• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shocks 33 inch tires

I believe we are on the same page...
To bump stop a little rig you pretty much need your tires installed... My shocks would compress more, but, I've bumpstoped to keep the tire off the wheel well.
Unseating the spring, I hear you... I don't know why, but my coils do not unseat... ?
Math says they should fall out, but they do not even unseat, they just stretch out, and, I don't even run clips...
To get my OME coils in place, I have to unbolt my shocks, and lift the axle on one end to the moon to droop the other side enough to get the coil in... and even then it's a very tight fit.
Your point is a very good one... a typical 2"-3" coil should be very unseated, or even falling out with the 26.7" length shock.

I believe we are on the same page...
To bump stop a little rig you pretty much need your tires installed... My shocks would compress more, but, I've bumpstoped to keep the tire off the wheel well.
Unseating the spring, I hear you... I don't know why, but my coils do not unseat... ?
Math says they should fall out, but they do not even unseat, they just stretch out, and, I don't even run clips...
To get my OME coils in place, I have to unbolt my shocks, and lift the axle on one end to the moon to droop the other side enough to get the coil in... and even then it's a very tight fit.
Your point is a very good one... a typical 2"-3" coil should be very unseated, or even falling out with the 26.7" length shock.
:cheers: There not unseating because of the tall tires, when one side is drooping the other is stuffed and won't allow anymore droop lol. which is why the longer shock is not needed. i am running 30's for tires,and unseating coil about 1/2". now imagine when i go to 32's, if bumstopped properly, i shouldn't unseat coils.nice LCG rig you have by the way!!

It is very possible to run 33s on a small lift if you plan it out and trim, heavily. Low riding mall-crawler it will not be. Low-riding yes, mall-crawler no.
Ritter, do you have a reason for wanting to limit up travel? I mean wanting to keep the rig low makes sense but just wanting to limit uptravel doesn't seem make as much...
My rig is at 5.5ish" with 33s and very trimmed fenders. However I also plan on going to bigger tires in the future once I go to a bigger front axle...:)

It is very possible to run 33s on a small lift if you plan it out and trim, heavily. Low riding mall-crawler it will not be. Low-riding yes, mall-crawler no.
Ritter, do you have a reason for wanting to limit up travel? I mean wanting to keep the rig low makes sense but just wanting to limit uptravel doesn't seem make as much...
My rig is at 5.5ish" with 33s and very trimmed fenders. However I also plan on going to bigger tires in the future once I go to a bigger front axle...:)
Justin you have to limit the uptravel. if you dont bad things will happen on that low of a lift and 33's lol.crushed fenders come to mind lol!

Ritter,

I'm basically in the same boat as you in terms of money and the need to still have a daily driver.. im running 2" of lift with fender cutting and 32x11.50s on my most recent xj. As for a cheap set of 32s... I bought my complete set of ProComp MudTerrains 32x11.50 mounted and balanced on ProComp 15x8s (IIRC) and shipped to my door for less than $800. I did that when they had those deals running such as buy 3 get one free & free mounting and balancing etc. There may be better deals than that out there.
Just wanted to let you know of one such option for 32s

Justin you have to limit the uptravel. if you dont bad things will happen on that low of a lift and 33's lol.crushed fenders come to mind lol!

not to mention slices out of your tires from hitting the wheel wells when your tires find an unfriendly pothole or bump in the road (believe me ive been there :twak:)

I have 4.5" lift and could easily clear 35's...running 33's right now and I'll tell you GEAR IT!! With my 3.07's, its pretty bad..

Thank you everybody.

