• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's vs. Rubicon Express

i had no problems with them. i ordered my coils got them within 3-4 days and my longarm kit came in a week. but i heard the same in the past, but i took a chance.

Go with the R.E. stuff. I have been pounding on the Rubicon Express stuff for over 8 years & counting & have nothing bad to say about the kit's. I have a friend here in Alaska that placed a order for the rustys Kit over 9 weeks ago & still has no kit in his hands. Not good when time is hard to come by with a short GOOD WEATHER season. I just set up the R.E. LA Kit on my 01 XJ & like the way things look like they will hold up to my driving style. I have seen the FullTraction Kit first hand & would never drop a dime on that kit for a XJ! IMO, they just LOOK good but still fall short on BEEF!

Go with the RE.. I picked up my 3.5 for under $600 with full rear spring packs minus shock.. another $160 for shocks with free shipping.. theres a few vendors on the site to get price quotes from..I'm leaving my stock 3.55 gears in with 31 tires until its no longer my daily driver and I have more money to regear and 33's

My buddy got Rusty's 3" (heavier load springs) on his 99 XJ
2* degree shims and T-case drop
I have also heard a YJ slip yoke can also help The gurus would know more about this.
He likes it. Its nice and stiff ride (he use to drive a civic)
The stuff looked good he had issues getting it to his house this is why I will not buy from Rusty.

I got another buddy that Loves Rusty and has a monster XJ that will give Rustys' rig a run for its money. He swears by Rusty

Me I would have gone with R.E. I have seen their stuff and delt with the people. I like getting answers and results quickly.
I was going to do R.E. 4.5" springs with RK long arm
But heading a different way trying something new
I will be posting once the build is on its way. All I will say is AIR ROCK. :)
If you have the time you can find deals on used parts that are in good shape.

thats my opinion

why is the yj slip yoke bad info??

its at least an inch longer and comes from the same transfer case. many people have installed these for some added slip

maybe ive been reading all wrong...

affordability but customer service frustration = Rusty's

I have Rusty's 4.5 and the rear leaves had to be rebuilt. Front coils are nice though. If I had to do it again, RE.

I was going to go with rustys at first, but after shipping issues and then charging a CCs for stuff that hasn't shipped yet, and other bad customer service issues I went with RE. I have one thing from rustys on my rig and no more. That part alone is about to get trashed here pretty soon. I have seen some of his new stuff and it's better than it used to be, but still don't like the over all rusty setup he has going on.

What ever you go with sence it sounds like you got more of a DD rig than trail get OME shocks you will love them.

Everything on my rig is Rusty's i have the long arm springs ect..Never had a prob with them and they always have been more than helpful with me...I'll buy from them again..

my vote is for RE I have the 4.5 and couldn't be happier got mine from jeepin.com with the OME shocks it drives amazing. I only have the TC drop and very minor vibes @ WOT. One other thing that changed my mind was that most of the rigs I saw with Rustys stuff the back end usually sits noticably higher than the front.

I have had the Rusty's three inch springpack kit on my 99 for about 9 months now. I think it is OK. The balance of cost to quality is there. I was very lucky with the customer service. The rear springs gave FAR more lift than the regular rate coils and I had to add 1 1/2 inch spacers in front to level it out. I got a used set of upper and lower control arms and the are functional. I would rather have the finer threads like the JKS arms, but these fit the budget.
I got a Rusty's adjustable trackbar that was useless. It was too long and pushed things an inch to the passenger side. Same friend I got the control arms from had an HD trackbar bracket and bushing end, which allowed me to finally center my axle. I think I actually got around 4 or 4 1/2 inches.
An SYE will be the next thing I do. I have the 242 so I don't have many good options, I plan on going with the Tom Woods kit. I am hoping to be able to run a front driveshaft on the rear also.
If I had it to do again I would have waited and got the T&T longarm kit and aimed for 5-6 inches The cost is indeed more but I think the results would be worth it.
Good Luck,
Randy

cwlongshot said:
skyjackedxj96 said:
just because rustys has good deals does not mean its crap. he, like everytoher comp. has had some bad rep and bad expeiriance with products. RE is obviously better in that hard parts catagory, but IMO rustys springs are up there with the best, besides coilovers-great and soft and flex. thats why i run his springs.
I said everything Rustys makes....Rustys does not make his springs, he too buys them and resells them. I have Rustys 4" leafs in the back of my MJ and am very happy with them. BUT the fact that they had to be shipped THREE times and took almost two months to get to me....they where IN STOCK, is a customer service problem. I ordered front coil retainers at the same time....still havent received them...Rustys collected my money for them...you can bet your last dollar on that!!!! I have written them off....almost 4 months now no word, Rustys dont care, as I said they got thier money!

