• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sleeper cars

One of the better sleeper cars of a generation or so ago was a VW bus. The trick was to take the guts from something like a Chevy pickup or a Malibu or the like, mount the engine and tranny midships, and the solid axle in place of the VW's transaxle, with a stubby driveshaft to run it all. Pretty much a drop-in drivetrain. I was told the rig would actually handle fairly well owing to the midships engine. Do it with a pop-top Campmobile and you have a real sleeper. The only hot rod on the block with running water and screens on the windows.

I like all the different ideas, but keep coming back to the turbo Volvos, and the Audis, either A4 or S4.

The SBC volvo is cool and all, but I prefer the Euro engine sound compared to the SBC sound...just not my thing.

Vids are freakin cool too.

SeanP said:
sleeper is the newer legacy GT wagons and the Outback wagons (i have one).

I'll second this. My mother's getting an Outback wagon with the flat-six, and that thing moves. Not as much in the way of performance options for the 6-cylinders as the 2.5 turbo (which is faster still), but the turbos have a wealth of upgrades for them. Handling's incredible.

the legacy GT sedan looks a lot like the last body style camry. Debadge it and most wouldn't know the difference.

Yup. And an Outback wagon in black is a total stealth car - cops just don't see it going 85mph-plus.

M3 or M5 BMW. I friend of mine has a couple year old M3 and it is probably the best driving car I have ever driven. Very fast and very smooth on the road. I was amazed that a car that handles that well and was that fast could ride so quiet and smooth on the interstate.

Glen

Last edited:
casm said:
If you want something really obscure but with the potential for going like the proverbial bat out of hell, I'd suggest the 1970's Mercury Capri.

The specs probably don't look all that interesting at first glance and I might be a bit biased seeing as how an '82 was my first car... But check out what Perana was doing with these things in South Africa. Total Q-car if you do it the right way.
1980s North American Capri RS (Mustang Fox chassis) is also "rare" and goes well. 351C is a no brainer. ;)

A friend had a `74 Capri (German Ford). 2.8 V6, 4 speed, Holley carb, Crane cam, Monza/Hooker headers and exhaust, etc. Car went like a bat out of hell and was a blast on the secondary roads.

CanMan said:
Lastly, some company makes V8 conversions for the AWD Astro vans. With a 4L80E, a TC from a Yukon Denali(for the AWD), and a independent 3/4 ton front(D60 gear set, IIRC), and narrowed Ford 9" rear, that thing would launch like no other.

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/AstroVan_V-8.html

Supposedly the AWD Astro and the B-body station Wagon Caprices, etc. share the same front sub frame.

I'd like to take a tape measure to both to see how likely a AWD 9C1 Caprice would be as a build idea. ;)

I dig the Volvo and Saab ideas, but I'd do things a little different.

A Briarwood or Wagoneer XJ with either a stroked 4.0l or V-8 swap, cop springs and Limited swaybars.

Anything K-Car with a strong 2.2/2.5 motor (I've even heard of 2.0/2.4 Neon/Cloud Car/minivan/PT head can fit with minimal work!)

F/S van with a large motor swapped in (stroked small block at the bare minimum, preferably an aluminum BB if available)

But these are just me:shrug:

My friend had a 98 Buick Regal GS, Supercharged 3.8 stock. That car got up and went for a leather sofa with 4 doors.

Or a Saab with the Vigen package.

But my next project after my 240sx is done... A midto late 90's Subaru Impreza wagon (the really ugly one) with an STI swap.

Yeah I was going to say the buick regal GS does 0-60 in 6.9 sec from the factory 3800 series II supercharged, it could easily be built up,

My mom drives an oldsmobile intrigue with the 3.5 twin cam V6

I've blown some ricers off with it and the tranny has 1/2/3/D positions so I drive it like a stick, its got a warr. until 100,000, at which point I warned my dad he better get rid of it

I like the Volvo wagons too, 850 R's are cool but there FWD, a 740 wagon would be a step between the 240 and 850 and its rear wheel drive

check out this http://turbobricks.com/

and that http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/

bjoehandley said:
Anything K-Car with a strong 2.2/2.5 motor (I've even heard of 2.0/2.4 Neon/Cloud Car/minivan/PT head can fit with minimal work!)

I read a web page recently about a 10-second K-car (with 2.2).

