• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shorty drop brackets or equivalent

BlurpleXJ

Blue. Purple. Blurple.
NAXJA Member
Disclaimer here fab guys, I'm not a fabber at all (though I'd like to learn) so this may be a silly question, but searching hasn't answered this for me.

BLUF: Any reason you couldn't fab up drop brackets that don't come down the full 4" most of the commercial ones do? Or failing that, slice off the old control arm mounts at the body and make up some new ones that come down 2 inches or so? Or is the difference so small as to make it wasted effort?

Background: My DD XJ has a 3 inch RC lift and 31s, and my jeep is up at Rock Solid while I'm deployed getting some work done. I'm probably moving up to DPG/OME 4" lift and 33s and staying there, and looking to improve control arm angles. But....I'm still pretty low and losing clearance to 4" drop brackets (as all the commercial ones seem to be) isn't appealing. I've already decided most of the longarm kits aren't a great fit for me because of the clearance lost. A custom 3-link midarm like Goatman's is out of my price range. I have one eye on the TNT longarm kit, but it seems like a small relocation of the control arm mounts would achieve the same thing with similar clearance AND I could reuse my JCR transfer case skid. I can't seem to find any reference to anyone who relocated their mounts without moving to a 3-link or a longarm? Am I missing something? Not worth the time?

Are you worried about control arm angles? You can easily just raise the axle side mounts and effectively lessen the angles. Simple and cheap.

You can certainly redo the lower control arm mounts, but it's not worth the time to do that and stay with a 4 link. I'd strongly consider going to a 3 link at that point since it's similar effort.

You're pretty much at a breaking point for stock mounts/arm geometry and mid/long arms.

First I think you're over thinking this. Where are you wheeling other than Uwharrie that makes you feel like long arms are going to make you lose too much clearance?

I ran drop brackets for a good while and never got hung up on them. That doesn't mean it's not possible but I wouldn't hesitate to run them again.

Honestly I think that lowering the OEM bracket is a waste of time. 4" of lift with short arms is doable. (Not ideal but doable.)

If I were you I'd wheel the short arms for now and be saving some cash to buy a decent long arm set-up. I run the RK 3 link. It's been good to me. It would also allow you to keep your JCR skid and whatever crossmember you have.

OR you can look up Brian at HDOR and get some of his new 3 link brackets, some tube, rod ends and put you a 3 link together for cheap. All you'd have to do is have him weld the brackets together and find someone to weld the bungs in the tube.

Tired of typing. Good luck.

For the work and material you would have in your own drop brackets just set up a three link. Rock solid like Rock Solid Fabrication in chatt? I probably saw it last time i was up there...

Ha yeah I am most definitely overthinking it. I have entirely too much time when I'm off shift to cruise the forums and agonize over tiny details. I guess this was the answer I should have expected. If it was worth it, somebody would have done it by now. I honestly don't have a particular trail or environment in mind in thinking I'll need the clearance. But, I'm trying to 'do it right' this time around when I dump the Rough Country stuff. I don't want to overlook something I would want a welder/fabricator for while the jeep is off DD duty.

Yep shortxjdoug its up with Tyler right now. We've talked about a custom 3-link but its more than I want to spend on something I'll never do super-hardcore crawling with. Again, it's the DD. I'll probably spring for drop brackets or the TnT y-link longarms and move on with it. Don't worry gents, not starting ANOTHER thread about that. hasta

I will throw my opinion in the hat. You will have way less money in a custom 3 link than a tnt kit and you will be 100000x more happy with the overall performance of a 3 link.

I have daily driven radius arm setups, daily driven 3 link setups, and wheeled the crap out of both. The 3 link is worth the extra effort.

Back