• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shocks

holeshot

NAXJA Forum User
Not much help with the search so here we go. Two part question.

Have a D30 front and D44 rear. The D44 has raised and clearenced shock mounts. I have some old crappy DT3000's on now. Random springs front and rear. I have access to a ramp and want to measure out my bumpstops and shocks for a perfect set up. I use this vehicle as a daily driver over pot hole roads. Also wheel hardcore rocks several times a year.

1) Is there any write-ups or info out there on how to measure correct shock length?

2) Opinions on the best shocks.

Rubicon Express Mono tube - Advantage over OME with Nitro steel piston rods.

OME - Advantage over most with the metal shield preventing piston rod damage.

Bilstein - Seems like a compromise between OME and RE.

Edelbrock - Seems like they should've stuck to race cars. But then again what do I know.

Others???

Last edited:
I'm partial to RS9000's on my DD. You really do notice a huge difference in the settings. I'm on my 3rd or 4th set, on 2 different vehicles. I've got no complaints at all. and I can't wait to get that in cab controler set up! No more crawling under the car to adjust things! As for measuring, flex it, and measure it for compression, as well as droop. Obviously disconnect your current shocks.
HTH.

holeshot said:
Bilstein - Seems like a compromise between OME and RE.

Someone lied to you. :) I've ridden OME, RE monotubes and bilstiens on the road and off in recent months, and bilstein 5100+ shocks are hands down the best thing out there.

Don't forget to disconnect the sway bars when measuring. Also...leave a little extra room for compression. The real world will compress a shock a little more than you can with a ramp. I would buy a shock with a compressed length about an inch less than you measure on the ramp. I did that with my 5150's for the front on my rig...jumped it hard (accidentally)...checked the dust ring around the shock, still had a half inch to spare...perfect.

holeshot said:
Not much help with the search so here we go. Two part

1) Is there any write-ups or info out there on how to measure correct shock length?

well since you've performed a search already... and you haven't been able to find results. the best way to measure you shocks is to go flex it out on a ramp or something and use a measuring tape. with no shocks on, measure from mount to mount, at full flex. then take that longest measurement and find some bilsteins that are close to that length.

as far as compressed length, just add bumpstops to arrive at your full "stuffed" length of the shock. Does that make sense? i haven't eaten in 7 hours!

cal said:
Someone lied to you. :) I've ridden OME, RE monotubes and bilstiens on the road and off in recent months, and bilstein 5100+ shocks are hands down the best thing out there.
I've heard that consistently, but have no experience with Bilstein's. I have a hard time walking away from the adjustability of the Rancho's.

RS9000 here too, for a little over four years; I like them. I have the adjustment knob turned to the tire side, easier to adjust and I don't rip the knobs off of the rears.

holeshot said:
Thats it huh? One person who likes Rancho's.
I chose Rancho 9000's over the Bilsteins. I am not running swaybars so I needed the adjustability. I was told that the Bilsteins are vavled to match the vehicle and all of the components that are part of the suspension. Without the sway bars I was told the Bilsteins would not work as well. I run my 9000's on the firmest setting, and you cannot tell that I do not have a front swaybar(never had a rear anyway)

I had a set of pro comps, and i found out they were too short, i broke the bar pin on the rear. I went to the ranchos and i am much happier, they have a better ride then the pro comps i had.

Big Kev said:
I had a set of pro comps, and i found out they were too short, i broke the bar pin on the rear. I went to the ranchos and i am much happier, they have a better ride then the pro comps i had.

i went from procomps (temporary fix) to rancho 9000's and loved them too, and then to bilsteins and will never go back.

I've been running the Doetch Tech 8000 series shocks and I like them. They eat up the bumps on the trail and have built in bumpstops at both ends too. I've found that with the 10 stage valving that this shock provides a good ride down the street/highway too. This will be my third year running them and if I ever do wear them out I'll be getting another set of DT8333's and DT8350's for my XJ with 7" of lift.:soapbox:

shimmy said:
well since you've performed a search already... and you haven't been able to find results. the best way to measure you shocks is to go flex it out on a ramp or something and use a measuring tape. with no shocks on, measure from mount to mount, at full flex. then take that longest measurement and find some bilsteins that are close to that length.

as far as compressed length, just add bumpstops to arrive at your full "stuffed" length of the shock. Does that make sense? i haven't eaten in 7 hours!
So just to get this straight - if i drive up the ramp with my left tire until it stuffs, I am mainly concerened about the length of the shock on the right side?
And is it safe to drive about 10 miles on freeway with no shocks on the vehicle?

holeshot said:
So just to get this straight - if i drive up the ramp with my left tire until it stuffs, I am mainly concerened about the length of the shock on the right side?
And is it safe to drive about 10 miles on freeway with no shocks on the vehicle?
Actually, you need to be concerned about both sides. You want to measure the left/stuffed tire length, so you dont buy a shock that is too long and end up using it as a bumpstop. You also need to measure the right/fully extened side, because you dont want to get a shock that is too short. If it is too short two things will happen, first it will limit your flex and second you dont want you shock to act as a limiting strap. Lastly, you will also need to do the same thing in the rear, since you have raised shock mounts the lenght in the rear will be different from the lenght in the front.
To answer your second question. I dont see any probelm with running no shocks for a short distance. It will just be a bouncy ride.
HTH

joecool said:
Actually, you need to be concerned about both sides. You want to measure the left/stuffed tire length, so you dont buy a shock that is too long and end up using it as a bumpstop. You also need to measure the right/fully extened side, because you dont want to get a shock that is too short. If it is too short two things will happen, first it will limit your flex and second you dont want you shock to act as a limiting strap. Lastly, you will also need to do the same thing in the rear, since you have raised shock mounts the lenght in the rear will be different from the lenght in the front.
To answer your second question. I dont see any probelm with running no shocks for a short distance. It will just be a bouncy ride.
HTH

i use my shocks as a limiting strap. alot of guys do... with any longer shocks, alot of guys coils would fall out when they droop. ;)

shimmy said:
those are the older models... they are 5100's now
Well does that mean that I cant choose the lengths and valving? The bilstein website shows the 5100's for certain lift heights 4" being the maximum. It shows the 5125's as the custom application.

Back