• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long arm DIY build questions

I thought the uppers are typically longer by a few inches? Maybe I'm misremembering. Not sure what stock separation axle side is.. I have aftermarket lower CA mounts, so sit a touch higher on the axle tube and the upper is the driver side, so the stock differential with the fancy IRO flex joint. Some trusses locate a new upper above the stock one, but I think I'd have clearance issues. All that to say, I'm a hair closer than stock since I couldn't raise the upper arm mount to match.

My body side mounts will be what ever dirtbound built into the crossmember lol

40"s will be more than enough... measure twice cut once eh? Lol

My mid arms are similar to yours only my upper is about 2"s longer than my lower. Think my lowers are just over 31" extended almost to the point of worry (hence this whole undertaking) after wanting my axle further forward than I had the arms for.

Last edited:
From middle of lower control arm bolt to middle of crossmeber is an even 40". I want front the front axle as far forward as I can.. and want to buy longer than I will use instead of wishing I had an inch after. Also want the Johnny joints as close to fully adjusted in as possible. I dislike the look of my 2"s of thread showing right now... the look of a guy who didn't measure twice lol

Looking im a short arm compared to 40 lol
216b2edad389a632f3db170dcfe24728.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Don't be silly. By definition you have mid arms and id say longer than most since they mount further back. You also mount higher on the axle side than most. I run more lift than you thats why the numbers are similar rn, but my mounting points is where I'll get closer to 40"s eye to eye. I want to get the axle as far forward as tolerable with clearances.
I'll bet my lower tube will be close to 36, a hair shorter maybe. I also want my joints to look like yours (nearly adjusted all the way in). Right now I have a few inches of thread showing on both ends, and don't like that.

Thays why i was curious what most long arm setups are length wise. Especially with 6ish"s of lift and 35s. For sake of hassle free I might by the DB upper arm.. once I source the material it'll be close to same cost wise. Just worry I'd wish I had an extra inch built in to the tube.

I've racked my brain and couldn't come up with any logical way to lengthen my arms and not look like ass and weaken them. I've loved the mid arms so far, but the Clayton's was just better. Longer will also mean a few degrees flatter at ride height which is desirable. The rockkrawler kit just leaves a lot to be desired. Namely the orientation of the hiem on the upper arm , instead of bolt going in horizontally it goes in vertically? We've discussed that. It just doesn't seem as efficient as far as flexing and deflection imo.

Did I mention how much I dig the dbo design? Beefy!

Oh and sob, upgrading the alternator is a massive headache without pulling battery tray and/ clutch fan. Grinding was cake compared to getting the bracket and bigger alternator back into place geez.

picture.php

picture.php

I was joking.

You can run your arms as long as you want or untill coil spring hits track bar..

Sleeving arms isnt a big seal. You can easily sleeve about anytube to lengthn it.

Just make sure to put a couple plug rosset welds to internaly tie the sleeve to the tube inside.

Many will say you shouldnt its a death trap ahhh whatever. Ive sleeved damn near every round tube on the thing right down to the drivelines

That is a badass looking crossmember.

Cant wait for your progress photo's

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Yaaa I debated a sleeve too.. but to add 4 inches seemed silly. I've wanted long arms like my zj, so decided to go this route instead. Luckily all the JJs are reusable, most expensive pieces when making arms.

Just need to figure out the upper arm. I've yet to source a fork that threads... so I can adjust it in place. Idk if such a part exists tbh. I can either cut my current mount off since the tube from rock crawler arm is soid, grind it down to insert in some dom drill holes for roset welds, start from scratch, or buy the arm from DB. Shrug idk. I won't be able to buy tube for a while so the drawing board is where I'm at for now

Last edited:
Oh! Clevis... ya THAT! GOOD FIND! Thanks bro!

Back