutes before my destination, then set the timer when I shut the engine off. Never had a problem using that routine. Without the fan, the heat soak is terrible, and sometimes it won't even start. I am suspecting a pressure issue as mention above, but the fan timer has fixed it for now.

I'm gonna wrap the injectors and see how it holds up, then vents/relay, then fan kit, then radiator upgrade. Those are already on my "list" but I wont be doing them all in a row. Probably go thru till I solve the problem then come back to the rest when I feel like it.

I t a nightmare to wrap it while still on the engine? I only ask cuz I don't have tools at my house and have to take it over to my buddy's aka "the tool shed." If its not to hard I'd like to be able to just do it in my drive way. I scoped it out and doesn't SEEM to bad

Question: Have you checked your fuel pressure? I had what I thought was heat soak. Turned out the pump was only putting out just under 30psi. New pump solved the problem. Before you spend $$$ check the fuel pressure to see if you're around 40psi or so at the rail.

Pardon my cluelessness, but how would I go about doing that?

Has anyone replaced their fuel pump to address a possible failing check valve? If so, did this remedy your issue?

A bit shy of 2 years ago I found myself in a situation with perfect conditions for heat soak, and had encountered it twice in the preceding hour... So I went and drove balls-out on the highway for about half an hour, went straight home, popped the hood, attached a fuel pressure gauge, shut the car off, clamped the fuel line (soft line connected to the fuel rail), and closed the hood.

I checked the fuel rail pressure every 20 minutes for the next few hours and it was rock-steady at ~45 psi IIRC (could be wrong on the number, been a while). This confirmed that the injectors were not leaking.

This leads me to believe that the check valve is what's ultimately failing, so I'd love some anecdotal evidence to support this theory. I'd really rather not band-aid the issue, especially considering my XJ has nearly 200,000 miles and could probably use a new fuel pump anyway.

Has anyone replaced their fuel pump to address a possible failing check valve? If so, did this remedy your issue?

A bit shy of 2 years ago I found myself in a situation with perfect conditions for heat soak, and had encountered it twice in the preceding hour... So I went and drove balls-out on the highway for about half an hour, went straight home, popped the hood, attached a fuel pressure gauge, shut the car off, clamped the fuel line (soft line connected to the fuel rail), and closed the hood.

I checked the fuel rail pressure every 20 minutes for the next few hours and it was rock-steady at ~45 psi IIRC (could be wrong on the number, been a while). This confirmed that the injectors were not leaking.

This leads me to believe that the check valve is what's ultimately failing, so I'd love some anecdotal evidence to support this theory. I'd really rather not band-aid the issue, especially considering my XJ has nearly 200,000 miles and could probably use a new fuel pump anyway.

Did you check the fuel pressure without punching the line too?

i had seen something somewhere sayin that if your masking tape had dried out, you could throw it in the microwave for a short while and it would come back to life, i dunno if the heat wrap tape is microwave safe, good chance that its not, but maybe worth a try on a small sample?? kinda random i know but hey it might do the trick.

i had seen something somewhere sayin that if your masking tape had dried out, you could throw it in the microwave for a short while and it would come back to life, i dunno if the heat wrap tape is microwave safe, good chance that its not, but maybe worth a try on a small sample?? kinda random i know but hey it might do the trick.

Given the fact that it contains metal I'm gonna go ahead and say this would be a terrible idea haha

Back