• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

short arm vrs.. long arm

Back to the point, I'm going to throw another recommendation in on drop brackets. Easy on the wallet, easy to install, and a *great* ride. Just make sure your control arms are 'strait' and not the J-bent.

cal said:
Back to the point, I'm going to throw another recommendation in on drop brackets. Easy on the wallet, easy to install, and a *great* ride. Just make sure your control arms are 'strait' and not the J-bent.

Although I'm at odds with most in the rest of this thread...I'll agree with this. :)

vetteboy said:
Although I'm at odds with most in the rest of this thread...I'll agree with this. :)

Not everyone can agree that the 30 is a gem, but I think if you were to spend 15 minutes looking through mine, you'd be ok hammering it on 35's. :/

vetteboy said:
No way in hell I could ever recommend with a clear conscience that anyone try bigger tires with that axle.
After two R&Ps and two shafts I dumped my D30. I was running 33x12.50 SSRs, btw. I'm not crazy on the throttle (aggressive yes, crazy no), but I don't like to have limitations on how I wheel. Never broke a rear shaft (27 spline 8.25 at the time I had my '30), but had nothing but problems with the D30.

-----Matt-----

Back to the subject at hand. I went from the RE 4.5 Short Arm to the 6" TnT Long Arm and what a difference. My ride is so much smoother now.

The Drop Brackets are a great option to save some $$$. You only need to worry about upgrading your axel if you plan on doing harder stuff then you described.

It all depends on your budget. From what I gather you will need to upgrade almost everything so if I were you I would suck it up and buy a complete kit.

Good Luck.....

alrighty then i think i will go with the drop bracket way... i don't need mad flex so a long arm is not need....some one said that i need straight arms not "J" bent arms... what is a good short arm kit for 5" to 6"...??? whos got what and what works a what doesn't... i only want to do this once bc shipping and dealing with the border fees and there crap suck.

mikereid350 said:
alrighty then i think i will go with the drop bracket way... i don't need mad flex so a long arm is not need....some one said that i need straight arms not "J" bent arms... what is a good short arm kit for 5" to 6"...??? whos got what and what works a what doesn't... i only want to do this once bc shipping and dealing with the border fees and there crap suck.

Hands down - Rubicon Express Superflex. They have the best short arm kit on the market.

IXNAYXJ said:
btw. I'm not crazy on the throttle
-----Matt-----

can I call bullshit on this?:D

IXNAYXJ said:
You've never seen me go balls out, so no you can't. :)

And things are a little different now with a HP D44 with alloy shafts and Superior joints. I feel a little more confident running the same size tires that I used to run on a D30. ;)

-----Matt-----

do the pictars count? and what about teh snow run?

mikereid350 said:

Agreed, Rubicon Express.

I run RE superflex adjustable uppers and RE superflex fixed lowers - so the lowers dont have threads to drag over rocks.

IXNAYXJ said:
Hell, snow runs are about finesse. :)

And no, pictures never do justice.

-----Matt-----

just becaus eI feel like being an ass. This looks like on it pretty hard

Naches7_26_07-128.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/Naches 7-26-07/Naches7_26_07-128.jpg

IXNAYXJ said:
Shit, that's nothing; that was only second gear! @ 5k :D

-----Matt-----

ficksted it for ya! :D

so what about the drop brackets....thats what i am prob gonna go with for my 5.5 mixed lift or going for adjustable uppers with fixed lowers for the same reason that other guy said...no threads to rip up on rocks.

where do 9 get em?

cipey

Snow is one place where you can hammer on it and expect little damage.
Another vote for RE drop brackets. I initially put them on temporarily, awaiting for some TnT long arms, but I have been impressed with the ride, flex and ground clearance that they will stay on until I get the time to drop in my mo better axles.

You can do whatever you want with a dana 30, but in the end and after repeated use it will break, no matter how much you polish it. Nothing lasts forever. Wheel it until it breaks.

Back