• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smallest lift/ 35's/ cut fenders

Ramsey said:
yeah but not enough flex will put you over on the trail. right?

There is no REAL answer besides opinions. So here is mine.

I have rolled a vehicle because of lack of ARTICULATION. here is the kicker though. I KNEW IT WAS COMING. I could expect it. The front and rear were balanced. It was a stock YJ.

My last XJ had some serious front articulation, but if I would have gotten the chance to roll it, it would have been totally unexpected.

Basically, a properly balaced suspension well give you a more predictable jeep.

Oh and just becaused you are balanced doesn't mean you dont have articulation. You just have to work with small things to find the medium. EX: bumpstops and limiting straps.

Matt

Ramsey said:
any pics, you do anything to your wheelwells.

A lot of trimming on the front, the rear could have used more but I was waiting to get the MIG before I cut to the point of welding in the rear. Going to be running TJ flares when I get it back on the road with the 38.5s.

DSC00108.JPG

wow looks nice, not much up travel though huh :laugh:

hey wayne ur xj lookc susopiously familiar to my new improved xj, rolled totaled but still running like a champ!
and whats even better, we cant put a damn thing on are roofs!

michslickrock4.jpg

my wifes xj, she's got the 4.5" superflex and it worked great with 31's. then we bumpstopped it and trimmed fenders, locked the rear and bolted on the generic 35's....did great at tellico...planning on putting a 1" spacer in the front and longer shackles in the rear to get it to about 5.5"...If I ever have to build another one it'll be 5.5-6" with 35's for sure....

so does she like it better now or before

yellowxj said:
michslickrock4.jpg

my wifes xj, she's got the 4.5" superflex and it worked great with 31's. then we bumpstopped it and trimmed fenders, locked the rear and bolted on the generic 35's....did great at tellico...planning on putting a 1" spacer in the front and longer shackles in the rear to get it to about 5.5"...If I ever have to build another one it'll be 5.5-6" with 35's for sure....

I have the RE 4.5 with 31s. They couldn't fit any better in the wheel-well. I had no idea 35s would fit with bumpstops and trimming, just 33s. My mind is pondering.... bumpstops, trimming, 35s on 15x8 Canyons....hmmmm....

evilpresence said:
I have the RE 4.5 with 31s. They couldn't fit any better in the wheel-well. I had no idea 35s would fit with bumpstops and trimming, just 33s. My mind is pondering.... bumpstops, trimming, 35s on 15x8 Canyons....hmmmm....

I wouldn't put 35's on stock canyons without some wheelspacers. The backspacing is really going to have the tires rubbing the crap out of your leaf springs and LCA's, as well as most everything else in the front wheel well when flexed and the wheel turned.

Anyways, Here are my writeups on trimming and bumpstopping:
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/fender_trimming.htm
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/Adjusting_Bumpstops.htm

And here's my RE 5.5" kit with 37's, trimming and proper bumpstops:

100_0045.jpg

100_0553.jpg

100_0554.jpg

Ramsey said:
wow looks nice, not much up travel though huh :laugh:

Where I spend 95% of my time wheeling, articulation is optional at best. I could still droop a fair amount, but massive uptravel I had no desire for.

GottaBeJeep said:
I wouldn't put 35's on stock canyons without some wheelspacers. The backspacing is really going to have the tires rubbing the crap out of your leaf springs and LCA's, as well as most everything else in the front wheel well when flexed and the wheel turned.

I got 2" wheelspacers.

Back