• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sleeper cars

Fergie

NAXJA Forum User
Title pretty much says it. I'm wanting to build/buy a sleeper vehicle, and am wondering what others have had, or think of as sleepers.

I'm looking toward the higher end of the spectrum as far as quality goes(volvo, audi, bmw...), not some Aerostar with a V8 wedged in it.

Any ideas, or directions would be appreciated.

Fergie

PS- Tihs would be for longer road trips, weekend DD around town, and to have fun on the twistys.

steelmen said:
what the hell is a sleeper?

something you can sleep in?

No...

it's the same thing as a Q-car.

I've seen a 500hp twin turbo Saab 900...

no badging...

no extra bodywork...

the only giveaway is the dissapearing tailights and a distinct whoooooooooooooooooosh sound...

i think the volvo 240 with a sbc in it is cool as hell thats what i would do
someone makes a bolt it motor mount crossmember and trans crossmember
and you can pick a 240 up cheap.. way cheap

justin

If you want something really obscure but with the potential for going like the proverbial bat out of hell, I'd suggest the 1970's Mercury Capri.

The specs probably don't look all that interesting at first glance and I might be a bit biased seeing as how an '82 was my first car... But check out what Perana was doing with these things in South Africa. Total Q-car if you do it the right way.

casm said:
If you want something really obscure but with the potential for going like the proverbial bat out of hell, I'd suggest the 1970's Mercury Capri.

The specs probably don't look all that interesting at first glance and I might be a bit biased seeing as how an '82 was my first car... But check out what Perana was doing with these things in South Africa. Total Q-car if you do it the right way.
Very cool...but I'd like something a bit more modern.

I do like the idea of the SBC 240, there was a link in another thread...

I plan to build a short bed, early 90's S10 for a sleeper in the future. Stock height, stock style wheels, stock paint, no frills interior. 406 SBC, Aluminum heads, Forged Eagle internals, SRP pistons, healthy cam, Holley 850, with a 200 shot of NOS, 4L80 auto, car 12 bolt rear. Now the trick is, use headers of course, but keep the exhaust very quiet, but still with good flowing mufflers for the street. Ill do electric exhaust cutouts, for suprises. :) No one would suspect unless they look it over real good.

Another one Ive always wanted to do is a Dodge Caravan, mid 80's, swap in a turbo'd 4G63 somehow, and smoke lots of people. Probably will never do it, but always thought it would be cool.

Lastly, some company makes V8 conversions for the AWD Astro vans. With a 4L80E, a TC from a Yukon Denali(for the AWD), and a independent 3/4 ton front(D60 gear set, IIRC), and narrowed Ford 9" rear, that thing would launch like no other.

But this would be my ultimate build. This 240 is freakin badass!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIL6C25Vfrc&mode=related&search=

Another vid of it VS. a R1.

http://www.tv.com/uservideos/?action=video_player&id=InU3kWD-5bgEvz7b

Last edited:
I have an A4 with the 2.8. I would love to do a pes-tuning supercharger. However if I was doing it over again I'd get the 1.8T and mod that. cheaper to get more HP. Take off all the badges and lower it 2". Or just get a S4. A friend of mine just sold his 2000 for $14,500. It was wicked fast and tons of aftermarket parts to make it faster.

2003 or newer Volvo S60R, thats where I would start. I have a S60 2.5T and love it, very comfortable and fun to drive with the autostick...an AWD, high turbo 300 HP, 4 door with a 6 speed manual would be a kick ass car to drive stock and a good place to start for more modifications if you wanted.

s60r04_4w.jpg

sleeper is the newer legacy GT wagons and the Outback wagons (i have one).

same long block as WRX STI. Many have broken into the 12's with about $3K of mods. Some are putting down 400WHP+. They are "holy crap" fast and AWD guarantees traction.

the legacy GT sedan looks a lot like the last body style camry. Debadge it and most wouldn't know the difference.

like that volvo too.

also, depending on your money, the E55 AMG benzo puts out 496 HP

To be a true sleeper, it has to look like anythig but fast. It's supposed to be a surprise. The first tip off is the tail lights disappearing into the distance.
I had a lot of fun with a Dodge shortbed truck in the early eighties here in Germany. Back in those days, the typical German pickup (kind of) was a four banger diesel with like 60-70 HP. If they ever mad eit to the fast lane the Mercedes drivers would harass them with blinking headlights and horns blaring.
My truck was painted the same color as the interstate service vehicles are here. Looked like a rest stop trash truck. The only real tipoff was the whistle from the blower and the wide tires. I could burn the Mercedes of that period by about 7-8 MPH top end and get there a whole lot faster.
I think the sleeper that impressed me the most was full size four door Chev. it was quiet, kind of a dark grey metallic, had slightly oversized Michelens on it and left me sitting at a stop light, without squeeling a tire or making any huffing and puffing noises and just disappeared into the distance. The part that impressed me the most was, I was sitting on a 120 horsepower motorcycle and was throttle down trying hard to keep the front tire on the ground at the time.
My favorite was an early sixties, Valiant station wagon, flat and peeling red paint, four door, with a built Hemi, load flite manual shift auto tranny and a 4.88 Dana rear (full floating axles :) ). A conservative estimate of 400 HP, which wasn't the whole story, the torque that sucker produced was awesome. The body would flex and the tail gate would pop open. 10.50/16 Town and Country snow treads, aired down to about 15 PSI (they actually lauched really well). The tires would regularly disintigrate, but they were a large part of the fun. Tire chunks pelting the poor sap behind me. Had a sign on the door (hand painted) that said "Need your pipes cleaned" call Chuck.
It has too look anything but quick, with a large surprise factor, to be any fun.

Any Volvo is good for making a sleeper out of it.

A K-car wagon (Dodge/plymouth Aries) is really good for a sleeper, nobody expects much from them. All you have to do is swap the stock cylinder head for a DOHC head from a neon and then add a turbo, and you'll have enough power to blow up the transmission a hundred times over.

Last edited:
Back