• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

School me

JWhisenant

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, another Newbie here looking for some information. My son is looking for an XJ I own a 98 TJ and have a fair amount of experience with it but I know very little about the XJs So I was wondering what were some of the issues with different years that I should be aware of and is there any year and model that are better than the others? He will be using it for mostly dirt trails and to and from work with the park service. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Oh and we are from SC

Do you have a specific year range he's looking for?

There are what I call 4 generations:

1) 1984-1986 - least desirable
2) 1987-1990 - Renix. Personally my favorite. AMC ownership
3) 1991-1996 - HO (High Output) Chrysler ownership
4) 1997-2001 - Newer "round body". Many like these the best.

Each group has their own benefits and quirks.

I highly recommend buying this book by Eric Zappe: Jeep Cherokee Performance Upgrades 1984-2001. This book was formerly known as the XJ Builders Guide. The new revised edition contains the original content plus some new additions. I used this book when I became interested in XJ's and it helped me sort a lot of stuff out. Amazon stocks all of them. I just got my revised copy to go with the original.

Eric also wrote another book: Jeep Cherokee Advanced Performance Modifications 1984-2001. This book goes to the next level covering stroker engines, custom suspension, axle swaps, etc. Also well worth the money.

Let us know what year and we can help from there.

OBDII starts in 96 but it's not guaranteed you'll get a properly working OBDII in 96. Go with 97 or higher if you don't want to do old fashioned mechanicing. Some folks hate coils on their plugs and that started in 2000, right? Same time they started going low pinion D30's.

If you have a 98TJ with the 4.0, I'd do a 97+ for the XJ and not look back.

I have a '98 XJ Limited. Had it since it had 30 k on the odometer...now...over 200 K. No major breaks or problems. Small rear engine seal leak (fixed), small header crack (not repaired), harmonic balancer (fixed). Anything else was normal wear and tear.

I'm in SC too. Welcome aboard! I prefer the 91 - 95 my self. I just got rid of a 98. I would avoid 00 - 01 because of the head issues on all 4.0's of those years. Actually because of the low pinion I'd avoid 99 too. I actually have family in Aiken and go down there all the time. If you have a TJ the only major differences IMHO are the fact that the xj is a uni-body verses a frame on body and wheel base. The 98 will have a 3 speed auto and the 98 xj will be the bulletproof aw-4 4 speed. 98 xj and tj had the same manual and the same transfer case. HTH!

Through 1999 they had high pinion but like Ghost said, I'd avoid the 00-01 models because of the head issue.

I like my DD (daily driver) 1994 a lot of loved my DD 1988 Renix until I turned it into my wheeling truck. While fun to drive it doesn't get driven very often.

Thanks for the replies, yeah I have sort of decided on a 97 to 2001 and I did do some reading about the heads on the 00 and 01s so I am trying to stay away from those but I thought the 99 had the high pinion also maybe not. And Ghost I was in the group at Broken Nut last weekend I was the guy that drove your rig to pull your tow rig out of the parking lot. As far as the low pinion goes my son will not be too concerned about it. We just need something that is supper dependable he’s in ID now and the Subaru he has just won’t cut it. If any of you hear about something please give me a shout and keep the information coming.

Everyone reads too damn much into the bad head problem on the 00-01 models. If you have mileage up over the 100,000 mark and it hasn't busted yet, it likely won't...unless you maintain it like crap. I've driven my '01 for almost 8 years (154xxx on it now) without a worry.

Don't count them out just "because"....

Thanks for the replies, yeah I have sort of decided on a 97 to 2001 and I did do some reading about the heads on the 00 and 01s so I am trying to stay away from those but I thought the 99 had the high pinion also maybe not. And Ghost I was in the group at Broken Nut last weekend I was the guy that drove your rig to pull your tow rig out of the parking lot. As far as the low pinion goes my son will not be too concerned about it. We just need something that is supper dependable he’s in ID now and the Subaru he has just won’t cut it. If any of you hear about something please give me a shout and keep the information coming.

AH! I appreciate that help. Actually a friend here in Hartsville has two for sale. He just texted me this week about them. Might not be what you are after but I know him and trust him to shoot straight. If I had the money I'd probably buy them.

https://nc4x4.com/forum/threads/2-1995-jeep-xj-4-door.177983/

Ok, I found a 01 for $4950 with 129K all the pics look good. Would I be crazy to think about putting a new head on it and calling it a day or is that too much $ to invest in one. If I leave the head on it and it craps out on my son in ID. he’s up a creek with no place to poop. Where would be a good place to price a new head if I were to go this route? Thoughts, comments let me know I’m a big boy I can take it.

I paid just under that for my 01 with 127,000 on it 8 years ago. Again with the head. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Thanks Ghost for the lnfo. but I am looking for a DD my boy who is in ID. and has no tools or place to do any sort of repair work. But keep your eye out for me.

For that head to be a problem, he also has to overheat it. Where in ID will he be. There are a ton of folks there who would be willing to help if that time came too. Wheeling is a pretty big thing out west and you can throw a stick from anywhere and likely hit a shop that will know it's way around the XJ motor.

I paid just under that for my 01 with 127,000 on it 8 years ago. Again with the head. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Dirk has a point. But if I were to replace a head or should I say when I can I will go with these: All the way at the bottom....

https://www.cleggengine.com/stroker-kits/jeep-4-0-stroker-kits.html

Apparently we are posting across from each other. Yes I see that now.. I did not get the Idaho thing..... Dyslexia never fails to confuse me.....

Last edited:
He is in Haggerman ID. he is with the National Park Service he is 27 and just out of grad school not a lot of $ and when it comes to cars and trucks he has a very basic skill set.

He is in Haggerman ID. he is with the National Park Service he is 27 and just out of grad school not a lot of $ and when it comes to cars and trucks he has a very basic skill set.

If you get him an XJ get him to sign up here. IDK if there are members in his area but that is the IC chapter I believe. Once he gets it if he has any issues the guys on here are amazing at helping from behind a computer.

If you get him an XJ get him to sign up here. IDK if there are members in his area but that is the IC chapter I believe. Once he gets it if he has any issues the guys on here are amazing at helping from behind a computer.

I'm sure he will sign up, one thing he does know is his way around a computer.

Back