• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shocks

Nothing compares to Bilsteins. Those who have not tried them don't know what they are missing. Rancho, RE and all the others are probably great compared to what ever you are used to but put the Bilsteins on and there is NO turning back. I am now looking to get them on ALL of my vehicles!

cracker said:
Nothing compares to Bilsteins. Those who have not tried them don't know what they are missing. Rancho, RE and all the others are probably great compared to what ever you are used to but put the Bilsteins on and there is NO turning back. I am now looking to get them on ALL of my vehicles!
as a Rancho guy, this is the exact impression I'm getting. Is there someplace that has the exact valving of both Bilstein and RS9000's on the different settings? I'd be very interested in comparing, before investing in another set of shocks.

ChuckstrPT said:
as a Rancho guy, this is the exact impression I'm getting. Is there someplace that has the exact valving of both Bilstein and RS9000's on the different settings? I'd be very interested in comparing, before investing in another set of shocks.

255/70 valving seems to be sweet on the Bilsteins. You go there, your never coming back!

yea, i'd be interested to hear from someone who has just switched from rancho 9000 to the Bils and could compare the rates... like is a 255/70 about equal to a 2, or a 7 on the 9000s?

jjvande said:
yea, i'd be interested to hear from someone who has just switched from rancho 9000 to the Bils and could compare the rates... like is a 255/70 about equal to a 2, or a 7 on the 9000s?

I tried all the settings.

The Rancho's either overdo it in compression, or in rebound. I never found anything comparable to 255/70.

I had to throw the Rancho's back on for 2 trips after breaking/bending a set of 5150's. It was horrible.

The 5150's seem to float at high speed accross the desert in a full body rig, have great roll control in deep rocks, and have the best ride I've felt on the street. And keep in mind that even 255/70 is a compromise for all around performance paired with most spring rates in my opinion.

I don't know about other areas, but in the west, if you have not run a set of 5150's or matched up a set of 7100's to your spring rates, you have no idea of how much better your set up could be.

I'm running Fox 2.5 airshocks on the truck. Talk about the suck right now. It'll be months before I get anywhere close to the Bilstiens in the across the desert application, if ever.

--ron

I had a set of Bilsteins 7100's on my Ram and they were the best mod I ever made to the truck. They rode smooth on street performed great on dusty roads, on sand they were great and on rocks. I loved them.
Here's my question (sorry to hijack the thread) I want to buy a set of 5150's for my XJ with 6" of lift. I'm wondering if the valving for this shocks (255/70) would work well in the XJ. I had that valving in my Ram, but the truck is a lot heavier than the XJ, my concern is that the XJ could get very stiff with that setup. What do you "Bilstein Guys" think about that valving? Should I get it or get 170/60. Also I'm thinking of 12" travel, but I'm not sure if I should get 12" or 14".... Please give me advise.
Where can I find an adapter to install eye to eye shocks in the XJ?

Desicions desicions.........

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
HotChiliRam said:
I had a set of Bilsteins 7100's on my Ram and they were the best mod I ever made to the truck. They rode smooth on street performed great on dusty roads, on sand they were great and on rocks. I loved them.
Here's my question (sorry to hijack the thread) I want to buy a set of 5150's for my XJ with 6" of lift. I'm wondering if the valving for this shocks (255/70) would work well in the XJ. I had that valving in my Ram, but the truck is a lot heavier than the XJ, my concern is that the XJ could get very stiff with that setup. What do you "Bilstein Guys" think about that valving? Should I get it or get 170/60. Also I'm thinking of 12" travel, but I'm not sure if I should get 12" or 14".... Please give me advise.
Where can I find an adapter to install eye to eye shocks in the XJ?

Desicions desicions.........

Thanks in advance

255/70 will be fine for the XJ. I run 12" in the front ans 10" in the back. Good luck

well, i guess im goin to have to order mine right now. question, with the 7100s, do they take regular maintenance, or can you ignore them once they're on. I wouldnt mind having to do something once a year, but not three or four times a year.

I'm thinking 5150s for the front to retain the factory upper mount for max travel, how do they compare to the 7100s?

My personal experience with the 7100's was install them and kick the hell out of them....... Never ever had a single problem.. Zero maintinence (sp?) The only thing I did was recharge them because I was acting silly and uncharge one. So I had to recharge all four to have them even. The 7100's was the best shocks I've ever own. I don't have a clue about 5150's. But they shouldn't be any worst than 7100's (I guess)

Back