• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smallest lift/ 35's/ cut fenders

Ludakris

NAXJA Forum User
ok, I have listened to what everyone is saying and i agree. Keep the lift at a minimum, and cut the fenders. I got an 89' 2dr and want to work my way up to 35's. I know i have to at least replace my D35 first, but i wanted to know what lift i will need. I am thinking a 4.5 or so max, and get out the sawzall. Is this do-able? are there guys out there doing it? the truck will be a trail beater so I am not concerned about hacking beyond recognition.
Luda

In that case take the fenders off and sell them for some mod money lol ....might still have to worry about stuffing the tires into the wheel wells and rubbing there but you could just get a longer bumpstop. I say go for it

my only issue is I have to have fender flares covering the tires. I would like to have it marginally be street legal, in MD that means fender flares covering the tires and bumpers around 28". I saw an article on the rear fender wells, and i like the idea of replacing them. this all looks like a great winter project...

just make sure to take plenty of pictures

You want to be around 6" or so with 35's. I run about 7" with plenty of fender hacking. With 4-1/2" and lots of cutting you could get the 35's to work. Remember to that many tire manu overstate the tire size. Get some TJ Sahara flares to cover your tires up if you need to. The Buchwacker flares are nice, but way to expensive and easy to break.
Troy

Has anyone done this and kept the rear bench seat? CHeapXJ said someting about a YJ bench. Does this fit? I would think that it would be a bit smaller.

i'm thinking the seat wont be an option. where the seat latches on the sides, is almost in the center of the wheel well. I am going to try and keep the seat, but other wise i will build something for storage in the seat's place. I want a flat floor to sleep on, if overnighting it. Its so much easier to crash in the back then setup a tent.

Without really cutting into the interior of the XJ like CheapXJ did. You can run 4.5" and clear a 35" tire.

Dirk runs 35" MTR's with around 5" of lift on his XJ.

NCxj said:
Without really cutting into the interior of the XJ like CheapXJ did. You can run 4.5" and clear a 35" tire.

Dirk runs 35" MTR's with around 5" of lift on his XJ.
That is true, but how much flex do you have. With my 32'' MTR the rear is almost touching, and I folded over to to pinch seam. So I could run a 35'', but I would not have very much flex.
Does anyone have any pics of just folding the outer part of the wheel well? Will it hit the seat on the inside? I have been wanting to do that, but this is my DD, so I want use of the rear seat.

I ran 36" on 4.5" of lift. Just have to trim a whole hell of a lot..

Fryphax said:
I ran 36" on 4.5" of lift. Just have to trim a whole hell of a lot..
any pics, you do anything to your wheelwells.

Starboard M said:
That is true, but how much flex do you have. With my 32'' MTR the rear is almost touching, and I folded over to to pinch seam. So I could run a 35'', but I would not have very much flex.
Does anyone have any pics of just folding the outer part of the wheel well? Will it hit the seat on the inside? I have been wanting to do that, but this is my DD, so I want use of the rear seat.

Bumpstops are your friend to fit a big tire with low COG.

RE/Hybrid Extreme Duty 5" lift with 35" MTR's

robyn3.jpg

robyn4.jpg

My Jeep is going under the knife, but when it comes out, I will be around 5" of lift with 35 MTRs. I believe the use of bumpstops is a misunderstanding in the 4x4 world. Especially with the XJs! We have problems with the front suspension having TO MUCH articulation, and the rear not any where close to what we think it should be. On my current setup i have extended bumpstops and the rear articulates MORE than the front!

When I step up to bigger tires, and better control arm angles. (Midarm setup) I will be rely on bump stops to BALANCE my two suspensions. The key word is balance, I may not have a ramp king, but I will be more stable and have a better performing Jeep because of it.

JMO! :guitar:

Matt

what he said. articulation is overrated! I run 6" of lift with 35's cut fenders, and longer bumpstops. Feels very stable on the trail. :cheers:

yeah but not enough flex will put you over on the trail. right?

Ramsey said:
yeah but not enough flex will put you over on the trail. right?

If the suspension is balanced front and rear...then you will be way better off. That's the key to setting everything up, making sure everything works together.

Back