I have an AX-15 so I know the 3.07s will suck. So I plan on getting a C8.25 from the JY and a non-disco front d30 to replace my d35 and disco d30. Before I install them I want to regear to 4.56 or 4.88.

im running 33" on a 3" lift, got lot of trimming, i got 2 hockey pucks per side up frt for bumpstop extentions, for shocks im running RE twin tubes for 2" lift, and i use up all 10" of travel, for rear shocks im running monroe matics for a comanchee

Some good info has been passed on here, as well as some not so good. I've had 4 RS9000's that were "for a 3 inch lift" on my 3 inch lift, and they were WAY too short.
You do need to disconnect your current shocks/swaybar, and measure, fully compressed, and fully extended. I wound up with some very long RS9000's that I actually set up for 4 inches of lift, thinking I'd move up some day. WITH JKS LCA's, and Skyjacker 3 inch springs (bought used) it flexed very well. Had 32's at the time of the pic. It was bump stopped to fit 33's with extended bump stops and 1 hockey puck per side. The springs did unseat with full droopage....
FallforAll06007.jpg

FallforAll06014.jpg

This was my daily driver for years, and drove/rode very well. I picked the kids up in it, as well as drove it for hours at a time. That is until it got squished by a tree....
XJvsTree022.jpg

XJvsTree033.jpg

XJvsTree034.jpg

I'm definately a fan of low lift and larger tires. 3 inches isn't huge, and you can work 33's in there with not too much trouble. Trimming is obvious. Bump stopping may not be. The flexible LCA's will allow it to work better. Gearing is good, but not urgent. My 32's were livable, but produced 12-14mpg with my Right foot....:sunshine:

I have about a 2 1/2" lift and I added 31" tires today. I thought I would have plenty of room but I had to trim both sides of the front flares and the back side of the rear flare. The tires are still hitting too.
If you are looking for the ground clearance of 33's on a small lift, maybe get the 33x9.50x15 or 33x10.50x15?

Thanks, and sorry about you XJ. I currently have no sway bars because the PO didn't think they were needed I guess.

:cheers: There not unseating because of the tall tires, when one side is drooping the other is stuffed and won't allow anymore droop lol. which is why the longer shock is not needed. i am running 30's for tires,and unseating coil about 1/2". now imagine when i go to 32's, if bumstopped properly, i shouldn't unseat coils.nice LCG rig you have by the way!!
Thanks for the compliment.
It droops pretty decent... all four are still on the ground here, and it'll droop further... but no pic's... :)
http://members.cox.net/huddy31/045.jpg

Some good info has been passed on here, as well as some not so good. I've had 4 RS9000's that were "for a 3 inch lift" on my 3 inch lift, and they were WAY too short.
You do need to disconnect your current shocks/swaybar, and measure, fully compressed, and fully extended. I wound up with some very long RS9000's that I actually set up for 4 inches of lift, thinking I'd move up some day. WITH JKS LCA's, and Skyjacker 3 inch springs (bought used) it flexed very well. Had 32's at the time of the pic. It was bump stopped to fit 33's with extended bump stops and 1 hockey puck per side. The springs did unseat with full droopage....
FallforAll06007.jpg

FallforAll06014.jpg

This was my daily driver for years, and drove/rode very well. I picked the kids up in it, as well as drove it for hours at a time. That is until it got squished by a tree....
XJvsTree022.jpg

XJvsTree033.jpg

XJvsTree034.jpg

I'm definately a fan of low lift and larger tires. 3 inches isn't huge, and you can work 33's in there with not too much trouble. Trimming is obvious. Bump stopping may not be. The flexible LCA's will allow it to work better. Gearing is good, but not urgent. My 32's were livable, but produced 12-14mpg with my Right foot....:sunshine:
oh my god :scared: :bawl::bawl:

that poor jeep! it was so beautiful!

that poor jeep! it was so beautiful!
Thanks. I'm not sure how beautiful it was. But I've come to appreciate how thoughtfully it was built and well kept after having shopped around, looking at other people's built rigs to replace it with.......:eek:

i don't think it was brought up but. you are also going to want to look in to doing limiting straps with this set up so you don't drop a coil when drooping. a 3 inch lift coil will not be long enough to stay seated or even on the coil guide when flexing. after setting up shock lenght look into limiting straps they save your shocks as well

Back