• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slave, Master or Clutch?

BlueMJ said:
I am taking them both (old & new) in whenever the snow breaks...I've been getting pounded here in Central NY and just couldn't get to NAPA today.

Was just wondering if anyone else ran into this problem...

edit: RATTLER......where dod you get your replacement MC?

Was it the same dimesions as the original? The NAPA Tru-Stop remmaned was bigger, longer cylinder & bigger bore.

I got mine at AutoZone. First one I installed turned out to be defective. Took it back and got another with no hassle. Still working good so far. They both fit perfectly with no problems hooking up. They may have given you wrong application on yours. Dunno. Like I said previously, if this one goes bad, I will probably go with the dealer M/C, as it would be more cost effective in the long run. I don't know how long the warranty is for the dealer M/C but it can't be any worse than the generic. Don

Also don't know why all the defects on the generic clutch master cylinders. I have installed generic brake master cylinders for years on mine and several other vehicles, and have almost never had any problems. Anyone know why the big difference?

Re-installed the old MC to check clutch pedal alignment then installed replacement MC from NAPA, same problem.....the clutch WILL NOT rebound to full extension, I have to pull the pedal up the rest of the way by hand. I also have a very small friction zone in the travel, not even enough to shift into a gear..it just grinds. My pedal linkage is not bent, so other than a bad slave cylinder I have no fawking clue.....

BlueMJ: When I installed the Autozone M/C on my 88 XJ, I had a leaking slave cylinder. (Didn't know it at the time) The M/C installed perfectly and pedal was where it was supposed to be. Just couldn't get any clutch because of leaking slave. Also M/C turned out to be defective, but still pedal was all the way up. Don't know what your problem could be, as this was my first experience with Jeep hydraulics. If you are sure that the application is right, I would take it back and try one from another source, if thats possible. Don't know what else to tell you. Rattler43

check the rod length.....

I got a replacement and the rod was diferent than the one i got. So I took the old rod and put it on the new master.

Ghost said:
I got a replacement and the rod was diferent than the one i got. So I took the old rod and put it on the new master.

The travel and rod length are identical...I'm looking past the MC now...to the slave although it's only 2 years old...and it's a LUCAS. I don't know what else to do. All the shops want almost $400 to replace the slave and I ain't payin those prices anymore for this truck. It's gonna get parked in the side yard until I either sell it or decide to fix it myself.....

Taking offers......seriously....I'm tired of messing around with it.

chassellbandit said:
i got mine from AZ and had no problems. but, i ahd the same sympotoms as u and it turned out to be the slave. not hard, but a pain dropping the tranny to do it. got that from www.rigidsteel.com good prices, supposedly OEM. g'luck

I've reached the point where I have to make the decision to stop throwing money away on it or, go full bore into the money pit and build the crap outta it. I really don't have that kind of disposable income right now. I really can't afford this anymore..it runs/drives good for 2 weeks, then I have to spend $100 to fix it so I can get another 2 weeks....repeat process....

Bandit: thanks for the tip, I'll keep that site bookmarked just in case I decide to do it myself.

believe me my friend, i know what u mean. when is start to think about the money i've thrown into this thing in the last year, jsut to keep it running, its scary. and i've lucked out on some of the items. liek the engine with 30k since a rebuild for 200. or the brakes with 50 miles on em for the rear for 50 bucks (including drums) slave, master for the clutch, fuel pump, dist. ,along with other random things, it adds up in a hurry. so keep the faith, sooner or later we'll ahve everything fixed.....

Last edited:
BlueMJ: FYI...I was at my local CarQuest yesterday and asked him about a Clutch Master Cylinder for my 88 XJ. He said they have new ones for approx. $100, tax included, and they have a lifetime warranty. Not that much more than what I paid at Autozone for one with a 90 day warranty. Don,t know if you have a CarQuest Auto Parts store in your area or not, but you could check out other stores and look for lifetime warranty. Don

rattler43 said:
BlueMJ: FYI...I was at my local CarQuest yesterday and asked him about a Clutch Master Cylinder for my 88 XJ. He said they have new ones for approx. $100, tax included, and they have a lifetime warranty. Not that much more than what I paid at Autozone for one with a 90 day warranty. Don,t know if you have a CarQuest Auto Parts store in your area or not, but you could check out other stores and look for lifetime warranty. Don

Thanks for the heads up...but I pretty sure I've pinpointed the problem onthe slave cylinder as BOTH brand new masters did the same thing. I'm going to install a Tru-Torque slave manuf. by FYE automotive. Their slave bodies are metal instead of the crap plastic most places use.

Back