• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

San Diego to Moab Caravan thread

Since that is the more direct route back, I figured I would hit lv on the way back.
My 500 mile AAA tow should get me there from moab

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone is leaving as early as we are. But heading to vegas on Thursday . leaving vegas sat for moab.

Since that is the more direct route back, I figured I would hit lv on the way back.
My 500 mile AAA tow should get me there from moab

500?

I thought I was capped out with AAA Premier and one 200 mile tow a year.

Do tell.

One 200 mile tow, and up to 100 driving miles free for your remaining three calls.
Is that three at 100 miles? Or 100 miles between the three?

I haven't parsed the system down to that level.

I've cashed in one 200 mile tow, Shelbyville, KY to Charloston, WV. If I recall I paid $17 for that tow because it was a little over 200 miles.

My reservations were made months ago. So I registered for the official dates.
Looking at the calendar now, it only makes sense to leave sat morning.
Figured I might as well see some stuff along the way.
It was suggested to me by a local jeeper to take the southern route. Without the grand canyon detour, it's marginally longer than the Vegas route.
From the grand canyon to Moab is listed at just under four hours. Seems like an easy day for the second leg.

I figured it best to save the shorter route for the return trip, where damage and fatigue are much more likely.

Thoughts?

For AAA, you get 3 free tows. With premier first is up to 200mi, next 2 are 100 each.

For AAA, you get 3 free tows. With premier first is up to 200mi, next 2 are 100 each.

Thanks, I was not aware of that.

What's the rundown of Plus? I know basic is 7 miles each.

oh and it applies to family members as well, we had a guy get his car towed to my friend's shop last year for tuning and then tried to have it towed home and they wouldn't do it. He even had his dad call and they refused to do it, so I had to use my AAA to get his car towed home.

My reservations were made months ago. So I registered for the official dates.
Looking at the calendar now, it only makes sense to leave sat morning.

Were the dates changed or something?

I don't think I can leave until Sat afternoon.

There are 2 routes from my house to Flagstaff that are basically the same distance: 40 East out of Barstow, or 17 North out of Phoenix. We're gonna be towing, and not really sight seeing during that leg... just tying to make miles.

I haven't driven either route. Is there any reason to pick one over the other? Looks like 17 may be a bit windy in the mountains? Any advice is appreciated.

Sean...

We'll be travelling north out of Flagstaff on Sunday morning. We plan to spend Sunday exploring Navajo country, and then pull into Moab sometime late Monday morning.

Let me know if you want to meet up Sunday. Looks like you'll be driving through the same area that day.

Back