• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's XJ Lift

I'm running the Rusty's 3 inch. I think it's a good value for the money, the back came out more like 4.5, I added an 1.5 spacerto the front to level it. Later I'll get boomerang shackles and some longer springs and go up further for not much cash. My only bitch is that I went with 3 inch to avoid vibes, so it wouldn't have hurt my feelings to have only got 3. I do have some vibes but they aren't too bad, yet anyway. I need to hurry up and re-do the driveshaft before it causes problems.

I also got the trackbar and it was a waste of money, too long and won't adjust short enough to move axle over. I got the bushing end and heavyduty mount used from a friend, once I add it it should work ok.

I'd throw in a pic or two but it seems I don't have the option.

you can see it here tho: http://www.ilovejeeps.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16950

Last edited:
Yo...if you want an idea of how it sits...this is my jeep with rusty's 4.5 packs...trimmed fenders and 33x12.5 bfgs...POSER SHOT....

DSCN0013.jpg

codeman8118 said:
Yo...if you want an idea of how it sits...this is my jeep with rusty's 4.5 packs...trimmed fenders and 33x12.5 bfgs...POSER SHOT....

DSCN0013.jpg

That 4.5 kit sure looks good on an XJ! I think that is what I will go with. Thanks for all the replys.

This isn't quite the 4.5 "kit", but the 3" kit w/stock rear shackle and 1.5" spacers up front. Looks to sit about the same as that other one...just another perspective. My most recent poser shot.

trxus1.jpg

vetteboy said:
This isn't quite the 4.5 "kit", but the 3" kit w/stock rear shackle and 1.5" spacers up front. Looks to sit about the same as that other one...just another perspective. My most recent poser shot.

trxus1.jpg
What size tires are those in the pic?

I have rustys 3" full packs which after settling got me 4" and I tossed a 1.5" shackle, then just got a 3.5" ZJ Coil to get me around 5.5-6"

after.jpg

With 34" trxus MTs

Lighterknot said:
are you also using the side molding off of a grand or is that how the "classic" comes? If it is from a grand, what is the benefit of running it?
Actually it looks like a pre 97 with the 'classic' stickers on it and repainted. I must say it looks real nice too.

I bought my 2000 xj in october, bought a 3" rustys lift in november put it on in December, and I am wishing I had gone bigger in January. So my advice is to get a bigger lift if you have the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I got the heavy duty springs in the rear. As far as the grand classic question I think it was to me since I have the classic sticker. But the molding is all factory, I havent touched the exterior except the gilla guards in the rear, and its the factory color as well.

I say save your $$ and go bigger, I regret not doing so, and I regret buying Nth* UCAs too, but thats another story.

Big is good...inchitis

I really loved my first XJ on 3" lift and 31" BF MT's. It had a stick and 4.10's. it got 20+ mpg on the highway. One time it got 24 mpg! You may want to decide how important mileage is to you. It sounds like you'll be on the road a lot.

My opinion worth .02 maybe.

passxj said:
Big is good...inchitis

I really loved my first XJ on 3" lift and 31" BF MT's. It had a stick and 4.10's. it got 20+ mpg on the highway. One time it got 24 mpg! You may want to decide how important mileage is to you. It sounds like you'll be on the road a lot.

My opinion worth .02 maybe.

what rear axles were the 410s in? i have a d35 with 410s but im afraid of breaking stuff so i leave my 307 chry8.25 on. maybe ill swap em

They were axles out of a '85 4 cyl. The wrecking yard swapped them for my 3.07's for $300. I just swapped out the whole assemblies. It was a D 35 and a d 30 disco

I put them in an '88.

No, I didn't break anything. I'm not heavy on the pedal though. What year is your XJ? I'm not sure what you would do if it's going into a non disco jeep.

This belongs in another thread. Way off topic.

jayuu said:
for those that got about 4-4.5 out of the rustys 3inch full pack in the rear, are you using the regular spring rate or the extra heavy duty one?

Mine, the teal one in the pics on the previous page, was just the regular 3" kit. It's still sitting like that after 2.5 years of both heavy on- and off-road use.

As far as gas mileage goes, I was getting 16-17mpg or so. Mine is a 5-speed with 3.55 axles under it (swapped in a D44/D30 from an '87) and I'd almost exclusively keep it in 4th gear. I was probably running around 2700 RPM highway @ 75mph with the 33's, in 4th gear. 5th gear got me around 13mpg.

For whatever reason, the speedometer with stock tires and 3.07s compared to the 33s and 3.55s was dead on. Less then 2mph off at 70 mph actual.

I'll tell ya, I love the rig like that. I drove it about 80 miles per day and wheeled the crap out of it on hard rocks at least once or twice a month, driving ~200 miles to the ORV park each way, and it just kept asking for more. I'd very much so recommend that amount of buildup for anyone lookin to get into hardcore wheelin.

Ive got the 3" full pack kit.....been great. Just checked it and it is 3" up front, and has settled to ~4" in the rear, and has held its hieght for over a year. A spacer up 1" front and it sits about .25-.5 high in the rear (measured at the rockers).

I added LCA's, discos, and relocated the trackbar for now. Rides good, flexes good (733 rti), and handles well. Im running 31" mtx's with just a slight trim of the front bumper end cap.

I measured my angles and got lucky, I only needed a t-case drop. Little to no vibes. A H&T SYE is in the future though...

I am happy with this kit. Sure, I would love 33's, long arm, and coil overs.... but this is what I can afford and what I had in mind originally. Maybe down the road I'll regear and run 33's, but for now I'm pleased.

Back