CW
chill out little boy. i know he doesnt make his springs. sorry your panties are in a bunch, u dont have to quote me and blow off steam.

front coil retainers? if i lost 2.00 us dollars like that i would be mad too!!! i forgot Rusty personally delivers products in his XJ

yea i lost a package in the mail one time, i have completely written off USPS lol

just because you never got it doesnt mean he didnt send it. did you contact them and ask if it was shipped, how about ups or usps or fedex etc.

im thinkin its a shipping problem not rustys, if it was just some random guy id say yea you got swindled, but an actual company who deals nationwide, i doubt he would run your money like that.

i agree with the statement that skyjackedxj96 said hes just like every other company good and bad experiences.

I have a couple things to add here. I used to work for Stroppini Enterprises, the maker of almost everything Rubicon Express sells (only about 2 miles north of their shop). I can tell you that every single piece that is manufactured for them must be PERFECT. We QC'd as often as possible on the CNC machines, and if the machine mig welds werent absolutely (and I mean ABSOLUTLY) perfect, they were junked.

So you know which kit I chose for my XJ I just bought?? Rusty's 3" AAL. First off I didnt want almost 5" of lift the RE 3.5 gives, and second, all I wanted was the springs and shocks, because Im planning on fabricating all the links with RE super flex joints in the near future. Even without modifying anything yet exept the hole in the trac bar mount to recenter the axle, it drives great. Its a 98 BTW. I have 31's on 15x8, 4"BS. Had to extend the bumpstops and trim only a little, none that is noticable from the outside of the jeep (exept for the very front where I decided to trim off the front fender part on the front bumper). As for driveline vibrations, only between 45-52 MPH, and minor. Nothing a Transfer case drop (gay in my opinion) or a 3° axle shim cant fix, cant say that for the huge RE 3.5 lift. Also, if you get the full leaf pack 3" rustys, you will be raked out at about 5 inches in the rear and only 3 in the front, I would go with the AAL, perfect height front and rear, and ride is fine, especially after you do some wheelin to break them in and CHEAP!! I am very happy with my setup and tires/ new rims/ lift only cost about $700 total, you cant beat that. Sorry for the essay but hope this helps.
-Jerry

I've run both and I say RE all the way. Rustys control arms are crap, is tracbar/mount are crap, his coils are too soft, his springs alot of the time are very uneven...etc.

I live close to Rusty and he is a good guy, I just won't buy from him again. Plus RE ends up being atleast as cheap as Rustys when you add everything to Rustys kit to make them complete like RE.

I have mostly Rustys stuff on the front of my XJ. 4.5 coils, UCA/LCA adjustables, track bar, drop bracket and frame support.

Coils almost hit the sway bar and can't get the axle centered.
Seems like the clunking noise is from the UCAs but not sure. Every bump on the highway seems to thump my foot pretty good. Didn't have that before the adjustables went in.
Track bar is too long. Even when I removed the jam nut, it is still about 1 inch to long and has the axle pushed to far to the right.

As I redue my lift from 6.5 (using pucks) up to 8in lift, I plan to replace the parts with RE as I go. Whatever I can keep and use, I will but I see a long arm kit in the future with 8" lift. Just need to start gathering parts.

I ran 3" for a long time w/ no SYE or transfer case drop. I'd drive to Moab, wheel for a while and hope not to break anything too bad, then drive home. Kept the stock gears and ran 32's. My only huge issues were steering which an adjustible track bar and drop down bracket (from Rustys) seemed to fix. But, if you don't have that much to spend, don't start modifing your jeep...

RE Coils and SuperRides LCAs up front and DakPak in the bak.

Actually I have the superflex arms but you said you do lots of highway. The only differances is the vibs and noise transmitted to the body from the road It is road noise. The rubber super ride bushings do not transmit the noise to the same effect as super flex joints do.

If you are looking to stay under 500 there are a couple of short cuts that can be done the Dak Pak is one of them. just get some S10 or Dakota packs from a bone yard and re-use the XJ main leaf and the bone yard springs to net you the desired lift to match the front.

Back