• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Silvar stars and cool blue headlights

When you are figuring AMPERAGE capacity on wire, you have to de-rate it by ~25% (.707) for DC current. So if #12 wire is good for 20 AMPS AC and #10 wire is good for 30 AMPS AC, then you are looking at 15 AMPS DC and 22.5 AMPS DC respectively. Make sure you use a MULTI-STRANDED wire....not solid wire. Multi-strand has higher current capacity per given guage. :lecture:

BLUTO :)

Bright Lites

witt said:
question!!

how many watts can the IPF wiring harness handle?? can you put those 100/170 watt bulbs on there? or do u need something else? how about those wiring harnesses on ebay? how many watts can those handle?

A few weeks ago my '88 got the IPF treatment: Harness, lenses, and the 170/100 clear bulbs. (went from Hella E code with blah 60-55 DOT bulbs) Huge improvement! I said this 4 years ago when I first got E codes & 100/80 & built a harness. :wow:

Time will tell if my harness can hang with 170/100. (the 100 low isn't a worry) With how I use them - intermittent high at night- I expect it'll do fine.

witt said:
does anyone have any experience with those JDM MTEC buls that they sell on ebay? the claim 90/100 watts producing 170/(150/160).... is this too good to be true? or what? or are they just trying to sell bulbs? they too also have the yellow tinted bulbs for weather driving??
white bulb yellow bulb

I had the amber versions in a Toyota that I owned. The were bright to look at, but the light thrown on the road was much dimmer than I hoped. Might be better with an aftermarket lense to focus it better :guitar:

witt said:
question!!

how many watts can the IPF wiring harness handle?? can you put those 100/170 watt bulbs on there? or do u need something else? how about those wiring harnesses on ebay? how many watts can those handle?

easy enough to figure out. . .

(just on a beginning side nite the IPF harness comes with a 30 amp fuse...but that doesntnecessarily mean the 12 gauge wire that came with it is up to the task. . .lets see)

wire is rated by amperage

so first you see how many amps you will be drawing:
170watts X 2 headlights= 340watts/12volts=28.3amps

now figure about say, 10 feet of wire (to and from battery/lights/relays)

now check the wire table:TABLE CALLS FOR 10 GAUGE WIRE!!!

looks like the 12 is a little undersized for this application unfortunately

what if we figure on 14 volts though... then we might figure on about 24 amps...STILL TOO SMALL

i was honestly a little dissappointed in the ARB/IPF MOO2 harness. . .
i was hoping for 10 gauge wire in this thing. . .

for the price i certainly could have rigged a better one myself...

so, in answer to the question, i would say yes, you COULD run those bulbs, however, you will be losing a fair amout of juice in HEAT in the wire.....
this will result in dimmer lights, and you run the risk of (possibly, but not probably) cooking the wires
*that was sort of my disclaimer ;)

just my $.02

CaptTrev

For the money, you can't beat the Silverstars. I have em and I am happy with them.

:thumbup:

I put a set of silverstars on my girlfriends xj about 2 months ago, and it made a hell of a difference. Whenever she drives behind me at night it is bright as hell. For the money, its definately worth it.

Being one of the top technicians for the government agency I work for in the field of lighting for airfield operations and aviation, I am required to stay up to date on all advances in the lighting industry. Here is a thread that goes into a little detail about the new blue or high intensity lighting available today.
For all who are interested in the subject, Enjoy.
Mojave Desert XJ
http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/rec.autos.driving/messages/525825.html

Quote from another thread I posted on 11-28-03:

"Well, I'd be reinventing the wheel if I tried to conduct experiments... Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute's Lighting Research Center has done a bunch, and there are a pile of SAE papers written to show for it. Very good reading with lots of insight:

www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/transportation/index.asp

While these experiments don't offer a direct comparison between 'bulb A' and 'bulb B' they offer up some comparison between HID and halogen...using existing european spec (E code) lens designs"

I may be underwired (with the IPF M002 harness), but I love the output from the IPF 170/100 uncoated H4 bulbs. Life span is likely to be less than optimal, but that's TBD.

Last edited:
Back