• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smell gas, driver side

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,
My '97 XJ 4.0L smells like gas, but only on the driver side when I get out. Passenger doesn't smell it and we can't smell it inside, but when I have them walk around to my side they smell it too. The cat was replaced by the dealership and I've only been driving it now for about 2 weeks, but most of the trips I do are very short, usually no more than a few minutes each way.

I've read that after exhaust upgrades/replacements its typical to smell something as the heat burns off the coating they put on the inside of the units for about a week. Is it possible this is what I'm still smelling? I've only done about 1 trip where it was 45 minutes/1 hour each way.

Also, should the new cat make my Jeep sound like a civic farting along? I really hate the new noise...I prefered it when the cat was bad, but it was causing acceleration problems.

Is there anything else I can look for? I've been trying to check for leaks but everyday I go outside to look underneath its either snowed or rained.

Thanks for all your help.

if its wet out, look around your vehicle to see if there is any gaseous color on the ground, my 94 seems to go through the efi. hose clips about every 2 years, if there looks to be some color when you pull away, it could be this, or i suppose if it was just the driver side, it might be te connection at the fuel rail, but i havent had any worries about this end of this du to it being somewhat protected. fuel leak near exhaust is bad, even if its just the return line, think about going into the store, and when you come back out, your vehicles lit up.

I just had something similar happen to my 87. it was the fuel filter located on the fuel rail just in front of the gas tank right behind the left rear wheel. in my case the filter was so old that it rusted at the barb coming out and was leaking. it could be one of the hoses as well. I would look there.

Did you just fill the tank ? open the door and see if the smell is stronger there or the cap is leaking. This is one of those things you really need to track down and that includes getting under there with a flashlight, looking and feeling around. Don't put it off..

So you are smelling gas??? Maybe it's just the driver :passgas:.

:roflmao:

I know what new exhaust smell you are talking about and it shouldn't be that. I've never mistaken that smell for gas. And no, the new cat shouldn't make the 4.0L engine sound like a Civic. Just start a trace from the back at the fuel tank and follow the lines underneath 'till you get into the engine bay. If you don't find it underneath then start searching the bay. Follow the flow of the fuel. That's a good way to make sure you search everywhere and you don't forget to look anywhere.

BruceB83 said:
So you are smelling gas??? Maybe it's just the driver :passgas:.

:roflmao:

I know what new exhaust smell you are talking about and it shouldn't be that. I've never mistaken that smell for gas. And no, the new cat shouldn't make the 4.0L engine sound like a Civic. Just start a trace from the back at the fuel tank and follow the lines underneath 'till you get into the engine bay. If you don't find it underneath then start searching the bay. Follow the flow of the fuel. That's a good way to make sure you search everywhere and you don't forget to look anywhere.

Also on the 97+ put your hand up there with a rag and move it around then pull it back out, smell it, the pump on them is way up top.

RichP said:
Also on the 97+ put your hand up there with a rag and move it around then pull it back out, smell it, the pump on them is way up top.

You want him to do what!?!?

Sorry, I couldn't help it...it made me laugh.

Finally had some dry days, no visual leakage on the ground. This weekend hopefully I'll get underneath it and track it down. Thanks for the advice.

Fianlly had a dry day, no visual leakage underneath it. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to track down where its coming from.

Back