How about something like the twin-turbo 2.5l Dodge Caravan I recall from not too long ago?

Alternately - go hunt down an Omni GLH/GHLT, or if you can find one someone's willing to part with, one of the 500 '86 GLHS (S for Shelby) models. 0-60 in 6.5 sound good?

Of course, early-mid 80s may be older than you want to go...

Rob

I like the Subaru Legacy GT. I think they just came out with a limited edition Spec B version as well. Also the CHevy Malibu Maxx SS is pretty quick. Not quite what you're looking for, but I'd recommend a test drive in one, you can even get an optional rear seat DVD entertainment system.

Muddy89XJ said:
early 90's eclipse gsx's

AWD Turbo, get a boost controller and turn up the boost..
Anybody who's into racing should know dsm's can pack a punch. Sure they usually look like a piece of crap but the average car nut knows what up.

Fergie said:
Title pretty much says it. I'm wanting to build/buy a sleeper vehicle, and am wondering what others have had, or think of as sleepers.

I'm looking toward the higher end of the spectrum as far as quality goes(volvo, audi, bmw...), not some Aerostar with a V8 wedged in it.

Any ideas, or directions would be appreciated.

Fergie

PS- Tihs would be for longer road trips, weekend DD around town, and to have fun on the twistys.
Do you have a preference between a stick or automatic?

BTW, I was the one who posted the link to the Converse Volvo site.

Here's my last sleeper:

1148680363.jpg

380 RWHP in 2300 lbs. :D

-----Matt-----

IXNAYXJ said:
Do you have a preference between a stick or automatic?

BTW, I was the one who posted the link to the Converse Volvo site.

Here's my last sleeper:

1148680363.jpg

380 RWHP in 2300 lbs. :D

-----Matt-----

No preference really, looking for strength and reliability over stick or auto.

The Miata was nice, but looking for something that will haul 4 people comfortably.

Fergie

You know me Gavin, get the Audi. My dream sleeper, B5 Era '97-'02. Gets you the 2.7 L TT, stock is about 250hp. "By replacing the KKK K03 turbos with the slightly larger B5 RS4's K04 turbos, as well as other air/fuel delivery components, aftermarket and home tuners can easily increase power towards the 450 hp range using off-the shelf kits and parts."

Audi%20S4.jpg

Fergie said:
No preference really, looking for strength and reliability over stick or auto.

The Miata was nice, but looking for something that will haul 4 people comfortably.

Fergie
Here's my real suggestion:

'91-'93 BMW E34 M5. 3.6 liter I-6 putting out 310 hp and as reliable as a Jeep 4.0. Classic good looks, and de-badged is hard to tell apart from a regular 530i. Lots of aftermarket support, primarily through Dinan.

A friend of mine has one stroked to 3.8 and full Dinan Stage 3 suspension. Absolutely amazing car, and still running hard after 220k miles.

m5%20racing2.jpg

DSC_1374.JPG

A set of late model BMW wheels goes a long way to updating the look of the car. You can find nice examples for the mid-teens, and for that kind of money, I don't know how you can beat the speed, reliability and style. Go watch the last chase scene of Ronin and you'll be convinced. :D

-----Matt-----

A few years ago I almost bought another sleeper vehicle. It was a GMC, whatever the GMC version of the Astro was, too lazy to look it up. But this one had a 5-speed stick shift and a 4.2 engine, and it was frighteningly quick. Unfortunately the handling and just about everything else about it was terrible, but I was tempted, just for the "Q" factor. If I hadn't had to think about handling in snow, I'd have gone for it. The vehicle I ended up with instead was my first (87) XJ, though, so I'm not sorry.

Matthew Currie said:
A few years ago I almost bought another sleeper vehicle. It was a GMC, whatever the GMC version of the Astro was, too lazy to look it up. But this one had a 5-speed stick shift and a 4.2 engine, and it was frighteningly quick. Unfortunately the handling and just about everything else about it was terrible, but I was tempted, just for the "Q" factor. If I hadn't had to think about handling in snow, I'd have gone for it. The vehicle I ended up with instead was my first (87) XJ, though, so I'm not sorry.
GMC Safari, and it was likely a 4.3 liter. I had no idea they built a 5-speed version, though. :dunno:

-----Matt-----

Back